[REC.2]

The movies of 2010 still live
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

[REC.2]

Post by iomega »

Certainly the most anticipated film of the weekend, but did what did you think?
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Re: [REC.2]

Post by krispyg »

I think it's obvious what i'm gonna say as I loved the first one as it did genuinely scare the hell out of me.

Rec 2 seemed to show more about the back story, how the virus was created and why. Aside from that it was a great mix of scares, some obvious, some totally unexpected. The addition of a sneaky bit of humour here and there didn't go unnoticed either.

I loved it and this was an absolute personal highlight for me and if the rumours are true then I can't wait for Rec 3 to be made!

Awesome awesome movie. Worth the trip to Glasgow alone just for this!
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

These guys can certainly build tension leading to a scare.

The firework bit? I was just waiting for a head popping climax.

Although it was a little bit camp in places... the Ministry of Health plot reveal!! :D
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

Utterly superb, but the line "Tt's our only chance" was used way too many times!!
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Well, this movie was right up my street, everything I wanted from the sequel. The plot went exactly where I wanted it to go following up on the plot we started to discover at the end of the first movie.

And I love marine types and can see why Paul drew the comparison Alien = REC, Aliens = REC 2.

Fun and funny and entertaining. Loved the posession stuff.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Geishagirl
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Geishagirl »

I was a little disappinted with this movie-I loved the first one so so much and it scared the hell outta me, but with this one is seemed a little more silly and camped up for laughs. I thought that they would have came up with some new and original material for the sequel but somehow the didn't. I didn't find it jumpy or scary..in fact I felt it was quite generic. The only reason the 'teens' were introduced was to create more victims and it all seemed a little pointless. Also, there seemed to be a lack of female characters in the film. This was the film I was most looking forward to, and its probably not met my expectations because of my love for the first one. I love the directors and hope they continue to make movies together- jaume's 'To Let' is also a fav of mine. Hopfully when I watch it for a second time it will rock my world a lil bit more.
"When you look at your life in a strange new room, almost drowning soon, is this the start of it all?"
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

I liked it, but it really didn't scare me. I think because the pace is so relentless that there is very little time to develop any affinity with the characters and thus I really didn't care what happened to anyone. Also in the middle section with the kids the hand held style (what was it supposed to be a handy cam, or a phone?) went OTT to the point that I couldn't really work out what was going on.

It's a good flick, but the Alien/Aliens is a bit off IMHO (not a dig at Paul, I've been using it as well) because Aliens has a solid hour of character stuff before it kicks off.

Safe to say though, that if you liked Rec you will like Rec2.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

A much better sequel than i thought it would be,thankfully in rec2 the scares that were so great in [REC] have been omitted from this one,as much as they are rec's strength they are also its weakness as once experienced,its difficult to be scared by them again.
Luckily in rec2 we get none of that but a great thrill fest of action gore and an expanded storyline that sweeps the viewers into its world.
i loved all the alternate views from the helmet cams and it was like watching G.R.A.W. and felt like we were there.
It didnt hold back on the gore and shocks and really delivered bigtime a great movie and one that has so much repeat viewing.
awesome film and will go down as one of the best sequels yet.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Not as good as the first. Still entertaining. With hardly any jumps. More of back story, which I didn't quite buy,as to why people got infected. Some amusing moments but very much the gore has been toned down.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
stewartguitar
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

a disappointment

Post by stewartguitar »

I found it a bit contrived. They spent some time explaining why the marines needed helmet cameras (surely not just so it could look like the first film?), and when we ran out marines, some teenagers with a camcorder magically turn up, so we can continue with the same format. these are just clunky plot devices.

I also didn't like the quasi-religious explanations and the whole demonic thing - part of what made the first film work was our confusion, and the furious unfathomable aggression of the zombies, or whatever they were.

I get the feeling some grey suits found out how much money the original had made and decided to try to replicate its success. As usual no-one looked in enough detail into what made [REC] great, and copied the format rather than the subtleties.

I may have thought more highly of it if I didn't know the first film. It would be interesting to hear the views of anyone who saw this this without having seen the original. Please step forward.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

Pure horror and absolutely perfection. Shame it leaked out all over the internet the night before from the Asian DVD release.
Filth87
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Filth87 »

The story was very ambitious, but pulled off amazingly, and didn't leave you thinking it was a lot of balls (like it would sound if explained).

What also surprised me was the first contact with an "Infected" in which the whole theatre was laughing, wonder if they intended for that? Worked amazingly regardless.

My girlfriend had to skip REC and Splice, to play some gig, so we're hoping Cineworld are showing it this time round (I caught the original one in the Glasgow one a few months after 2008 FF)

-M
Dead girls can't say 'no'!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

No direct remake for this one:
'Quarantine 2' Gets New Location and Writer/Director

The original Spanish version of Quarantine titled REC was a diamond in the rough that took the genre to the next level on a shoestring budget. Naturally a sequel followed. The American, shot for shot remake, retitled Quarantine (for American audiences) which was shown theater wide here in the states also had similar success however there is one difference, REC 2 made a theatrical release Quarantine 2 will be a direct to DVD/Blu-Ray...

STYD reports that a writer/director has been found to continue the “Quarntine” story, which will take the action out of the apartment of like in the original and moves things to an airport setting.

The odd news is in the Spanish sequel, the action immediately continued after the events of the first film, and was once again set in the same building location. For some odd reason they are ditching the shot by shot remake and going in their own direction. Writer/director John Pogue ("The Skull" & "Ghost Ship") will be taking over the franchise for production company Screen Gems.

Co-written and co-directed by Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza, the Spanish “REC” has become a profitable horror franchise overseas. 2008’s “Quarantine”, made $41 million worldwide from a $12 million dollar budget.
http://www.horrorbid.com/blog/blog1.php ... -and-write
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

From the director of Ghost Ship.

Hmmm :lol:
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Filth87
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Filth87 »

I never saw Quarantine on purpose, I try and discourage people from re-making brilliant foreign films just cause Americans apparently can't be bothered watching with subs (yes, it's usually always "...for American audiences").

Word is they're doing the same with Let The Right One In.

-M
Dead girls can't say 'no'!