SPLICE

The movies of 2010 still live
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

SPLICE

Post by iomega »

Vincenzo Natali's monster movie starring Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley. What were your thoughts on this Frankenstein fable for the modern era?
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Re: SPLIC

Post by krispyg »

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this but I really did. It seems to have split opinion, some loved it, some didn't rate it at all.

It's nice when a film surprises you and this did exactly just that. You make the monster. The monster can then destroy you at it's will.

The most disturbing thing relating to this film was when a certain forum member was asking "Dren, would you...." on Facebook shortly afterwards

I won't embarrass them....
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: SPLICE

Post by Satans Puppy »

LOVED IT... up until the final act when it became a full on creature feature.

I sorta wished that they'd gone the "She's done something terrible route" and the struggle of covering up a terrible secret for their 'child' but another near miss forces a hard heart shattering decision.

Woulda been better to have an emotional ending than a RAR ending. After all we got to see DREN grow up.
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
jerichodark
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by jerichodark »

I also thought it lost it a little towards the end. I thought Dren was an interesting creation, as a child, she was just human enough to be sympathetic and just "other" enough to be a little disturbing.

It didnt always seem to know where it was going in terms of the narrative and the final 15/20 minutes were standard creature feature fare which was a shame as it had potential to be amazing.

That said, I still really enjoyed it.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Sorry, I thought this was a deeply, deeply stupid film. I hate supposedly serious SF where the scientists act like utter morons. Some good CG and production design do not make up for it jumping of the roof of the idiocy barn and then hitting every branch on the cliche tree on the way down.

Does it come across that I utterly LOATHED it!
Last edited by MaxRenn on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I enjoyed this a lot, great fun and I dont mind silly scientists lol.

I felt quite engaged with the creature and felt all the appropriate emotions, and would definately watch this for fun and put it on when mates come around.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Geishagirl
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Geishagirl »

Probably one of my personal favourites of this years fest, It was funny, well written and bascically done everything it said on the tin. I loved it! In saying that, I have no intelligent or critical comments to make, it is one of those films that is almost completely devoid of discussion theories or analytical views. It was fun, and Dren was great ;)
"When you look at your life in a strange new room, almost drowning soon, is this the start of it all?"
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

Thought this was really enjoyable, although the first hour of the film is the best, with a genuine sense of tension as the two scientists defy the corporation and carry on their "frankenstein" experiment.

Was expecting the child to turn into some suitably yukky "fly" style monster, not Audrey Tatou with wings, who wants to sleep with her parents, but you cannot have it all.

It did split the audience, but it was a good watch, with a Cronenberg flavour.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Didnt see this one and i was torn between 30secondstomars gig and splice,Splice lost.
look forward to catching it soon when its released.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Rather enjoyed this one. When i first saw footage at last years Frightfest. I was intrigued at this creature. Which looked like a featherless chicken.

At times I did smirk at what the characters were saying so deadpan. During the course of the film felt sympathy for Dren. Just cringed a bit with what Adrian Brody's character got up to.

Really like it when Dren sprouted wings. Very angelic.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
stewartguitar
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by stewartguitar »

This film annoyed me although I suspect it wasn't all the filmmakers' fault.

The narrative was plodding, the characters underdeveloped, the plot bog-standard, apart from a perverse shock in the middle. And the science made no sense at all.

I don't think the film decided what it was about. It touched glancingly on several themes but never explored anything very deeply, never expressed an opinion, and didn't seem to invite the audience into any kind of debate.

It was about, depending on your point of view:

-science and the dangers therein

-family

-the responsibilities of parenthood

-SEX! - and gender, if that's a different thing (Men are bad, obv)

-Global capitalism and the lack of morality of same

and a few other old chestnuts.

These themes were so prominent I wondered if the film had been gelded by a timid distributor. To bring up so many major issues then ignore all the moral questions that arise seems absurd, so perhaps some scenes were cut, either to keep the pace up or because the scenes made some execs nervous. Some of the imagery seemed to scream allegory but nobody ever mentions it.

In a few years a director's cut will probably appear and we'll all say "Oh, that's what it's all about". In the meantime we can enjoy it as a slightly silly fable, more like a classical tragedy than a modern horror film. We could see the doom of the central characters in the decisions they made in the first reel.

Dren was really cute though, and the only really sympathetic character in the movie. Very good CGI to make a three-fingered cloven-hoofed angel child so real.
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

I totally would.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

Well last year they raped a corpse so why not sex with a genetic mutant?

I liked it but spent the film wanting to punch the row behind me for talking and nay-saying through the whole thing. Stay at home with your DVDs morons!
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

dangerous_jamie wrote:I totally would.
Soooo wrong :lol:
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: SPLIC

Post by Melvin Junko »

krispyg wrote: The most disturbing thing relating to this film was when a certain forum member was asking "Dren, would you...." on Facebook shortly afterwards

I won't embarrass them....
That sounds like one sick individual.

And yes is SO would!
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!