Isle of Dogs

The movies of 2010 still live
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Isle of Dogs

Post by jonbly »

Couldn't really connect with this one... jonbly's inclined to think it was the hair. The twist was pretty good, though.

Sound mix was awful... overbearing music and obscure cockney accents are a lousy combination.

5/10
Last edited by jonbly on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Isle of Dogs

Post by DavieT »

Hmmmmm cod east end " villain" types ..... "fahhkin cuhhhhhnt" this n that .... Very loud soundtrack which made my eyeballs vibrate and a David Tennant lookielikee ...... Twist was ok
justin
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by justin »

liked the soundtrack thought the film was ok a bit more humour would of helped but not to bad
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

yeah it seemed a bit confused bits and pieces of mockney gangster, hints of exploitation, tarantino esque soundtrack which was very loud and seemed to be constant and prevelant (to mask some of acting?).
It wasnt until the second half it started to take itself less seriously and there was some good laughs and gore (wine bottle)
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Another one i walked out of after standing as much of it as i could,great soundtrack wasted on a bad movie,there is only so much of this i could take it was all over the place,nad it really didnt know what it wanted to be.
still better luck next time for the director and writers future projects,but this was a dog of a film .
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Pukka
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pukka »

Missed this one, sorry but after churning something out like 'Killjoy 2', do you deserve any viewers?
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Seemed a bit out of place at FF, cos it hardly had any horror connetations, was more like an episode of Bergerac with a few messy killings thrown in.

As a 4 part mini series on Tuesday nights on BBC3 or the Dave channel, this might have been just about passable, but as a film it was pretty terrible.
Heiko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Heiko »

Actually really liked that one... especially the music
which yes, was too loud drowning out the dialogue... but I'm not yet going to blame that on the movie but on the print ;-)

And what could be more fun than black coat, black fedora, white face mask? Well, okay, a woman with a shotgun trumps it I guess ;-)
splittter
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by splittter »

Really didn't like this one. I'll admit that I really hate cockney gangster movies (but that's because the vast majority are awful) so I'm not an unbiased critic & there was a point in the middle where I started to have a bit of grudging respect for it, mainly because it was taking itself so seriously despite having a ridiculously simple & obvious plot ... but it soon shook off even that highly qualified love & by the end I was just praying for everyone to die ASAP. Agree that the soundtrack was fun, though.
PhilBez
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by PhilBez »

I have to speak up for the jodhpurs. I thought they were outstanding.
AnotherSchmuck
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by AnotherSchmuck »

The mix on this was awful, dialogue when you could hear it was just as bad, Direction overly confused as to what the film was and wanted to be and for all the images of London and blighty in the credits where was it in the film! And how many different shots of a sodding land rover driving around the countyside did we get in that intro!!!

It felt like a film student throwing up a text book over the screen.

Shouldn't of been shown full stop.
"Horror films don't create fear. They release it." – Wes Craven

Instagram - timothyrobinparsons
Twitter - @AnotherSchmuck
narcan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by narcan »

I was pleasantly surprised by Isle Of Dogs and enjoyed it much more than I expected to based on the little I had read about it in advance however it was almost as heavily indebted to giallo motifs as was Amer - I thought that using the killer's costume from Blood And Black Lace was cool but the stained glass Bird With The Crystal Plumage in the gangster's bathroom seemed just a bit too self-conscious and I found this distracted a little from what was otherwise a very cleverly plotted and stylish movie.
Read Narcan's horror, sci-fi, exploitation & dirty movie reviews at the Grindhouse Cinema Database:
http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/User:Narcan
http://www.facebook.com/grindhousedatabase
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

The volume on this one, jeeez. The slang? Unbearable. The acting, well, not the worst but not really good either. The story? Forget it. "The Killer"? Going from badass to whimpy and back within 10 seconds. The sound mix? Horrible.
Tried to be Tarantino meets Guy Ritchie, failed on both counts.

4/10
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I liked the story and music. Agree with the other comments. At times the music just drowned the dialogue. Making it hard to listen to the characters.

I didn't see the twist coming. Thought the disguise he was wearing was very much like a graphic novel character
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Consumer
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Consumer »

Well i do not know where to start,Everything about this was Wrong,awfull acting loud music to cover it up.We where traveling around in a Land Rover all through the intro,Nothing was taken to detail ,it was like,they got there and started shooting anything without anytime to check the wrongs(too many to list) the cast was diar and miles apart,my thinking is this so called movie cost less than 50k to make if more they where robbed,I read above it would go straight to dvd who the hell would put good money into this its beyond my thinking,And why was it here its Frightfest i cannot think that the organisers ever seen a clip of this movie till the day it appeared on the Screen...Thanks for a waste of 90mins