Centurion

The movies of 2010 still live
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Centurion

Post by ghouldrool »

Nice to see Axelle Carolyn getting some long overdue onstage presence at FF.

Strange 3D style opening credits. Handsome looking clip promising quite a ride. If its one thing Marshall can deliver is a strong concept - despite how an individual might perceive the end resulting film.

Such a shame there was no way to have it begin with the letter D
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Centurion

Post by Satans Puppy »

Loved the clip... Wasn't too keen on the dialogue though. But DING... action, top notch!

Axelle is now on twitter... Joined today... www.twitter.com/axellecarolyn
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

actually puppy i had a whole passage typed lamenting the dialogue - particularly the "arsehole of the world" bit. However that might have kicked me off on the whole "sorry to piss on your chips" bit in doomsday. urgh
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
The Dug
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by The Dug »

ghouldrool wrote:actually puppy i had a whole passage typed lamenting the dialogue - particularly the "arsehole of the world" bit. urgh
That was the bit of dialogue that done it for me. I wasn't expecting 100% historically accurate speech, but that part pulled me out of a film that otherwise could be an enjoyable romp. It prompted me to correct Neil Marshall afterwards when he he had said that it was bollocks that the Pictish people would have spoken a language closer to ancient Welsh, but this is fact. Indeed the Pictish language would be closer to Welsh than any other Celtic language.

The filmakers have chosen Scottish Gaelic - but without getting too technical this is far from being close. The Picts and the Gaels were/are two very different tribes from the same land. But because of Marshall's ignorant dismissal of a question put forward by one of the audience, coupled with the 'arsehole of the world' dialogue i felt as if i should correct him.

This might read as being anti Marshall, but it's not. I've enjoyed two of his films very much, but felt he came across as trying to be a wee bit smarter than he is. Especially after the clunky dialogue we heard in the footage shown.

Regards,

The Dug
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

ghouldrool wrote:actually puppy i had a whole passage typed lamenting the dialogue - particularly the "arsehole of the world" bit. However that might have kicked me off on the whole "sorry to piss on your chips" bit in doomsday. urgh
That was the line that did it for me but I think I put "Arse End" in my chris and phil write up... DOH!!! :)

But still the action pulled ya right back in :D
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Well I loved 'Dog Soldiers' and 'The Descent' but I've found Marshall to be condescending, in person and during the Q&A.
"The little pissed Welsh tit is here. And pissed"
The Dug
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by The Dug »

PeterPan wrote:Well I loved 'Dog Soldiers' and 'The Descent' but I've found Marshall to be condescending, in person and during the Q&A.
Exactly mate, i concur on both counts regarding his films and his manner.

I met you earlier in the day Peter. I asked if you knew Sheridan/Zappa Fan, but he comes from Cardiff and you're Swansea i believe. I told you i didn't post on the forums, but occasionaly lurk :) . Well here i am posting :D

Regards,

The Dug
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

The Dug wrote:
ghouldrool wrote:actually puppy i had a whole passage typed lamenting the dialogue - particularly the "arsehole of the world" bit. urgh
That was the bit of dialogue that done it for me. I wasn't expecting 100% historically accurate speech, but that part pulled me out of a film that otherwise could be an enjoyable romp. It prompted me to correct Neil Marshall afterwards when he he had said that it was bollocks that the Pictish people would have spoken a language closer to ancient Welsh, but this is fact. Indeed the Pictish language would be closer to Welsh than any other Celtic language.

The filmakers have chosen Scottish Gaelic - but without getting too technical this is far from being close. The Picts and the Gaels were/are two very different tribes from the same land. But because of Marshall's ignorant dismissal of a question put forward by one of the audience, coupled with the 'arsehole of the world' dialogue i felt as if i should correct him.

This might read as being anti Marshall, but it's not. I've enjoyed two of his films very much, but felt he came across as trying to be a wee bit smarter than he is. Especially after the clunky dialogue we heard in the footage shown.

Regards,

The Dug
I think he meant "bolloks" as in it would've sounded rubbish, all that gob running down that camera lens and such. It's a modern action film set in Roman times and it won't be any more inaccurate that the astonishingly inacurrate, and hated by this Scotsman alone, Braveheart. Being from Glasgow I loved the arsehole of the world line after all he is talking about the Borders. Wasn't brave enough to ask him where St. Andrews Hospital from Doomsday is is though!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Yeah but you think pandorum is an oscar winner... :P

*runs away*

The Dug
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by The Dug »

daveroughcut wrote:
I think he meant "bolloks" as in it would've sounded rubbish, all that gob running down that camera lens and such. It's a modern action film set in Roman times and it won't be any more inaccurate that the astonishingly inacurrate, and hated by this Scotsman alone, Braveheart. Being from Glasgow I loved the arsehole of the world line after all he is talking about the Borders. Wasn't brave enough to ask him where St. Andrews Hospital from Doomsday is is though!
Dave reading your post makes me think that you have the opinion that I'm upset by Marshall not being accurate, i'm not at all. Although I don't know what 'Braveheart' has to do with it?

The first thing i mentioned in my original post is that i didn't expect anything historically accurate. The reason i mention the languages was because as Peter Pan says Marshall came acoss as being a bit condescending and dismissive with his (bollocks) answer. If he hadn't been as 'smart' with his answer then i wouldn't have said a thing, but there is nothing wrong in clearing up peoples misconceptions and short sightedness.

But as i've said before i realise it is only a film and should be taken as such. Entertainment is all it is, but when filmakers have the opportunity, and a great opportunity at that, to stand before people and take questions and answers you can at the very least come across as being more courteous and mannerly in my opinion.

Regards,

The Dug
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

Satans Puppy wrote:Yeah but you think pandorum is an oscar winner... :P

*runs away*
No that's the other one. I'm the Random Elements one though i do like PANDORUM too.
Last edited by daveroughcut on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

The Dug wrote:
daveroughcut wrote:
Dave reading your post makes me think that you have the opinion that I'm upset by Marshall not being accurate, i'm not at all. Although I don't know what 'Braveheart' has to do with it?

The first thing i mentioned in my original post is that i didn't expect anything historically accurate. The reason i mention the languages was because as Peter Pan says Marshall came acoss as being a bit condescending and dismissive with his (bollocks) answer. If he hadn't been as 'smart' with his answer then i wouldn't have said a thing, but there is nothing wrong in clearing up peoples misconceptions and short sightedness.

But as i've said before i realise it is only a film and should be taken as such. Entertainment is all it is, but when filmakers have the opportunity, and a great opportunity at that, to stand before people and take questions and answers you can at the very least come across as being more courteous and mannerly in my opinion.

Regards,

The Dug
Not at all mate. I mention Braveheart cause its historical/Scottish based.
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

The Dug wrote:
PeterPan wrote:Well I loved 'Dog Soldiers' and 'The Descent' but I've found Marshall to be condescending, in person and during the Q&A.
Exactly mate, i concur on both counts regarding his films and his manner.

I met you earlier in the day Peter. I asked if you knew Sheridan/Zappa Fan, but he comes from Cardiff and you're Swansea i believe. I told you i didn't post on the forums, but occasionaly lurk :) . Well here i am posting :D

Regards,

The Dug
Hello pal glad to meet ya. :D
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

daveroughcut wrote: I think he meant "bolloks" as in it would've sounded rubbish, all that gob running down that camera lens and such.
Really have you heard ancient Welsh? As for gob running down the camera, the caricatures seen on TV, not particularly accurate. It's actually on the whole a soft language when spoken by a native. 8)
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Disney+
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey