sleepy queue

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: sleepy queue

Post by FranksWildYears »

Bearded Avenger wrote:Been to the sleepy queue three times. Turned up at 6:00am the first time and since then around 8:00am. Really cannot fathom why anyone would want to stay there from Friday - it really just means that everyone else feels the need to start turning up earlier.
Me neither - I couldn't get there until 10am last year, still got a pass no problem and they were counting the people left waiting and keeping them back to make sure everybody who turned up got one, and whilst I had a long wait from being at the back I wouldn't say anybody should feel they have to turn up at silly o'clock unless they have more reasons to than just getting a pass. If you queue, you'll get one (and I got a good seat in the middle of row D, too).

If you do want a particular seat it's probably better to get there in good time - I'm aiming for 7.30-8am this year. The fixation with aisle seats is lost on me though; who wants to be the poor twat that has to keep standing up/being climbed over so that everybody else can get to their seats? Tried it once, never again.
**suzy**
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by **suzy** »

A lot of tall people like the aisle seats so that they aren't constantly bent up. My best mate is over 6 foot and gets cramp in her legs so we do our best to make sure she has an aisle seat so that she can stretch her legs out when she needs to. She couldn't get an aisle last last year and kept having problems. One of my other friends that is going has to have an aisle seat because she has problems with cramps in her legs as well. So how about you don't call them twats.
Suzy
xx

twitter - @suzy_bear_
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I said 'poor twats', which is a fairly common throwaway expression here in the North (could just have easily been 'poor sods', 'poor c*nts' or whatever) but obviously doesn't fly that often in Kent. Now, how about you calm down? :roll:

And for the record, I've never noticed that many noticeably tall people in the Sleepy Queue.
**suzy**
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by **suzy** »

I didn't say there was lots of tall people who go to FrightFest, I know a lot of tall people (although a lot people are tall to me as I'm only 5ft 7in) and when they go to the cinema they like an aisle seat. I was using tall people as an example.

I get its a difference in sayings and no, it wouldn't fly down here, we only call someone a twat to insult them and I'm perfectly calm. Was my comment in capitals shouting at you? Was I calling you names? I gave you two examples of why people may want an aisle seat and then said not to call them twats, looks like you interpreted my comment in the wrong way like I did to yours.
Suzy
xx

twitter - @suzy_bear_
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Peace Dudes! :ugeek:

I've been going to Frightfest for 12 years, and been a part of the arse-end of the sleepy queue for the past 7 years. I needs me an aisle seat and I'll explain why...
*get comfy kids*
I'm just over 6ft 2, with very long legs, and I'm quite ... erm ... big-boned into the bargain as well. At a normal cinema showing, if I sit in a middle row seat at some theatres, I usually have cramp/pain in my legs by the end, due to cramming them into the available space, and not wanting to fidget about and disturb my neighbours. Neither do I want to sit in some kind of Y-Shaped, Katie Price, legs-akimbo pose! Now imagine this experience repeated about 25 times over 5 days!
Add to the fact that one of my knees seems to be aging quicker than the other (I was eating Nurofens like Smarties when I saw "Man of Steel" at the IMAX recently, to numb the ache!), and I think I have perfectly valid reasons to want an aisle seat. The ability to actually stretch my leg(s) during a long Italian Giallo is absolute bliss!

I really enjoy the fest best if I have an aisle seat within the first 6 rows, and that's just my personal preference. For the past few years, I've been rocking up at the sleepy queue at about 6-7 am on the Saturday morning and been having no problems getting the fussy seat that I want. However, last year convinced me to go a little earlier in the future, so I will be making my beardy appearance sometime at about 4-6 am this year.

So yes, I am a bit twat-ty, (just ask my mates and ex-girlfriends), but I think that my reasoning for turning up a little early is okay.
Personally I wouldn't spend the whole night, but I admire the great guys and girls that do, and it's a great tradition.

BTW, can we get someone to intercept the drunken clubbers this year? You know the ones... that ask you what you're queuing for, but are too pissed to understand!
**suzy**
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by **suzy** »

We have loads of fun when we stay overnight, come sit out with us. The only real problem i found last year was when i was busting for the loo and there was no where to go lol. I had to wait an hour for McDonald's to open again.

I know what you mean about the drunks though, they are coherent enough to know you are there and to ask why but can't understand your answer lol. We had one that trout we were going to sit there until August and it took us ages to explain that we were just there for the tickets.
Suzy
xx

twitter - @suzy_bear_
Jimmer
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Jimmer »

I'm hoping to get there around 3 - 4am. Looking forward to it!
**suzy**
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by **suzy** »

I'll be there at some time in the afternoon on Friday so give me a wave when you turn up :D
Suzy
xx

twitter - @suzy_bear_
zur-an-arrh
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by zur-an-arrh »

Well this is all shaping up to rather jolly!

r.e. the drunken clubbers, can't we get a bit creative?

We could all say that we are gathering to protest something or other. 'Occupy Empire'; in protest against bad cinema, or audiences who have their phones out?!
**suzy**
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by **suzy** »

That's a good idea, the no phones in cinema one. We'll have to make little signs to hold up lol
Suzy
xx

twitter - @suzy_bear_
zur-an-arrh
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by zur-an-arrh »

We could actually make a difference, Suzy.
**suzy**
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by **suzy** »

I totally believe we could make a difference, we need to spread the word people! *stands on a wooden box* hear me people, turn your mobiles off in the cinema!!!
Suzy
xx

twitter - @suzy_bear_
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

What time in the Saturday morning does the queue move around to Leicester Square itself?

I'll be in the Prince Charles Cinema on the Friday night as they've got a SciFi all-nighter going on - lasting until about 10:00am Saturday morning I think - but I think I'm going to have to duck out of there early (about 8ish i guess) to come and start queuing up. Does the queue move from one place to another at a particular time in the morning?

Also, is 8:00 a sensible time to turn up? Not fussed about an aisle so I figured that sitting in the PCC all night is preferable to sitting in the cold, but I don't want to miss some of the later films in this marathon (They Live and Predator being the last two) so what time does the queue start to get really packed? Trying to find the optimal balance between joining the queue at a decent time, but not missing too many films of the scifi marathon.
Twitter: @ArghZombies
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

The queue has moved by 8.

And as earlier posts have pointed out, everyone gets a ticket, even you turn up later.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

PCC lists as follows...

21:30 ALIEN - Directors Cut
23:46 THE THING
01:45 THE FLY
03:51 THEY LIVE
05:35 THE MIST
07:46 PREDATOR
END OF MARATHON APPROXIMATELY 08:35 29th June
Last edited by zappa fan on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey