The Tortured

The movies of 2010 still live
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: The Tortured

Post by brad1000 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:35 pm

sounds like you guys need to watch fench/canadian film "7 days" instead...now thats a movie


http://www.24framespersecond.net/index. ... er-7-days/
the house shot her !!!

User avatar
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:50 am
Location: London

Re: The Tortured

Post by The Soapmaker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:02 pm

AnotherSchmuck wrote:Award for worst Child actor of the weekend...Definitely.
I'd have to say the little girl in The Red Balloon pipped him to the post.

User avatar
AnotherSchmuck
Walking Dead
Walking Dead
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Tortured

Post by AnotherSchmuck » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:14 pm

The Soapmaker wrote:
AnotherSchmuck wrote:Award for worst Child actor of the weekend...Definitely.
I'd have to say the little girl in The Red Balloon pipped him to the post.
But at least she didn't really say anything not that the one in Tortured did but I got a feeling they used him off shot with dialogue more because he was that bad.
Horror films don`t create fear. They release it...

streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: A hell of my own making
Contact:

Re: The Tortured

Post by streetrw » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 pm

Not the last of the weekend's difficult moral quandaries, but interesting. It does have the somewhat annoying Twisted Pictures gimmick of condensing the whole movie into a 90-second blipvert in the final reel (but then how else could we come out of a Saw movie thinking that it made sense?) but overall it was okay. Nothing better than that though.

Yes, it's unlikely that there just happened to be another bloke in the van that the husband didn't see, and the whole twist rests on the notion that the two criminals look so alike that the parents never realise that he isn't the object of their obsessive vengeance.


@brad1000 - 7 Days is on my rentals queue, and I look forward to it. I was hoping to get it before seeing The Tortured, but alas, 'twas not to be.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!

User avatar
narcan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:42 am
Location: Brighton
Contact:

Re: The Tortured

Post by narcan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:15 pm

Terrible. The only film I saw all weekend that I couldn't find anything positive in.

The laughable dialogue made it a serious contender as this years Giallo/Mirrors. Someone I spoke to afterward quite astutely said that it appeared as if the filmmakers had shot 2 alternate endings but then included them both in the movie!
Read Narcan's horror, sci-fi, exploitation & dirty movie reviews at the Grindhouse Cinema Database:
http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/User:Narcan
http://www.facebook.com/grindhousedatabase

Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:04 am

Re: The Tortured

Post by Reanimator » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:28 pm

Not bad - watchable - but yes agree see 7 Days instead which is much better

brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: The Tortured

Post by brad1000 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:46 am

i know its a crowded genre but i really thought "7 days" brought something new to the table.a really emotionally resonant film experience with some really shocking scenes.......involving crediting the audience with intelligence....how rare is that these days. great effects too....but really its the acting that stood out for me.

peace
the house shot her !!!

nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: The Tortured

Post by nagelfar » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Have to admit I didn't really get the ending. I understood they got the wrong guy but why he killed himself and why they didn't recognize, they got the wrong guy (his face/head wasn't THAT damaged after the accident) I can't understand.
Including a dream sequence to show even more torture made me go: Whatever!, and some of the dialogue was just too bad to repeat.
At least it moved fast enough.
6/10

world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: near Milton Keynes

Re: The Tortured

Post by world_of_skin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:43 pm

Also, not sure if I missed something here (god I hope I did...), but I thought the husband didn’t work? The day the kid got snatched, he said bye to his wife as she left to go to work, with her making a comment that SOMEBODY had to make a living for them all, whilst he stayed home and lounged round in the garden with their son? But then later he steals stuff from the ambulance and a colleague tells him that it’s too soon after his son's death for him to come back to work? Sorry, what!?

If only the wounds had been as gaping as the plot holes...
"But what if one of you is the monster?"
"Monster? We're *British*, you know..."

User avatar
AnotherSchmuck
Walking Dead
Walking Dead
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Tortured

Post by AnotherSchmuck » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:57 pm

world_of_skin wrote:Also, not sure if I missed something here (god I hope I did...), but I thought the husband didn’t work? The day the kid got snatched, he said bye to his wife as she left to go to work, with her making a comment that SOMEBODY had to make a living for them all, whilst he stayed home and lounged round in the garden with their son? But then later he steals stuff from the ambulance and a colleague tells him that it’s too soon after his son's death for him to come back to work? Sorry, what!?

If only the wounds had been as gaping as the plot holes...
You didn't miss anything it was just pure arse...he is meant to be a Doctor as in the original but this was cut together so badly (and scripted) that things like that were kind of looked over until they were deemed appropriate to the forward motion of the narrative and also second to him being Doctor how old is he..... 16?

I just could not believe he was a Dad and Doctor to be honest.
Horror films don`t create fear. They release it...

lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 906
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:26 pm
Location: Here!

Re: The Tortured

Post by lupogirl » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:15 pm

For me, the weakest one of the day. Badly written script. I liked the story but again shame the way it played out. Jesse Metcalfe really isn't a very good actor. Did not feel the anger from him. Also a shame about the rushed ending. Would of been a better film if had two strong leads.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"

brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: The Tortured

Post by brad1000 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:43 am

AnotherSchmuck wrote:
world_of_skin wrote:Also, not sure if I missed something here (god I hope I did...), but I thought the husband didn’t work? The day the kid got snatched, he said bye to his wife as she left to go to work, with her making a comment that SOMEBODY had to make a living for them all, whilst he stayed home and lounged round in the garden with their son? But then later he steals stuff from the ambulance and a colleague tells him that it’s too soon after his son's death for him to come back to work? Sorry, what!?

If only the wounds had been as gaping as the plot holes...
You didn't miss anything it was just pure arse...he is meant to be a Doctor as in the original but this was cut together so badly (and scripted) that things like that were kind of looked over until they were deemed appropriate to the forward motion of the narrative and also second to him being Doctor how old is he..... 16?

I just could not believe he was a Dad and Doctor to be honest.
what original??
the house shot her !!!

grzegorz
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:51 pm
Location: emerald island/poland
Contact:

Re: The Tortured

Post by grzegorz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:27 pm

hmm... atrocious? deplorable? complete and utter crap? if one saw one movie from Twisted Pictures he saw them all. The same stylistic approach to movie making as the Saw franchise. the same colour palette, the same style of visual effects, the same crappy twists. done by the numbers, numbers from "Complete Idiot's Guide To Mediocre Screenwriting" - how to show sorrow? how to show remorse? how to show doubt? OMG this film was so bad, that i could go on and on, but kicking movie along the lines of Saw or similar is low in itself. so, sufficient to say - worst movie of FF 2010. but the edit from the torture scene to the sex one - hilarious.

and i thought that Isle Of Dogs or Primal had bad lines in them. this was like, imagining the worst pain ever experienced, but it was worse ;]

Alex J
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:30 pm
Location: The Back Of The Beyond

Re: The Tortured

Post by Alex J » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Some may label this as torture prawn, but it could have been so much more graphic. There were some interesting dilemmas presented throughout the movie and I liked how one of the couple kept getting cold feet about what they were doing at different points, while the other wanted to keep going. The ongoing changes in this dynamic between the characters reminded me of how gangs egg each other on, even though some are having second thoughts. Also liked the twist at the end, even if it was a little far-fetched (something that can be levelled at much of the film). 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:54 pm
Location: Lake District

Re: The Tortured

Post by scrobble » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:55 pm

world_of_skin wrote:Yep, hence my Horseman comparison... He had to pursue too.

Also, in The Tortured, when the parents were torturing him to try and get him to say the kid's name, and he finally did, which they thought proved guilt (or, rather, rememberance) - surely that should have been the catalyst for a harsher, more violent, adrenaline-fuelled reaction? Instead the woman was just smug about it to her husband!
I thought they only got him to say the kid's name in the wife's dream rather than the 'real life' torture sequences...but maybe I'm mistaken.

Horrible film, but not for the right reasons.
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?

Post Reply