Dead Cert

The movies of 2010 still live
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Dead Cert

Post by jonbly »

Ropey. Too ponderous, with mainly weak performances except for the lead and his boxer.

3/10
Morbid_Angel
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Dead Cert

Post by Morbid_Angel »

I'm think 3 out of 10 is a touch generous. I thought this was really poor. The premise was quite good and the film started off OK, but about half way through I was questioning why I hadn't gone home after Primal and made the last train. For the last half hour it just seemed that there were people wriggling around on the dancefloor of this nightclub and nothing else.

No tension, no gore, NO HORROR. And maybe I've watched Blade too many times but I expect my vampires to melt / dissolve / explode when they're soaked in holy water, not just fall over and die. And how did Billy Murray's character walk off at the end? He had a stake drilled through his heart!

I feel guilty being critical as I know it's not easy bringing a film to the big screen but this really needed a more cohesive storyline, a better script and sharper editing. Sorry.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Agree with the above, this film was dire.

Shame to see such a great cast being wasted on such a naff film, the idea was okay, but it was executed really poorly, and the east end geeza dialogue really got on my nerves - it gets really boring after a while when every line is "oi gav-nor ya facking cant"
splittter
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by splittter »

Yeah, can't disagree with the consensus on this one, it was pretty poor. Began to get worried when one of the cast pretty much apologised for the film before it had started, asking us to understand it was just some people having fun and don't take it too seriously ... well, given I just paid good money to see it, I'd prefer if you, y'know, tried to make something actually decent.

The worst thing for me was the number of ridiculous plot holes. If Dexter Fletcher was the one to manipulate the council to get the club, and he wanted the vampires to have it, why give it to his Brother-in-Law in the first place? Also, who the hell was Danny Dyer? Also, why did some people turn evil when they turned, whilst others stayed good guys? Fair enough it was low budget (and that really showed in the vampire death scenes. Just slumping to the floor under holy water? C'mon, at least let out a few horrendous screams), but it doesn't cost much to sort out the script.

Was also amused by the fact that, even in an unbelievably depraved vampire-run strip joint, where everyone is off their heads on Bliss (where did that plot thread go, by-the-way), no one so much a let down a bra-strap.
AnotherSchmuck
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by AnotherSchmuck »

Whole heartidly agree, this was utter shite, lazy film making at its best and how on earth they spent nearly $1million on this is beyond belief as there were films with smaller budgets with far greater stories, performances, effects on show at this years festival. I really want to bitch loads about this one but honestly is it worth it?

Utter shite, how was this on the Main Screen and Amer was on the Disco screen is beyond me...
"Horror films don't create fear. They release it." – Wes Craven

Instagram - timothyrobinparsons
Twitter - @AnotherSchmuck
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It's mostly terrible. Too much of it is sub-Ritchie London gangster stuff mixed with glossy ITV soap opera, and then after an hour it remembers that it's supposed to be a horror movie and they drag in the vampires for frankly not enough blood and gore. At least Danny Dyer's only in it briefly (and uncredited).

AnotherSchmuck wrote: Utter shite, how was this on the Main Screen and Amer was on the Disco screen is beyond me...
Probably because Amer had already been seen at Glasgow and many of the FF passholders would have already seen it - and some didn't like it. It's presumably coming out sometime - the BBFC have passed it.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Didn't think it was quite as bad as others do, but for me could definitely have used more comedy and would have liked to have seen more time devoted to the vampire aspect.

However, as a late night film, am sure there can be some excellent drinking games for this one :)
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

I thought this was quite entertaining, but the dodgy accent and the crap looking vampire teeth ruined it a bit. I also find it difficult to see how they spent $1 Million on it also. Not a patch on The Disappeared or Heartless from last year.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Colour timing was totally off on this as well... Looked like everyone had liver damage.

A five hundred year old vamp clan can't take down a bunch of east London thugs? Come on!!
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
ed.
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by ed. »

Terrible. Worst film of the festival for me. What a complete waste of time. Did not enjoy any of this. Selling this as Dusk Til’ Dawn meets Lost Boys is ridiculous. It was the same film that these guys have made before, except a few people get bitten in it. And not even well.
And you're right about the colour timing Puppy, it looked awful. I think if anyone was forced to watch this twice it might cause liver damage.
In the foyer afterwards we were discussing it and I suggested moving outside as the cast and crew were stood near us and wouldn’t want to hear any of it. On the walk out I started saying that the only saving grace was that it wasn’t as bad as Rise of the Footsoldier which is hands down the worst film I’ve ever seen, and starred a lot of the same people including the lead. Turning round when we had walked out of the doors of the empire I realised the lead was walking behind us the whole time. Typical.
0/10
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Utter garbage from beginning to end. Appeared to have been written by someone who had no knowledge of the vampire genre, hate films where vamps walk around in sunlight and no one thinks this at least deserves an explanation, and what was the thing with the dogs about?

Dozed off at the very end and woke up to see Danny Dyer's "oscar moment". Alarm bells went off as soon as Fairbrass said words to effect of "when you watch it, bear in mind it's cheap and we had a laugh". Less than a million? I think about £999,999.99 less.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

At some points in this movie it tried to go for emotional depth, this is when i laughed. It got worse and worse until the credits, talk about shabby writing.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

Just terrible.
Bad acting, a mess of a storyline, one of the worst lighting I have ever seen in a movie, forced slang, aweful vampires, stupid effects, one of the actors (I think) literally apologizing even before(!) the screening.
All that for 1 Million? Unbelievable.
Two points instead of one because some of the girls where hot.
2/10
AnotherSchmuck
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by AnotherSchmuck »

Always worries me when you have talent or crew qualifying the fact that you need to hang in there or "we had lots of fun making it", Eli Roth did something similar before the screening of "The Last Exorcism", just let the film speak for itself!

I felt bad for the Dead Cert actors on the stage as you knew they were selling a Turkey...
"Horror films don't create fear. They release it." – Wes Craven

Instagram - timothyrobinparsons
Twitter - @AnotherSchmuck
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Very much the weakest film of the night. Had a good story but was played out to boredom. The lead vampire was not the most charamastic. In this case guns and vampires don't mix
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"