A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN

The movies of 2010 still live
42nd Street Freak
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN

Post by 42nd Street Freak »

Satans Puppy wrote:
lupogirl wrote:Visually did look good. Especially like the interior and exterior shots of Alexandra Palace. At times I thought it was a bit slow going. Scenes of ongoing chases. Made this film at times amusing. Not often you get a inspector whistling some annoying tune.
lol the whistling inspector was so rude especially during the final act when he was whistling while someone was talking away to him

And let us not forget who Fulci had whistling. The great Stanley Baker.
It takes some skill to make the viewer dread the appearance of such an actor as Stanley Baker!
Fulci pulled it off though with this farcical whistling fetish he gave his character.

Dull and annoying film, but at least it wasn't "Door to Silence".
stewartguitar
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by stewartguitar »

I'm not a big Fulci fan. I don't think he ever understood acting and how to get good performances out of his cast, and he has never paced a movie well - he tends to string his set-pieces together with bits of awful dialogue rather than properly plot the whole film.

However, he does have a distinctive visual style, and a nice eye for colour and an artistically balanced shot. There was a lot to enjoy in this film, but it was nothing like the gripping thriller it could have been. And it was before he became a proper eye-gouging sadist, so it wasn't as uncomfortable a watch as some of his later work.

Great music, and one I'm glad I can say I've seen, but I probably won't watch it for fun again.
Filth87
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Filth87 »

"I remember that night - My wind-screen wiper broke!"

I liked it, thought it could go either way, but the plot was decent and was full of brilliant quotes. The whistling cop was awesome, had my pal doing it for the rest of the night though...
Dead girls can't say 'no'!
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Now let's hope Alan, Helen and Optimum can find a way to sneak Don't Torture A Duckling to a future Frightfest line-up with its even more amazing (if shorter) Florinda Bolkan performance. "That" sequence in the graveyard would be stunning on the big screen.

I miss those retro screenings on Friday afternoons.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

Filth87 wrote:"I remember that night - My wind-screen wiper broke!"

I liked it, thought it could go either way, but the plot was decent and was full of brilliant quotes. The whistling cop was awesome, had my pal doing it for the rest of the night though...
Brilliant line. Makes you think was GIALLO intentionally bad?
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

daveroughcut wrote:
Filth87 wrote:"I remember that night - My wind-screen wiper broke!"

Brilliant line. Makes you think was GIALLO intentionally bad?
Dont' get carried away, LOL.

My favorite unintentionally hilarious Fulci line is "damn tombstones" in House by the Cemetary, but you have to see it in context.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Most of the dialogue Christopher Connelly recites in Manhattan Baby is comedy gold, too.
Marlin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marlin »

As is the quacking serial killer in NYR.

I really enjoyed seeing Lizard's Skin on the big screen, but it isn't one of the very best. I'd certainly have preferred duckling or plummage. Re retro screening, I'd love to see someone restore In a Glass Cage or Who Can Kill a Child?

:)
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

It was the most apposite for Amer, though. Just glad it's coming put in the UK at all, to be honest.

Hmmmm....a big screen Giallo Day with Alan Jones. If this country had a New Beverly....
Scrof the Return
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Scrof the Return »

A great film and good to finally see the most complete version after first of all seeing the heavily cut pre-cert VHS, the more complete French VHS, etc.

Hard to believe that the "not massively convincing" laboratory dogs scene caused such a fuss:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Rambaldi
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Classic giallo for the event's retro screening. Plenty of new footage, especially at the start and one of the deaths, that I hadn't seen before. The film's strengths remain its psychological twists and turns. Still to be added to and polished up for the final version - hopefully this includes some of the lip-sync issues. Some of the characters also had different voices / accents at different points in the film, which was off-putting - presumably as a result of using multiple sources, so I'm not sure if this will be addressed for the definitive version or not. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.