Red Hill

The movies of 2010 still live
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Red Hill

Post by jonbly »

Good stuff. The twist was obvious, but in this rare case it just didn't matter - jonbly could just cheer for the real hero of the piece...

The panther felt out of place, though. (And no, the CGI didn't work.)

8/10
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Red Hill

Post by lisy-babe »

If I'd realised this was a completely straightforward western I'd have gone home after F. And it really was pure western complete with racist cowboys versus someone from the country's native race.

It wasn't a bad film, it was just a matter of personal taste. Westerns are - by far - my least favourite genre.
@lisybabe on Twitter

FYI "Lisy" is pronounced "Lee-see". It's derived from my real name, Lisa.
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Red Hill

Post by xBIGJOEx »

yeah the panther was a big wtf totally uneccesary. visually it was gorgeous and i really enjoyed it .
like F i thought the tension was built well, but i kept getting sick of Shane getting knocked out and then waking up somewhere
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
Heiko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Heiko »

Not going to call that movie bad... but, well, ain't going to call it good either...

First surprise for me: it's set in Australia! Not that OZ isn't the new Wild West but it felt to me more like this should have been set in a dusty little hicktown post in Texas...

okay, onwards pilgrim...

the hero is the flavor of the month TV 'star'... and what a loser he is! Sorry, to be honest I couldn't care less if he made it or not, simply because his bumbling wasn't enough to put him on a Clouseau fun level, it just made him look like a huge dumbo!

The twist... that wasn't there!

Sorry, it wasn't really bad, just boring... :-(
halloweengirl
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by halloweengirl »

This was an okay film, barring the CGI panther (WTF?) but I felt this was more of a revenge film (seems to have been the theme this year) than a horror.
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

My favourite film of the whole festival, although Monsters and I Spit On Your Grave, would give it a close run. Three awesome movies.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It's not great, and perhaps a bit too long, but it's beautifully shot and quirkily interesting. I liked the contrast between Young Sensitive Caring Aussie Man and Older Weatherbeaten Tough Guy Aussie Bloke, and I spent time wondering whether there was a supernatural element as the Conway character mutated into this mythical Aborigine type.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Great fun and really entertaining - highly recommended!
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

For me this was the first great film of the festival - and more specifcally one that's not an out-and-out horror film (along with my other favourites Red, White & Blue and Monsters). Maybe this reflects on the current state of the horror film industry - too many unoriginal films and too few like The Loved Ones.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Bearded Avenger wrote:For me this was the first great film of the festival - and more specifcally one that's not an out-and-out horror film (along with my other favourites Red, White & Blue and Monsters). Maybe this reflects on the current state of the horror film industry - too many unoriginal films and too few like The Loved Ones.
Hear, hear. Getting a bit sick of the moaning in this forum about too few horror films. Firstly horror is the best genre because it is so broad it cam encompass everything from quiet mood pieces to balls to the wall gorefests. And secondly because some of the films getting the most flack are going to feature in the top 10 of the year's list. Blimey some people are hard to please.

There were definitely fewer out and out genre crowd pleasers this year. But I think this reflects more on the state of the art right now. Times are tough, and the grimness of many movies may be a reflection of that.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

Average movie. Too much western too little suspense. Some serious and very obvious editing issues/goofs (e.g. the burning haystack that got from smoldering to being a blaze to smoldering in 3 cuts) and some shoddy acting by the support cast.
Good lead actor(s), obvious plot but well executed, some very strong images (e.g. the police cars on the hill). Final death reminded me of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

One thing: what the freaking fuck was that CGI Panther doing in there?

6/10
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

A nicely paced film. Great setting as well. Very much western style. The aborgine character almost had a supernatual feel to him. Him being silent through most of the film just built the tension throughout.

Was quite impressed with Ryan Kwanten. Thought he was really good in this film. Was good to see him with his clothes on!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A solid take on the Western, with a modern Australian setting. I liked the morality underpinning the film, but it was a little unrealistic at times (e.g. caracters failing to make the most of their opportunities to shoot the escaped convict) and there was some very corny dialogue. Nevertheless, reasonably enjoyed this one. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Surprised to a see a film like this at the festival, but than it makes me appreciate how diverse it can be. The film itself i thought was rather good, plot was easy going and was kind of obvious what was going to happen.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

Whilst being on the very boundaries of 'horror' this was a very well made film. Decent acting, interesing story and very watchable. I thought it was way better than the program blurb made it sound.