2001 MANIACS: FIELD OF SCREAMS

The movies of 2010 still live
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

2001 MANIACS: FIELD OF SCREAMS

Post by iomega »

Tim Sullivan travelled all the way from LA to join us, so lets here what you thought of his film.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: 2001 MANIACS: FIELD OF SCREAMS

Post by Satans Puppy »

Hooray Tim Sullivan needs to have my babies!!! Top guy and funny intro to frozen. His views on Avatar are spot on... Fuck Avatar!!!

But... although Field Of Screams was better than the first. I wonder how much of the unPC stuff will make it through censors :lol:
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i thought Tim Sullivan was a top guy,he could do a one man show get him back next year or for August.
but thats where my praise ends sadly,i really wanted to like his movie but sadly its not good.
the intro sequence sets a tone the rest of the film cant keep up with,steven goldman did it perfectly with Trailer Park Of Terror,which is fun and entertaining sadly Field Of Screams,is neither of those,i mean they packed everything in the film to offend sadly they left everything out to entertain,hes obviously copied postal and just thrown as much shit on the screen to get a laugh and offend,the wayans brothers do this much better,and its as far from horror as horror can be,its not really horror just horrific to watch.
Bill Mosely was great,cmon Tim do better next time.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Totally agree Grindy... he has some good ideas but I think he has some issues getting them onto the screen in a satisfying way... :(

With a frightfest audience the film was entertaining enough but had it been a purchase I think I woulda been a touch disappointed and harsher in my views.

But the guy was incredibly funny in the flesh :)
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Tim Sullivan should be a stand up comedian!

The movie - meh, I am fed up of southern tw@ts and it was rather Benny Hill for me.

There were funny bits.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
philwheat
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by philwheat »

I loved Field of Screams... it was just like watching a horror comic on the big screen. Some inventive deaths, the first of which I can see perhaps having trouble with the censors... The later death with Scarlet and Val - did NOT see that coming! As I said in my review: "Completely politically incorrect, completely OTT, and completely bats**t insane! But also completely brilliant!"

Tim Sullivan was a great guest, he definitely needs to be another Frightfest regular ala Adam and Joe, had a nice chat with him on Saturday night about my review (which he enjoyed - a fact which made my weekend). Looking forward to watching my free Driftwood DVD too!

Full review here: http://www.blogomatic3000.com/2010/02/2 ... f-screams/
Geishagirl
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Geishagirl »

Loved Tim Sullivan, man he is a funny dude- he should be in front of the camera rather than behind it. His intros for both Maniacs and Frozen were funny as. Sadly though, as much as I love 2001 Maniacs (and I really do! Esp Granny singing the dosey doe underneath a make shift liberty bell- haha) the sequel seemed to have less to offer. Apart from the table scene set up like the Last Supper- where we finally get to see em' eat some meat- the whole film was tits, Girl on girl, not so memorable death scenes..too many cast members- no audience connection with the characters, and bare knuckle humour that does about as much damage as a foam finger. Was so disappointed! How can someone as funny as Tim make a film that falls so flat??!! I'd love to have been able to big this film up, cos' I think Tim's a great guy. But i'm all about the truth... and sadly in this case- the truth hurts more than a blade between the legs.
"When you look at your life in a strange new room, almost drowning soon, is this the start of it all?"
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Having not seen the first film (and being told that it is bloody good fun), i was expecting this to have the humour of Wrong Turn 2 and the grittiness of Devil's Rejects... sadly I was very disappointed - another T and A movie with a bit of blood and guts to satisfy the gorehounds - not exactly a horror comedy.

Unfortunately, as funny a guy as Tim is, the Avatar rant and mentions of Landis and AWWIL as inspirations failed to serve him well, as it merely made the film even more of a disappointment.

I really don't agree with the idea of slagging someone else off to try and make yourself look better.
refuseliam
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by refuseliam »

I'm going to be watching the UK premiere of '2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams' in Sheffield this Thursday. I hope it's just as good as the first movie.

I'm really intrigued to know what the gist of Tim's 'Avatar' rant was! :D
Add me on Facebook (I'm a social networking whore); http://www.facebook.com/refuseliam
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

In a nutshell, that Avatar was a great demonstration of CGI but not much cop for anything else - unfortunately his argument wasn't put forward with much finesse and came across as a bit of a bitch rant just to make people laugh - while it was quite humorous, unfortunately after watching 2001 Maniacs: field of screams I realised that he was in no position to throw stones....
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

But he was right about his Avatar rant... it is Ferngully's Story from start to finish with a new species and flashy looks.

At least 2001 Maniacs attempts to be original but fails to be any good :lol:

sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

refuseliam wrote:I'm going to be watching the UK premiere of '2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams' in Sheffield this Thursday.
That would be the English premiere, no? :wink:
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Much preferred Trailer Park Of Terror to this, I just thought did it so much better. Time is a really decent enough guy and I loved Driftwood to bits.

This film was fun, good with a FF crowd but it was flawed, way to much sexual stuff and not enough horror.

I'm not mad on horror and comedy crossing paths, sometimes it works but my own feeling is that if something is a horror then if you start adding to the mix a comedy as well surely that dilutes the horror down.

I'm not saying don't have some humour in films, even Rec2 made me laugh at times but in a subtle way.
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Thought Tim Sullivan was a amusing bloke. Shame about his film. My god this film was mish mash. At times there was humour and other times i was cringing. Did not know where this film was going. Where there was blood. That was good. A bit much of the sex scenes. Does slow down a already slow going film.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
stewartguitar
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by stewartguitar »

Once again I'm being lazy and copying a review I posted elsewhere, not aimed at the FF cognoscenti. You have to see this film for what it is and not expect too much. I had a great time.

From my FB page:

Not much plot, no really believable characters, not much in the way of subtext, subtlety, themes, or any of the things that movie reviewers like, but I laughed like a loon.

There are some of the most ridiculously gruesome deaths I've ever seen on film, apparently using anything that was lying about, some gratuitous nudity, and diaogue that will cause offence to anyone gay, black, Jewish, male, female or American.

I saw it at Frightfest Glasgow and director Tim Sullivan introduced it with the news that the censors haven't seen it yet, so this cut of the film may never actually make it to any screen anywhere.

What saves it from being awful trash is the jolly mood, the total glee and wit with which victims are dispatched, a certain self-awareness and self-parody, and some very strong comic performances from a cast who were all obviously having a great time.

It comes across as a strange hybrid of nasty exploitative horror, trashy 70s movies from the likes of John Waters and Jess Franco, and the Addams Family. The mood was consistently light, never straying into Fulci-esque voyeuristic gore.

Definitely worth seeing if you're not easily offended and have a strong stomach, and if you liked Braindead and the Evil Dead films.

Don't take your Granny though, in case she gets ideas.