V/H/S

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

V/H/S

Post by jonbly »

6/10 - Some of the sequences were really good - particularly the haunted house - others a little weaker. But jonbly's tolerance for this wobble-cam smash-cut crap has pretty much hit rock bottom... just stop it now, 'kay? Make movies which don't make your audiences motion-sick and/or sieze.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: V/H/S

Post by morralex »

This was one the best things I've seen in a long time. Fucking excellent. Such an ambitious project but they nailed hit. Super-clever and a very uncomfortable 2hrs.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

I recently purchased glasses to deal with eyesight problems leading to migraines.
They have been very useful at Frightfest, when it comes to subtitles and seeing who is on stage.
I did not wear them for this film.

I would have enjoyed most of these as short films, but as a relentless pastiche of sameness, it got rather tiring.
Mrs Brown did not like it so much that she went home and missed REC3 so that's another reason to be unhappy.

Highlights: the skype version of Rosemary's Baby (though who records their video conferences on VHS???), the wide eyed demon lady segment, and the Halloween segment.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
svengalidonut
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by svengalidonut »

Disturbing and creepy, but could be edited down somewhat?
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Too much going on, too wobbly, had huge expectations. Loved the ending though.

It's not Trick R Treat but its not Little Deaths
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Im really not a fan of "found footage" ... Spent the entire run ime of Blair Witch going where's the scary bit where's the scary bit then WTF !??! as the credits rolled - so didn't hold out many hopes for it. Found it OK but a bit uneven - 5/10
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by djwoody »

At last something half decent. Not as great as expected after all the reviews but nice. Last segment was excellent and by far the scariest (if a seasoned horror fan can still get scared!!!)
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

The last segment in the haunted house saved this for me, as the rest of it I found rather dull.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Loved the concept but it was just too wobbly for me. Enjoyed the first and last segments though.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Hard to score, as the segments were of varying quality / originality. My favourite was the college night (1st tape played by the gang), while I enjoyed several others (Grand Canyon trip, Halloween night and the backwoods slasher). Very trippy in places, pretty freaky at times, and yes, even occasionally scary. I was a bit disappointed in the wraparound story, while I thought the skype segment was not as effective as "The Collingswood Story". Overall, a good anthology though. 8.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Not normally a found footage fan, but I did really like it, maybe cos it was an anthology with short stories that didn't get boring, or maybe cos it was just very gripping and in your face, but it worked for me. The laptop story and the Paranormal Activity style story at the end were the best moments imo.
SilverGunnar Hansen
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by SilverGunnar Hansen »

Did anyone else spot that the haunted house was The House Of The Devil? Best segment by far, thought VHS was very uneven and too much of a slog, while much of the ambiguity just seemed lazy. Had chilling moments but there were no likeable characters - guys came out of it as total assholes, girls weren't much better - and it was a bit dry.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I felt all the stories had merit but all were overly long, including the wrap around.

The 'skype' one, as everyone I've talked too said, worked the best but could have been scarier I felt.

The effects in the 'Hauted House' were very good, but ultimately none of this was particularly tense and it was all too samey, having been done before and better.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Being someone who does not read up on any of the films before I see them. The first 10mins of this film, I was thinking Oh god shaky cam tastic, what is happening. Once that passed, I began to really enjoy this. Liked the different stories. Also liked found footage with twist and also on VHS! Being someone who still has VHS.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

morralex wrote:This was one the best things I've seen in a long time. Fucking excellent. Such an ambitious project but they nailed hit. Super-clever and a very uncomfortable 2hrs.
I loved this too.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup