Chained

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
Alex J
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:30 pm
Location: The Back Of The Beyond

Re: Chained

Post by Alex J » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:08 pm

** Spoilers **

Superb. A real masterclass let down only a little by the twist ending, which doesn't ruin the film, merely knock half a point off the score. I just felt there was little indication or clues that the killer was the boy's uncle (nor did it explain why Rabbit didn't appear to recognise him - or maybe he did or maybe there were reasons for that). The ending just seemed a little rushed and the twist artificial. However, everything up to that point was gripping, believable and magnificently disturbing. 9 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

anoy yin barsted
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Chained

Post by anoy yin barsted » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Alex J wrote:** Spoilers **

Superb. A real masterclass let down only a little by the twist ending, which doesn't ruin the film, merely knock half a point off the score. I just felt there was little indication or clues that the killer was the boy's uncle (nor did it explain why Rabbit didn't appear to recognise him - or maybe he did or maybe there were reasons for that). The ending just seemed a little rushed and the twist artificial. However, everything up to that point was gripping, believable and magnificently disturbing. 9 / 10
Ah, but if there were clear indications, would it be a twist? As it stands, I think that the ending is quite something: when you review the film in your head, it allows you to read the film differently- I'm thinking about the flashbacks in particular, and Bob's references to Rabbit's father.

Throughout the film, I just kept thinking how awful it would be for Rabbit's father, losing a son and wife, and when the twist became apparent, I found it so chilling. Remember how insistent he was on the wife getting a taxi, and her allowing the kid to see a horror film as 'dad isn't here'? Subtle touches.

I find what you say about Rabbit perhaps recognising the uncle interesting. However, I think that the brothers kept apart from each other. otherwise the mother wouls have recognised him surely?
Fred Krueger! He's inside me, and he wants to take me again!

AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:58 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Chained

Post by AdeBrown » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:08 pm

"Here's your long lost Uncle Bob. He is a serial killer."

:)
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest

anoy yin barsted
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Chained

Post by anoy yin barsted » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:24 pm

AdeBrown wrote:"Here's your long lost Uncle Bob. He is a serial killer."

:)
Christmas: ruined.
Fred Krueger! He's inside me, and he wants to take me again!

AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:58 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Chained

Post by AdeBrown » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:34 pm

anoy yin barsted wrote:
AdeBrown wrote:"Here's your long lost Uncle Bob. He is a serial killer."

:)
Christmas: ruined.
Halloween improved though. Swings and roundabouts.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest

streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: A hell of my own making
Contact:

Re: Chained

Post by streetrw » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:47 pm

Very unsettling; I'm really not sure what to make of it. I do think the twist ending doesn't entirely fit, though.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!

Post Reply