2001 MANIACS: FIELD OF SCREAMS

The movies of 2010 still live
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: 2001 MANIACS: FIELD OF SCREAMS

Post by Grindhouse »

stewartguitar wrote:Once again I'm being lazy and copying a review I posted elsewhere, not aimed at the FF cognoscenti. You have to see this film for what it is and not expect too much. I had a great time.

From my FB page:

Not much plot, no really believable characters, not much in the way of subtext, subtlety, themes, or any of the things that movie reviewers like, but I laughed like a loon.

There are some of the most ridiculously gruesome deaths I've ever seen on film, apparently using anything that was lying about, some gratuitous nudity, and diaogue that will cause offence to anyone gay, black, Jewish, male, female or American.

I saw it at Frightfest Glasgow and director Tim Sullivan introduced it with the news that the censors haven't seen it yet, so this cut of the film may never actually make it to any screen anywhere.

What saves it from being awful trash is the jolly mood, the total glee and wit with which victims are dispatched, a certain self-awareness and self-parody, and some very strong comic performances from a cast who were all obviously having a great time.

It comes across as a strange hybrid of nasty exploitative horror, trashy 70s movies from the likes of John Waters and Jess Franco, and the Addams Family. The mood was consistently light, never straying into Fulci-esque voyeuristic gore.

Definitely worth seeing if you're not easily offended and have a strong stomach, and if you liked Braindead and the Evil Dead films.

Don't take your Granny though, in case she gets ideas.
Oh come on its a cheap tits and ass movie for the after pub crowd,for those daft enough to rent or buy it, mentioning it in the same light as sam raimi's movies or peter jackson's early films is giving this too much credit.
no doubt it will make its money back as its production is as cheap as its humour,but expect this in bargain buckets soon and charity shops as buyers soon discard it.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Gotta agree with Grindy.

This is a disposable piece, not to be taken seriously. I made that mistake with the first one, thinking it was a straight horror when it's in fact about tits and ass mainly with a spattering of gore thrown in for good measure
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Wish I'de stayed to watch this now sounds like good fun.
"The little pissed Welsh tit is here. And pissed"
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

Horrendous. Tim Sullivan is a GREAT guy who has made three bad films.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I've now seen this (at the Prince Charles) as I won a ticket in the online draw, for which I do give thanks.

It ain't good. Oh, Mr Sullivan certainly talks a good movie. But this quite definitely isn't up there with his other MANIACS film. And that was okay but not significantly better than that. I kind of liked DRIFTWOOD in parts.... But 2001M:FOS just seems to be revelling in its unPC T+A for the sake of it. Oh, so we've got the gay/Jewish/black "jokes" but to what end?

Mention of TRAILER PARK OF TERROR reminds me that though that isn't a great film, the leads are appealing enough to get you to empathise with them. Why should I care about 2001M:FOS's set of victims, especicially its central pair of air-headed sub-Paris Hilton morons which the film takes ages to set up? I don't. Frankly I'm on the side of the yee-hawing rednecks, so bring them on and kill them and don't waste my time about it. That would take about 5 minutes. And the worst thing is that there's every sign that they're just going to keep making these things over and over. The well ran dry during the first one. Really, we deserve better than indifferent T+A shots of frankly not spectacularly attractive women and enthusiastic splatter. A decent plot and some vaguely interesting characters for a start.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Only slightly better than the now notorious Zombie Women Of Satan. A few laughs, a couple of decent deaths scenes, but all too often the humour fell flat, while the film also suffered from some poor acting. Some of the political / social commentary added a little more depth, but ultimately this was as forgettable as some of its targets. A generous 6.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.