STAG NIGHT

The movies of 2010 still live
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

STAG NIGHT

Post by iomega »

Pete Dowling as travelled all the way form LA to join us and feature the weekends most original death, but what do you think?
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Re: STAG NIGHT

Post by krispyg »

When Frightfest became FightFest :lol:
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

This film made me actually feel physically sick from the motion, and I have never experienced that before. I had to leave about half way through.

Why were there aboriginal people in the subway? :lol:
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
philwheat
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by philwheat »

Mixed feelings about this one... Some pretty good deaths and one REALLY good one (you know which). Felt a little too DTV and had waaay too much shaky-cam, but you could see glimmers of great direction hidden in there, I think Dowling just needs to rely less on his cinematographer(s).
Geishagirl
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Geishagirl »

Not much to say about this one.. apart from recognising 'Shannon' from footballers Wives and the Irish Dude from SATC.. i'm at a loss. The fight/struggle/murder sequences were quite weird- had an action film feel to them, and what was with the over-usage of the slow mo?? yes its a friggin chicken- why so we have to watch it in slow motion?? Bizzare. The premise wasn't bad, again too many characters and dudes that looked alike- I didn't know who woz who half the time. But If I could have shot the movie, I would have started it in the Underground and kept the audience locked up and claustrophobic with the characters. There was no need for the shots outside the pub or the generic stock room shots of NY. the audience were stuck down there with them and the director goes and breaks the tension at a crucial moment by taking us outside when he (being the character) is still inside. I would have shot the entire film in the subway and abandoned the shots of the girlfriend. Really cheesy and quite unforgiving writing for a script-writer, one great death scene- always love it when the tracks move :) Apart from that, it was average. I coulda made it better ;p
"When you look at your life in a strange new room, almost drowning soon, is this the start of it all?"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

The shaky cam during the moments that mattered annoyed me. We're horror fans, it's a horror film... we want to see the pay off of kills, not the aftermath. The struggle for survival is what we love but when you deny us that moment of surrender by making your scenes a blur due to a camera mounted on a vibrator, then your film becomes as half decent slasher becomes just below average.

Thanks for the chat after Grindy!! It was nice to chat with ya, you know your stuff... I'm a pleb when it comes to facts and horror general knowledge :lol:
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Horror has a new brand & its StagNight,so add that to the hills have eyes & wrong turn brands of the horror genre.
I didnt mind it,and i thought it was ok,the kills were a bit tame and hard to see with the motion and darkness,at times it was confusing.
i had no expectations of the film,but it left me lacking in any tension or sense of peril.
it could have been better,just a bit too tame for my liking,which i did mention to the director and producer.

for me Alexandre Aja's Hills remake and Wrong Turn remain the better films of this resurged genre.
but Deathline is the best film set on the underground for me then MMT
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by krispyg »

It did show promise and I would like to see what the director does next as this was a great first film.

Totally agree about the shaky cam, way way too much of that for my liking.

Don't get how they got stuck in the same bit of tunnel, surely you could keep moving onwards?

And as for the creatures (or whatever they were), sorry but sunburned Rob Zombie lookalikes hiding out underground? And why were they there, surely that could have been explained better.

So it''s a so-so sort of film for me but I do like what the director has done and think the potential is there for bigger and better things and would wish him luck for the futire.
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Those folks just were dwellers on the subway system,only they obviously get fed up with normal food and like flesh instead,and tasty looking women dead or alive,you know every underground system has them,obviously there are different variants depending on the film.

Deathline
has trapped tunnelers/miners abandoned and left for fead,feeding on hapless folks,who just happen to be in the wrong time wrong place.
"mind the doors"

CHUD general underground inhabitants mutated by toxic or radioactive waste.

Mimic bugs imitating and feeding off the vagrants underground

MMT Mahogany stalking victims for a timeless purpose

Extreme Measures underground dwellers being used for medical experiments all in the good name of science.

Creep
a medical experiment gone wrong goes nuts on londons underground.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Liked the setting and these mysterious figures lurking underground. Some good deaths only just slightly marred by shakycam. Had building tension and a rather good last scene.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
stewartguitar
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by stewartguitar »

Once again I'm pasting a review I wrote for Facebook. This film annoyed me a little only because of what it nicked from better films. There is a point at which homage becomes plagiarism, and perhaps he crossed that point once or twice. But I enjoyed it. just to keep me awake at that time of night it had to be pretty good.

And my kids loved Raggydolls, so the director's cool.

MY FB review:

The most negative thing I can say about this movie is that I kept being reminded of other films. It has moments taken almost directly from Creep, Deliverance, the Descent, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and a dozen others. Again and again I was jolted by a sense of deja vu when a mis-en-shot, a line of dialogue or a set piece would nag at me until remembered what it made me think of.

Having said that, it's a well-made, well-paced film which, with very little preamble, gets a handful of slightly cliched heroes running away from very scary bad guys.

I could criticise more, but as the film progressed I found myself getting more involved and feeling the tension just as the director meant me to. I even began to empathise with the characters, really willing them to escape. And there are some splendid deaths, one I've never seen before that got a cheer and a laugh from the Frightfest audience.

So not much orginal here but an enjoyable couple of hours. Despite its flaws it gets its claws into you and does the job better than a lot of recent horrors I've seen. A director to watch for the future I think.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

I didn't know Rob Zombie was going to be in it lol.

Total rubbish.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by krispyg »

That was my first initial thoughts, a toasted Rob Zombie living on the subway

Not a bad film by any means, flawed but enjoyable.
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I quite liked this one, although some of the action scenes were too fast / indistinct, while the villains' credibility suffered from their daft grunting noises and lack of characterisation. Some of the action scenes were better handled though and there were a few memorable death scenes! Sad to see one of the main characters killed off shortly before the end.... 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.