sleepy queue

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
mathewxentrix88
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: sleepy queue

Post by mathewxentrix88 »

I can't seriously believe that a group of like-minded people who queue for hours and hours for a once a year event actually LET people queue jump.Surely someone must have said something like"Fuck off mate-get to the back"?.There are enough of you there to offer support for God's sake.Or is it always someone else's responsibility?
zur-an-arrh
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by zur-an-arrh »

mathewxentrix88 wrote:I can't seriously believe that a group of like-minded people who queue for hours and hours for a once a year event actually LET people queue jump.Surely someone must have said something like"Fuck off mate-get to the back"?.There are enough of you there to offer support for God's sake.Or is it always someone else's responsibility?
'Tell me about it', mathewxentrix88! People are getting a bit carried away here. I came up from Wales, took hours, got into town about nine pm on the Fri, queued from then on in, and bought three passes.

Now, these three tickets were for myself and members of my family. I sleepy queued as, after last year's close call phone booking, we wanted to gaurantee we were sitting together. Not fussed with what row or particular seats, we'd just be happy to be there as a trio.

I personally think if one has queued for over half a day, one should be allowed to get three w/e passes. Nonsense to suggest otherwise. Are people seriously postulating that all three of us should have knocked off work early, caught the coach up, sat in Leicester Sq for 12 hours, while muggins here was willing to do it himself? Come on!

Lets do a Frankie and relax, man. I really enjoyed the Sleepy Queue. I don't doubt people pushed in, but you have to challenge that behaviour at the time; spilt milk now.

And remember, last year these boards were full of tales of woe about how people couldn't get tickets; lets be thankful that everyone who wants a w/e pass has one this year!
black_rainstorm
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by black_rainstorm »

zur-an-arrh wrote: On a different tack, I was ever so nervous about joining the Sleepy Queue; bit shy and all that, etc, but I just wanted to give a sincere shout out to my sleepy queue neighbours: Paul, Gary, Jason, Gemma, Carolyn, Steven, my homeboy nottsey, and anyone else I spoke to, thanks for really lovely and interesting company!
It's Stephen - not Steven, but don't worry! It was really nice to talk to you too, Ben.

Also, a shout out to Amy - glad we managed to stay awake through The Conjuring!
zur-an-arrh
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by zur-an-arrh »

[/quote]

It's Stephen - not Steven, but don't worry! It was really nice to talk to you too, Ben.

Also, a shout out to Amy - glad we managed to stay awake through The Conjuring![/quote]

Oops! Sorry Stephen!

Ps, I hope Amy is an Amy and not an Aimee now!

See you soon, bud. Don't listen to too much of that scary loud music!
black_rainstorm
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by black_rainstorm »

Haha, I actually checked with her that it wasn't an Aimee.

Yeah, heavy metal and rock over disco any day!
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

I've only just caught on to this thread, mainly because I was working Saturday so couldn't make the sleepy queue in the first place. But hey, as there's been a small group of us who've sat together since the very first Frightfest it's never been a problem as whenever I've not been able to attend in person I've simply given one of them the money a few days in advance and let them get my pass. Presumably according to one or two of the arguments posted on here then that means I have in effect often jumped the queue by several days, before anyone's even started queuing?!? Outstanding. Ok, sarcasm mode off, like many have already said I don't have a problem with people joining the queue if they're part of a group who are sitting together anyway as it makes no odds overall. The same amount of tickets would have been bought whether there was one person standing there or the whole group. I can certainly see how people further back in the queue could perceive this as queue jumping as they're unlikely to know who's sitting together and who's just taking a chance on getting nearer the front. But surely this is where a little bit of communication comes in? Even if it's only "Oi! Fuck off to the back of the line!". A response of "they're sitting with us" ought to give some hint as to who's genuine and who's not. To be honest I turned up about half an hour late a couple of years back and joined my group for a chat and to get my pass. If someone had told me to go to the back I wouldn't have honestly been that bothered. I wouldn't have gone to the back of the queue either as the people I wanted to speak with were right there in front of me. But if it was annoying others enough I'd quite happily have left the queue altogether and gone to a nearby pub or something to pass the time. Jason and co would have got my ticket for me anyway and joined me in the boozer afterwards. The end result would have been the same for all concerned whether I'd joined the queue or not, yes?

Here's an extreme solution that ought to work if people are really miffed about this. As there's no limit on how many tickets you can buy together why not insist only one member of any group is allowed to stand in the queue? (obviously with the necessary money and/or credit card to pay for it all). Problem solved. Now anyone that tries to jump into a space nearer the front is guaranteed to be a queue jumper and we can lynch them or something as they'll have no excuse. And there could be a cordoned off area opposite the Empire for the other group members who turned up to wait in, and everyone could be given megaphones so they could still communicate with those queuing allowing for the friendly camaraderie and banter Frightfest is renowned for to continue unabated (hello, I think the sarcasm mode just kicked back in again. Ok, forget the megaphones and just use mobile phones... Ian Rattray permitting of course).

I do get why some people are annoyed by all this but unless you're going to go with the suggestion above or else limit everyone in the sleepy queue to just the one ticket then the only other option I can see is to ask people why they're queue jumping, as soon as they're seen doing it, to find out if there's a genuine reason or not. If the reason doesn't wash then Rattray could be called on to sort them out with a chainsaw or suitable sharp implement.
zur-an-arrh
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by zur-an-arrh »

black_rainstorm wrote:

Yeah, heavy metal and rock over disco any day!
That's it.

I'm doing you a mix CD.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

The previously mentioned Mr Rattray here. I have enjoyed reading this and I have to say it's been one of the liveliest and interesting discussions on the forum for some time. Let put a lid on this now. It risks souring what was in the end a good event. Everyone got their tickets, OK maybe not it the exact location they wanted, but you have tickets for the best 5 days of the year for genre fans. I will keep an eye on this for next year. Enough, or I will be singling out the next whinger and administering some suitable punishment.
zur-an-arrh
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by zur-an-arrh »

We've been told!
ThatAmyAB
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ThatAmyAB »

black_rainstorm wrote:
zur-an-arrh wrote: On a different tack, I was ever so nervous about joining the Sleepy Queue; bit shy and all that, etc, but I just wanted to give a sincere shout out to my sleepy queue neighbours: Paul, Gary, Jason, Gemma, Carolyn, Steven, my homeboy nottsey, and anyone else I spoke to, thanks for really lovely and interesting company!

Also, a shout out to Amy - glad we managed to stay awake through The Conjuring!

Hi! Haha, yep... i struggled through the first half though!

I really enjoyed my first sleepy queue, thanks to all the friendly and welcoming people I met. I'll be doing it again next year but i'll be sure to get a chair and a sleeping bag/blanket!