Detention

Pick at the bones of 2011's films
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Detention

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - This was really fun. Shame about the late night slot, as the sleepy audience probably missed half the references as they whipped by. Bear - it's the only way to time travel!
The DeadlySpawn
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Detention

Post by The DeadlySpawn »

I'm surprised that anyone other than 14 year old American girls can stomach this. I really couldn't stand it, but I think it's a "love it or hate it" kind of film.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Detention

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Yeah, I found this unwatchable :evil:
Uzumaki
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Uzumaki »

I wasn't sure if I liked it or not but the sheer weight of ideas just kept me pinned to the seat. I'd walked out of the Vile and Chillerama so I'd be fresh for the next mornings films but something about Detention just kept me there till the end.
Henry Krinkle
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Henry Krinkle »

I can't really express how angry this film made me and I just can't understand how this was even considered as suitable for a horror film festival, let alone shown. Great, it had loads of lazily obvious pop culture references but so what? Without getting bogged down in semantics, ask yourself was it really a horror film?

For anybody who did like it (and from the whooping and hollering inside the theatre every couple of minutes there seemed to be a fair few) may I point you in the direction of the scary/teen/epic movie francises, where you can find more of the same.

Shame on you Alan Jones, I know it's subjective but "favourite film of the festival"?, seriously? This is the best thing you've seen this entire weekend? Hang your head sir.....
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Continued the trend of all the late night films being absolutely dreadful this year.

It showed that the director was a music video maker, cos this film was basically an elongated music video - all flashing lights, bright colours, constantly noisy and in your face , and a throughly messy and incomprehensible storyline. I'm not sure how it would find an audience outside 14 year old girls, and even they are likely to get irritated by it.

Director said he put his whole bank account into this, BAD INVESTMENT!
Pumpkin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pumpkin »

I thought this was really great actually although scheduled at totally the wrong time.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

yes i thought this was brill. can totally see why people would hate it though.
Pumpkin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pumpkin »

agreed morrallex, i think it's a Marmite film :)
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Marmite indeed, and I like marmite.

The pacing was hyperspeed.

And I don't think the director is being entirely honest with it being made for 'the kids of today' when the references dating back to 1992 will actually be around the time 'the kids of today' were being born. Just admit, it was for geeks in the 30's who could and would want to get every single reference.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Too tired to keep up with it to be honest.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

I'm not sure why this movie was at the festival, it just didn't fit at all. While I found the premise at the start to be engaging and somewhat funny the third act was totally stupid and pointless.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

Too fast, to jumbled, too many references that where lost due to hyperspeed, too confusing, not scary at all, next time ditch stuff like that and give us our gory asian stuff back, please.
Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Bigcat »

I love Marmite and I loved Detention.

There you have it!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

True this definatley a marmite film.

After half hour we walked out. Really was not in the mood for this film. Wanted something more trashy
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"