Last Exorcism

The movies of 2010 still live
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Last Exorcism

Post by djwoody »

Expected the worst and was not disappointed. About as scary as a dose of piles! Quite funny in parts though.
Pukka
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Last Exorcism

Post by Pukka »

djwoody wrote:Expected the worst and was not disappointed.
Is that a 10/10 for you then djwoody? :D

I didn't like the way it ended. Actually I didn't like it at all.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

I like exorcism movies and I like "fake doc" movies - so I was always going to enjoy this... the ending worked fine for me, although a lot of people in America had a problem with it too when it opened last week.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

sherbetbizarre wrote:I like exorcism movies and I like "fake doc" movies - so I was always going to enjoy this... the ending worked fine for me, although a lot of people in America had a problem with it too when it opened last week.
Same here. Mind you, the ending after that (the one with the heavy handed security accompanying the signing for Eli Roth and stars) didn't work quite as well did it? I still don't get what their problem was with those various items you had to sign. They said one signature per celebrity. So what was the problem with them all signing different things? Eli Roth isn't going to mind signing the dvd sleeve to Hostel. But why would Ashley Bell want to put her name on something she doesn't appear in?
markR
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by markR »

First 30min, brilliant! Funny! Different! Second 57min, creepy! Final 3min, what!??? Ending ruined what would have been a fantastic film for me.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Got to agree with the others... really enjoyed the middle part of the movie, which was really gripping, and the preacher was a great character... but the end was really bad. jonbly actually saw the problem coming, because the 'documentary' form of the film means that the last one to die has to be the cameraman... Something Leslie Vernon just ducked by changing the nature of the film without blinking.

Leaving the ending open so that we don't know whether or not Nell was possessed seems to be the problem... it just left them with nowhere to go. They probably should have committed one way or the other.

The answer is, of course, that she predicted the deaths correctly...

7/10
halloweengirl
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by halloweengirl »

sherbetbizarre wrote:I like exorcism movies and I like "fake doc" movies - so I was always going to enjoy this... the ending worked fine for me, although a lot of people in America had a problem with it too when it opened last week.
Same here - I thought there was a little "To The Devil A Daughter" vibe going on at the end.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I liked most of it, and the fact that nothing overtly supernatural happened, but I did feel the use of music in the spooky bits was basically "cheating". I know they said in the Q&A that real documentaries use incidental music, which is true, but not in the way it was used here. It tends to be there throughout, or not at all.

Along with a few strategic camera shots, it suggested that they lacked confidence the "fake documentary" approach was going to produce a sufficiently scary movie. I smell studio interference...
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Good film but lost its way at the end - good choice to end the festival though and nice to see Eli Roth in person
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Yeah the ending for me ruined what was a fun film... They credited the audience with too much brain power as half the stuff Eli said in the q&a about the ending didn't make sense until he said it lol.

I felt it all happened too fast as well.... :(
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Started off liking this, but it was really disappointing at the end. Big let down.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Indeed, the ending just fizzled out. It reminded me of Race With the Devil, fitting as it seemed to have been dropped in from another film.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Last Exorcism

Post by daveroughcut »

Though i love this film i did whisper to my friend "the greater good" when I saw the folks in hoods.
ScreamingMimi
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ScreamingMimi »

Anyone remember this? Sort of reminded me of this a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBujJkV_tic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W2WyUnDxKs
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

This one started off quite well, the preacher character was funny and witty, the documentary style worked well, the set up was believable and fast enough (another slow burner would have killed me at this point). It got better with the preacher explaining his technical set up for the character and the various shots of the family. Got creepy after that with all the strange situations in the house, the killing of the cat, the voices coming out of the room, the fingerbreaking in the shed.
The end, while not feeling out of place felt rushed, 3 minutes of frantic chanting and camera shaking, a huge bonfire, screams, cut, over.
Two major problems on this:
*) If it was meant to be a documentary, why did it use "scare music" and "jump scares"? A question that was not well answered in the Q/A.
*) If they didn't want to explain if the character was posessed or not, how did she predict the end so exactly? I could live with a general: You are all going to die but the paintings didn't leave too much room for interpretation?
6.5/10