Last Exorcism

The movies of 2010 still live
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Last Exorcism

Post by lisy-babe »

So I'm the only one that liked the 'open to interpretation' ending?

I didn't expect to, but I actually really enjoyed this. After a couple of minutes I even forgot that Patrick Fabian was Veronica Mars's criminology professor (which is usually all I can think when I see him on TV).
@lisybabe on Twitter

FYI "Lisy" is pronounced "Lee-see". It's derived from my real name, Lisa.
Scrof the Return
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Scrof the Return »

Very poor choice for a closing movie. Really disappointing.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Rather enjoyed this one. Did have some scares. Not really sure if I like the way the film ended
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

Not a bad film . But glad Eli Roth explanied it better :shock:

Still whats with the s.s. mentality of the security guards ! Move along , push , shove :x
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I did enjoy this, buut would have preferred to go straight with 'she is definately possessed' and get some real scary sh1t going.

What was up with the ending why didn't people like it? Was there no demon in the flames at the end or was that my imagination running wild?
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

***Spoilers***

I thought there was a demon in the flames, but maybe I imagined it as well....!

One of the best of the fest for me, with some unnerving and jumpy moments and a well-sustained mystery of whether Nell was really possessed, acting or had a mental illness. I thought the ending will divide audiences, but personally I quite liked it. 8.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Saw it this afternoon and (despite Cineworld's ever-reliable inability to understand the term "out of focus") I quite liked it. But I think I agree that the end sequence doesn't quite seem to fit. I guess they thought they needed a final payoff of some kind. And there are times where there are clearly two cameras going - they're editing between them but the conversation still flows over the cuts - so who was running the second camera?
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

SPOILER

When he throws the thing into the fire, there is a demon seen in the flames ablam... That's why cotton clutches his cross and finally finds his faith which he's bee questioning throughout the film with his dubious and sceptical methods.

Etc etc.... It was just so rushed and it just fell flat for me
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
deadboxoffice
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by deadboxoffice »

This film just didn't do it for me at all.
I was pleasantly surprised by the humour throughout the first part of the film - the Reverend was a funny, likeable character & I thought it was an interesting angle to take. It just didn't convince as a documentary in the slightest, the performances weren't strong enough to make me believe that what I was watching was "real"... To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised that with the success of Paranormal Activity, someone decided to adapt the script and shoot it in the "mockumentary" style simply because of PA's box office takings.

*Potential Spoilers*
When the sh*t hits the fan and Nell starts going bonkers, the reactions of the characters weren't nearly as strong as they should have been - they all seem to take it in their stride? Could have done with a bit more hysteria and fear pervading the characters.
I liked the ambiguity of the possession, was she really possessed or was she suffering from a mental disorder etc. - but that interesting plot route soon took an almighty smack upside the head in a rather silly, extremely rushed, totally unexpected ending. I appreciate they were trying to do something different - but for me, it just didn't sit well with the rest of the film.

So, in summation: not that scary, unconvincing performances, not as clever as it would like to think it is & a pretty bizzare ending which came off rather flat. Wouldn't rush to see it again.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeadBoxOffice <------- my Horror Movie Reviews
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

lisy-babe wrote:So I'm the only one that liked the 'open to interpretation' ending?
No, you're not. I didn't have a problem with the ending at all. Yes, it came out of the blue somewhat, but if they'd hinted at it beforehand it would have spoiled the surprise.
c4uk
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by c4uk »

i also liked the ending and enjoyed the whole film
i liked the fact that the end just comes out of now where and hits you
XxsimmiexX
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by XxsimmiexX »

Personally, i had hoped for alot more out of this film, was a good watch, i think the fact that eli roth was in attendance was greater than the actual film..(he was sat right behind me)..was expecting a few more chills, but overall not bad 6/10
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Now on Studio Canal.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey