Discovery Screen

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
Blandhorror
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Discovery Screen

Post by Blandhorror »

Did ANYONE see any movies that were on in the discovery screen?
If so, were there any that stood out as being particularly good or bad?
Marko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Discovery Screen

Post by Marko »

Saw a couple

Elevator - Similar vibe to DEVIL, very similar in fact, although without the supernatural aspect to it. Decent enough if its on tv or netflix in future.

Guinea Pigs - Cool little film about people subjecting themselves to experiments for cash. All get injected with a serum and chaos ensues. Well made and enjoyable when watching - kinda has an anti climax ending which i think had people leaving going 'well that wasnt very good' but actually 89 mins of it IS good, its just the last 1 min that isnt great. Worth watching for sure.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Buddy G's film A Night of Nightmares was a little gem. Shame the screen was only a third full when I saw it as it was up against the behemoth that is V/H/S

I also liked Before Dawn, nicely played even if ultimately it is another zombie movie.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Another thumbs up for A Night of Nightmares... worth checking out if you liked Ti West's recent stuff, ie, something which takes time to build and not front-loaded with fake scares. Good stuff.
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

I saw Kill Zombie which was an okay Dutch zom-com, I would not seek it out but if you come across it on tv then give it a whirl. I also walked out of The Inside horrible found footage movie.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

I saw:

We Are The Night - absolutely awesome vampire action thriller, with 4 sexy female vamps on the rampage. Was strange to see such a huge budget film in the Discovery screen, it was probably because it came out in 2010 in Germany, but I doubt many Frightfesters had seen it, so this really should have been in the main screen, it would have gone down a storm in there. I feel sorry for people in the main screen who missed this and had to watch The Thompsons instead!

The Inside - another one that I think should have been in the main screen; much of young Irish girls have a birthday party in an old warehouse and are ambushed by a bunch of thugs who graphically abuse them, they end of being chased down to some underground tunnels, where things get darker...It was a found footage film for most part, but for once this worked and the shakey camera portrayed the girls terror quite well, the film covered the same sort of subject as Hidden In The Woods, but did it massively better, and imo should have been on the main instead of HITW. Maybe it drags on a bit and should finish when the girl drops the camera, rather than including a lengthy section at the end after the camera is picked up by some guy, but overall I give this film the thumbs up.

Wish I'd seen Remnants instead of Tulpa, gonna try and track down Guinea Pigs soon as well.
Last edited by Wolfshade on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I saw 3 films there, I'm wondering whether to review them here or on separate threads, seeing as a few Discovery screenings already do have threads...hmmm.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Remnants is really, really grim. Unfortunately, I was also left unconvinced by the way things pan out over the month.
Blandhorror
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Blandhorror »

If anyone is happy/willing for me to do so, I would like to post any thoughts/reviews you have on some of these films on my website. I already have reviews of all the main screen films covered, but it'd be cool to get some stuff on the films that showed on the discovery screen. Let me know!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Sawney: Flesh oh Man? No reviews up for that yet.
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

Wolfshade wrote:I saw:

We Are The Night - absolutely awesome vampire action thriller, with 4 sexy female vamps on the rampage. Was strange to see such a huge budget film in the Discovery screen, it was probably because it came out in 2010 in Germany, but I doubt many Frightfesters had seen it, so this really should have been in the main screen, it would have gone down a storm in there. I feel sorry for people in the main screen who missed this and had to watch The Thompsons instead!

Totally forgot about We Are the Night, I saw that too and I agree with what you said, however I totally disagree with your feelings on The Inside but that is what makes FF great.
Wiltaim
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Wiltaim »

I saw :
We Are The Night, which was a well made usually vampire story
Kill Zombie , a fun but very silly Dutch zombie flick along the lines of Infestation
The Arrival of Wang ,a film which unlike any other, I really liked it . Part 'police drama' , part sc-fi
Guinea Pigs , an nice British film that spends the time setting -up characters but sadly doesn't finish well
Twitter: @Rowdoc
Letterboxd: Rowdoc
Entropia Universe : Rowdoc Rowdoc Donner
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Dom »

May I Kill U? was a very entertaining satire and could easily have made it into the main screen. I'm not a big Kevin Bishop fan but was pleasantly surprised at how good he was in this.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Before Dawn was really good, played more like a domestic drama with zombies though but still a great little film.

Night Of Nightmares I liked but didn't feel the love for it that others did. Thought the lead actress was superb.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Guinea Pigs Average film, effort put into characters over anything else substantial with the plot. I wish someone had been their to ask if the lack of any musical score was delibrate.

Kill Zombie Wacky and charming enough to bring something else to an over-saturated zombie/zom com genre, I'll probably will buy this too.

Nightmare Factory After seeing Eurocrime it seemed odd to have another documentary the same day, but what isn't to love about Nicotero and all the work that KNB Efx Group have done over the decades?

The Victim See thread.