sleepy queue

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: sleepy queue

Post by Kris »

Wicked! The Lion King! We Will Rock You!!!

Oh the joys of the shouty man of Leics Sq
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
zur-an-arrh
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by zur-an-arrh »

You there now Kris?!

Where does this fabled queue begin? Not outside the Empire, surely?

I'm coming up from Wales tomorrow, prob going to be in town about eight- but may take in a film before the hardcore queueing....
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

4am?

According to twitter people started the queue at 4am?

That is 30 hours of waiting.

4am?
pauluspink
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by pauluspink »

4am?!!!

Now that's silly, there's no need for arriving that early and would only cause a panic to everyone else.

I remember the early years of strolling into Leicester Square in the morning and only seeing a a dozen people in the queue. How things have changed!
I do Special Make-Up Effects & Prosthetics (SFX): Graphic Delusions: Facebook Page
Lou_Roll
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Lou_Roll »

I have no intention of queuing until about 9.30am in the morning tomorrow (Sat) but as I am out drinking with friends tonight I may decide in a very drunkenly way to stumble by first to say hello. Heals, mini dress and obscene amounts of alcohol should make that pretty interesting for anyone there....
MI5 messed with my salad.
Twitter: Lou_Roll
BigWillyStephenson
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by BigWillyStephenson »

Getting ready to make the journey into the city from Harrow.Got to stop en route for alcohol and munchies :).
Should be there between 830pm - 9pm,anybody there let me know what the queue looks like.

See ya soon boys and girls :D
elmo72
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by elmo72 »

Many thanks to those who arrived at the sleepy queue, said Hi to friends that were already in the queue & then took their own place at the back of the queue! Total disrespect was shown from those that turned up, many hours into the sleepy queue, & thought it acceptable to join their friends near the front of the queue, regardless that many people, now behind them, had been there several hours already! Also to those queue jumpers that managed to advance themselves from their original order during the ascent of the stairs in the Empire!! Its disappointing to know that your respect for fellow Frightfesters is non existent!!!!
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Naughty but....

A friend bought my ticket for me who was there from early this morning as I couldn't go in person. If they were ahead of you then that's one less decent seat available for you?

Personally I wouldn't do that (through fear of being shouted at more than anything) and wouldn't like it if I'd been there for hours. Should there be a ticket queue number given to you as you join then you get served in that order or is this just a bad one off?
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

I do enjoy the tradition and the guys & gals that spear-head the Sleepy Queue are awesome and dedicated, but for a number of reasons this will probably be the last sleepy queue for me.
I have entered Danny-Glover mode, as I think I'm getting too old for this lark.
(Got to admit I noticed some queue-jumping going on as well. Not cool...)
But really I can't commit to getting there earlier and earlier each year as time goes on, and still not get my personal 1st/2nd/3rd/etc choice of seats (*sniff*).
A few other people said this to me as well.
So it'll probably be online booking this time next year. End of an era.
*Trumpet plays Last Post Mournfully*

But hey! Got my pass and it's an awesome line-up in August! So it's all good! :D
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

jonbly's still of the opinion that the entire sleepy queue farce should be done away with.

Surprisingly, we're still not sold out - 50-odd tickets left as of this post.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

So up the allocation and there are tickets left, don't change it and there might not be.

Stuck between that rock and that hard place again.
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

elmo72 wrote:Many thanks to those who arrived at the sleepy queue, said Hi to friends that were already in the queue & then took their own place at the back of the queue! Total disrespect was shown from those that turned up, many hours into the sleepy queue, & thought it acceptable to join their friends near the front of the queue, regardless that many people, now behind them, had been there several hours already! Also to those queue jumpers that managed to advance themselves from their original order during the ascent of the stairs in the Empire!! Its disappointing to know that your respect for fellow Frightfesters is non existent!!!!
There's one guy who does this every year, he wonders up and down the queue until he sees someone he knows and jumps in. No one ever picks him up on it.

I'll admit I let a friend in with me but I already had their cash and they were trying to get there so I would have got their ticket anyway but was glad they managed to make it.
zur-an-arrh
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by zur-an-arrh »

Yes it is a bit naughty all this queue jumping business, and hardly in-keeping with the FF 'ethos' at all. I suppose that most people who are Sleepy Queueing are going to get at least two passes: I was there from about nine last night, and I got three (for my partner and daughter and me: I'm not having my girls roughing it!); but turning up and taking advantage is a bit much.

On a different tack, I was ever so nervous about joining the Sleepy Queue; bit shy and all that, etc, but I just wanted to give a sincere shout out to my sleepy queue neighbours: Paul, Gary, Jason, Gemma, Carolyn, Steven, my homeboy nottsey, and anyone else I spoke to, thanks for really lovely and interesting company!

And that nice man who wandered about giving everyone a shot of whisky: class act.

Suzie, you were really pleasant on the twitters, and I'm sorry I didn't say hello, but I don't know what you look like! But you are a smasher.

See you all in August.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

EvilAsh wrote:
elmo72 wrote:Many thanks to those who arrived at the sleepy queue, said Hi to friends that were already in the queue & then took their own place at the back of the queue! Total disrespect was shown from those that turned up, many hours into the sleepy queue, & thought it acceptable to join their friends near the front of the queue, regardless that many people, now behind them, had been there several hours already! Also to those queue jumpers that managed to advance themselves from their original order during the ascent of the stairs in the Empire!! Its disappointing to know that your respect for fellow Frightfesters is non existent!!!!
There's one guy who does this every year, he wonders up and down the queue until he sees someone he knows and jumps in. No one ever picks him up on it.
That wasn't me - I was there at 3.30 and I have the Boris Bike hire ticket to prove it! Though I did do a lot of wandering up and down, I kep going back to my approximate point in the queue. I think places might have got shuffled a bit when we moved over from the Odeon.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

If a bunch of people always sit together every year - and come from different parts of the UK - is it OK for them to join whoever is in the queue first, as this was pre-planned?

I would assume this is different than someone turning up and jumping in on a whim?