A Serbian Film - PULLED from line-up

The movies of 2010 still live
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: A Serbian Film - PULLED from line-up

Post by brad1000 »

yet another fucking shambles.......i saw it coming a mile away.....never mind.Whats amazed me is how many people had already sen it anyway.....tons of you......kind of defeats the object of the festival no??if youre real lucky it will be replaced by a fucking Michael Jackson documentary.For what its worth piranha 3D is really cool so thats what id replace it with
the house shot her !!!
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Dom »

brad1000 wrote:yet another fucking shambles.......i saw it coming a mile away.....never mind.Whats amazed me is how many people had already sen it anyway.....tons of you......kind of defeats the object of the festival no??if youre real lucky it will be replaced by a fucking Michael Jackson documentary.For what its worth piranha 3D is really cool so thats what id replace it with
It just makes piracy even worse. "Heard of that film not even Frightfest could show? Follow this link...."

Crazy times we live in. Crazy times.
Eddie Krueger
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Eddie Krueger »

Strange, nothing on the FF website about the cancellation, the film is still showing on the timetable and listings and the Empire website still lists the film.
nekro
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nekro »

whats happening!!!!!!!!!! ive been looking forward to this for ages
durian22
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by durian22 »

i have seen this and imo this film should be banned. no wonder 4 minutes were chopped, who wants to see a new born baby raped. its disgusting and should never have been allowed in the first place.

there are uncut copies circulating the internet but i dont know how you would go about getting it, i was passed a copy two months ago and destroyed it i was so disgusted.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

As horrible as that scene sounds not everyone wants to know exactly what is in the film and would prefer to judge for themselves.

Your opinion of 'I've seen it, it's disgusting, no one else should see it' is exactly the sort of opinion causing the annoyance at the ban.

At a film festival, especially a horror one, I personally feel films should be shown unrated.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

damatotomato wrote:I DO want BBFC bods to stop cutting films that are to be shown at a horror film festival for a certain type of critical audience that has to see films in the genre UNCUT.
The BBFC do not classify films just for festival showings. The cuts were made for its general release, and that's what Westminster Council wanted to go by.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

iateabee
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by iateabee »

Any word yet on what's replacing it?
durian22
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by durian22 »

odishon wrote:As horrible as that scene sounds not everyone wants to know exactly what is in the film and would prefer to judge for themselves.

Your opinion of 'I've seen it, it's disgusting, no one else should see it' is exactly the sort of opinion causing the annoyance at the ban.

At a film festival, especially a horror one, I personally feel films should be shown unrated.
i take your point, but again, a newly born baby being raped and graphically filmed is not really great content. not much is upsetting to me, but that is and so it should be to you to if you have any morals
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Where are your spoiler morals? :P
Spencer
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Spencer »

gutted about this , I have not seen the film but talking to people that have apparently the offending scene is not really that graphic , more implied (ala texas chainsaw) but filmed in way where you think you have seen more than you have.

Bit puzzled by the fact that they wont show this cut but are happy to show ISOYG cut though?

Blow for me as I only do 5 or 6 per year due to work and both of these were on the agenda . still ISOYG is still supposed to be very powerful and it is only 45 secs.
http://twitter.com/roughtradeshops

http://lastblogontheleft2.wordpress.com/
damatotomato
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by damatotomato »

sherbetbizarre wrote:
damatotomato wrote:I DO want BBFC bods to stop cutting films that are to be shown at a horror film festival for a certain type of critical audience that has to see films in the genre UNCUT.
The BBFC do not classify films just for festival showings. The cuts were made for its general release, and that's what Westminster Council wanted to go by.
Westminster Council from what I hear, deny this. The BBFC did not HAVE to make the cuts, whether for a festival release or a general release. And maybe they should have the power to decide on cuts subject to a festival release, seperate to a general release. Frighfest organisers are saying dumb on the subject (they like to vocally slag off Argento films at festival events because they don't really understand the director's work) but they don't comment on refunds and reasons for films being pulled. They also promised us that ISOYG would be uncut. Anyway - I still think that, even if the BBFC cut this film for general release (and what the Guardian says has no bearing on truth for me at all, sorry!), the decision sucks. And who is that person going on about A Serbian Movie being 'morally wrong' ??? The scene is symbolic of rape from birth, of a country, of a person. It's also not real and not detailed. Murder on Poirot is illegal and the actuality horrible. But it's simulated. It's not real. Murder is as nasty as any kind of rape. It's all nasty. But sweet old ladies from Torquay dig Murder Mysteries. The BBFC cut a scene from Ages of Lulu with a naked baby at the start (gee - and who will this corrupt, the one person in every 10 million who think it's exciting in some way? - pah!) and thereby defeating the whole point of the film, and the film's title! The BBFC are essentially bods in suits who care little about films but have a career as a social services type - this is true, you won't become a BBFC examiner without this kind of career background!! The BBFC should be made redundant and an advisory panel instated. This latest decision has exposed them as complete idiots, once again, after a few years of improved relationship with genre fans. And as for the Guardian article you link to - news journalists suck, and know nothing about genre movies. The Guardian can't even spell horror. I don't trust or care about anything written by hacks. Magazine journalism in magazines such as Shivers (RIP) or DVD World etc I trust. Fangoria mostly sucks. And mags such as Empire are magazines about films for the under 16s. Use your own opinions. Form your own values. I'm afraid that this country is denied freedom of expression because of the likes of the BBFC and horror 'fans' who are scared off by real symbolic horrors of society (which most horror fans do not revel in seeing on screen, but accept is part symbolic, part trangressive media). I don't actually like 'real' horror, I prefer stylised horror - Argento, Fulci at al. But I support it's right to be shown. And yes, the BBFC pass films such as Salo. But not A Serbian Movie. Because Sight and Sound 'dig' Salo. They don't dig us - we are the underclass, the scum, the Araki unwashed (allegedly, and probably not, so don't edit me mr moderators!). The BBFC person apearing on Monday NEEDS to be presented with angry opinion and needs to have nerves of steel - let's challenge the cutters, the ruiners of film and artistic freedom, let's hurl our symbolic rom-com dvds across the room - let's show the doubters that horror is a vital and real part of film and the only genre that delves deep into the horrors of the mind, the body, the political system, and the soul. Like I said at last year's Giallo screening - if you don't get Giallo, you don't get Argento, and you don't get horror. If you don't get that the BBFC have a grudge against horror and genre films, then you don't get why the BBFC is essentially ready to be placed in the recycle bin, and a more modern system introduced. That's the truth of the matter. Deal with this.

dt
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

42nd Street Freak wrote: I can smell a Voorat from months away.
I genuinely don't care to get into a flameware with you, but what the hell is that supposed to mean?

It seems you are insinuating that some of the current controversies over the pulling of ASB have something to do with another member of this forum with whom you have had disagreements. It is not my place to speak on behalf of Voor, but despite writing an occasional column for the site he is not one of the festival organisers and I know for a fact he queues up and pays for his ticket like any other punter.

This sort of trolling is really quite juvenile mate.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Dear Angry People Of The Internet

Can we have a moratorium on people posting without facts, please?

Thanks

Sincerely,

Everyone Else
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]