sleepy queue

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
theboxmanking
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: sleepy queue

Post by theboxmanking »

Hi all.

I may be one of the people who supposedly "jumped the queue". What everyone needs to understand is this:
There are 6 of us who always sit together who have been coming for 5 years and queuing for 4. 2 couldn't make the queue this year due to other commitments but 4 of us could. 2 of the 4 came from over 200 miles away and one traveled over 400 miles to start queuing from around 5am. 1 happened to get there at 2.15am and informed the queue behind them that 3 others were coming from 5am. Once we arrived we joined up and all was great as we don't always see each other too often so wanted to catch up whilst standing in line. Having us all in different parts of the queue just for the sake of it would have been stupid as we would have just asked the furthest one forward to buy all 6 tickets to ensure we were together, so they would have been purchased before people behind us anyway.

I didn't need to travel 200 miles to queue up as someone could have gotten the tickets for me. However, I always find speaking to people in the queue a real treat (and it was again) as I meet the nicest and coolest people on the planet at this festival, (even my wife queues up because the people are so cool and she doesn't even go to the festival!). I have to wonder who these petty folk are who judge without understanding the picture.

I hate queue jumpers too when it means I may not get the seat I want (or a seat at all) but due to the rules of no limits on purchases then what is the beef if good friends from different areas get together in the queue.

I understand that most on here will understand, which is cool, but to the others - get a grip guys, seriously.

I think this is a little petty given that the same amount of tickets would have been sold before you anyway.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

theboxmanking wrote:Hi all.

I may be one of the people who supposedly "jumped the queue". What everyone needs to understand is this:
There are 6 of us who always sit together who have been coming for 5 years and queuing for 4. 2 couldn't make the queue this year due to other commitments but 4 of us could. 2 of the 4 came from over 200 miles away and one traveled over 400 miles to start queuing from around 5am. 1 happened to get there at 2.15am and informed the queue behind them that 3 others were coming from 5am. Once we arrived we joined up and all was great as we don't always see each other too often so wanted to catch up whilst standing in line. Having us all in different parts of the queue just for the sake of it would have been stupid as we would have just asked the furthest one forward to buy all 6 tickets to ensure we were together, so they would have been purchased before people behind us anyway.

I didn't need to travel 200 miles to queue up as someone could have gotten the tickets for me. However, I always find speaking to people in the queue a real treat (and it was again) as I meet the nicest and coolest people on the planet at this festival, (even my wife queues up because the people are so cool and she doesn't even go to the festival!). I have to wonder who these petty folk are who judge without understanding the picture.

I hate queue jumpers too when it means I may not get the seat I want (or a seat at all) but due to the rules of no limits on purchases then what is the beef if good friends from different areas get together in the queue.

I understand that most on here will understand, which is cool, but to the others - get a grip guys, seriously.

I think this is a little petty given that the same amount of tickets would have been sold before you anyway.
Very nice post. And it should draw a line under any animosity.
I'll put my hand up and say that any little digs from me, probably come from sour grapes that I'm not in a position to get anybody to buy tickets on my behalf, and personal/medical issues mean that I am no longer able to queue for long amounts of time. So it kinda does burn you a little bit when perceived injustices take place, as incorrect or petty as they actually are.
I'm normally the most open-minded person out there, so I apologise if anything from any of my posts rubbed anybody up the wrong way, and hang my head in shame.
And I do understand the circumstances of most people and how devoted they are.

I've said it before, the Frightfest community is one of the friendliest and most open groups out there. And it's always great to speak to the lads and lasses at the sleepy queue, and nothing should ever spoil that.
Not even Pigeons having heart attacks mid-air...

BTW: Speaking of animosity, what did happen to the Gorezone crew?
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

zur-an-arrh wrote:my homeboy nottsey,
And that nice man who wandered about giving everyone a shot of whisky: class act.
Thanks dude. Look forward to catching up with you in Aug. And meeting the family. That nice man was Andy Nyman, been a tradition of his since 2010, plus handing out mags what a gent.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Pork Chop Express
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Pork Chop Express »

It took me a 1 hour drive, a 3 hour train journey and a 1 hour bus journey to get the sleepy queue at 5am. The 2 people in front of me increased to 7 by the time we got inside, the last three people arriving at 8:30am and 10:05am!!!! respectively.
Why someone thinks it's acceptable for me to queue for this amount of time and they can just walk up hours later and get tickets before me is beyond me.
On top of this I can barely walk today from the effort it took to stand for that long, I recently had surgery on my left knee from a torn ACL.
All these queue jumpers in fron of me were buying multiple tickets, not all of the seats were next to each other and some of them didn't even know each others names!
Queue jumpers can try and justify their behaviour as much as they want, the bottom line is they are selfish, rude and arrogant. Self policing clearly isn't working so maybe introducing a ticketing system is one way of stopping people cheating the queueing system.
DeanoG
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by DeanoG »

So I did the sleepy queue.

Bit of a wimp as I only turned up at around 8am, so myself and my girlfriend only queued for about three hours, respect due, to the hardcores who where there a hell of a lot earlier than that.

Had a little panic that I would not be able to get tickets, but got to the front and still there where a fair few left, result !

( I was way too far back to notice any queue jumping )

Missed the conjuring because I had to dash off for a math exam.

Ever so slightly excited for the festival now !
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Wulfster,

You seem to be an overly nice guy, apologising to a confessed queue jumper, who with a mix of snobbery and self-righteousness seems to think that a few caveats (distance traveled, number of festivals attended, etc) justify the sociopathic behaviour that is queue jumping.

I actually had little animosity to cutters, it is just one of those things and I'm never fussed where I sit. And as I entertained before, the sleepy queue is a different kind of queue.

The problem with this arrogant attitude to what is perceived to be an entitlement is not going to sit well with certain people.

If trend continues, the festival will get more popular, the queuing will definitely get bigger and start even earlier and this invites more people with less sleep getting more irked about the behaviour of others.

To end back on a positive, thanks again to everyone around me in the queue, despite my above rant, I'm happy about everything, the event that is the queue and the daddy in August.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Again, you were buying three tickets for people who weren't even there.

If they physically turned up to join you later, it would make zero difference to the people behind.

There's a difference between pre-planning this because you sit together as a group every year, and jumping in on the day.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Imagine a scenario where there is a limit of one ticket per person in the queue:

First person in the queue gets first choice of seat, second person gets second choice etc...

The word choice is bolded, because one of the main reasons for people queuing is to have their choice of seat in the cinema.

Now suppose Wulfster (or whoever) turns up at 5am and is fifth in the queue (yeah, right :lol: ) - so he's due fifth choice of seat. Then later on someone turns up who's friends with number three, and joins him. Wulfster's now got sixth choice. Then a couple dives in with number four, so now he's bumped back to eighth choice.

Take the principle of queueing for your choice of seat with the sleepy queue and no limit on the number of tickets, and he could go from fifth choice (at best) to way back in the twenties if the people in front are buying two, three, five, whatever tickets. If groups of friends are so desperate to sit together, they could do the decent thing and either ensure they either arrive together, or if some arrive late, join the back of the queue together.

Try the "I'm joining my friends so we can sit together" in the queues for most theme-park rides and you'll get pretty short shrift from those who've been waiting for lengthy amounts of time.

Not criticising anyone (I don't sleepy queue, never would), but I can understand why those who get cut in front of get annoyed about it.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

TheDukeAbides wrote:Wulfster,

You seem to be an overly nice guy, apologising to a confessed queue jumper, who with a mix of snobbery and self-righteousness seems to think that a few caveats (distance traveled, number of festivals attended, etc) justify the sociopathic behaviour that is queue jumping.

I actually had little animosity to cutters, it is just one of those things and I'm never fussed where I sit. And as I entertained before, the sleepy queue is a different kind of queue.

The problem with this arrogant attitude to what is perceived to be an entitlement is not going to sit well with certain people.

If trend continues, the festival will get more popular, the queuing will definitely get bigger and start even earlier and this invites more people with less sleep getting more irked about the behaviour of others.

To end back on a positive, thanks again to everyone around me in the queue, despite my above rant, I'm happy about everything, the event that is the queue and the daddy in August.
TheDukeAbides, sorry but you're the only one here who's coming out in a negative light - as theboxmanking expained above, he wasn't queue jumping, just sitting with the people he always sits with, and he could have easily just given the money to the first friend in the queue or simply all of his group could have not turned up apart from the friend they knew would turn up earliest and got him to buy tickets, and this would have had exactly the same effect as getting together in the queue. This is obviously a completely different scenario to someone just walking into the middle of the queue and standing with someone they vaguely know and who they have no plans to sit with during the fest, however you fail to appreciate this and call him a "confessed queue jumper".

You then reveal yourself to be a complete hypocrite, as you yourself were buying 3 additional tickets to your friends who weren't there - these friends have basically done exactly the same thing as theboxanking's group, and used you as a means to "jump the queue". If the boxmanking's group did the same thing as you and got one of their group to buy the tickets while the rest stayed at home, would the effect be any different? No, of course not - and plus they have at least made the effort to turn up on the day and support the fest in person.

This is a very petty argument that was started by elmo72's factually incorrect assertion that large numbers of people were disrespectfully jumping the queue, when in reality (most of) these occurences were groups of people from different geographical areas who sit together during fest, but who cannot perfectly synchronise their arrival times, and who have to get together in the queue, as theboxmanking explained with his perfect valid reasoning above. This is different to jumping the queue by using someone you vaguely know to get near the front, and friends being able to sit together is what makes FF more of a friendly and communal event, so I think this pointless debate should stop now.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

DJBenz wrote:Try the "I'm joining my friends so we can sit together" in the queues for most theme-park rides and you'll get pretty short shrift from those who've been waiting for lengthy amounts of time.

Not criticising anyone (I don't sleepy queue, never would), but I can understand why those who get cut in front of get annoyed about it.
But as there is no "one ticket per person", the guy in front of you could have a grand in his pocket as he's buying 5 for his mates who are still in bed.

So you're five down anyway.

Doesn't matter if they turn up or not to me...
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

These are very strange arguments.

It is ok to sit with mates because you always sit with them, but not ok to do this when you only vaguely know someone?

Let me use a pub analogy:

I'm behind a person in a bar, they might be buying one drink or a whole bunch of them - that is the order of things.

Maybe a friend taps him on the shoulder and asks him to get a drink - that is still the order of things.

Maybe this friend taps him on the shoulder and then asks me to move over because he is his mate and would have got their sooner but they've come from miles away, have been in the pub numerous times and has known this person at the bar for ages - that doesn't happen.

You see, when people are observed to be pushing in, it isn't a case of how friendly they are with someone, or the seating arrangement of ye olde days, they are simply pushing in.

It seems the other justification for this is that if they couldn't get into the queue then they would simply get them to get them a ticket, so those behind are still have the same number of seats to chose from regardless.

Are the people behind suppose to know that said person getting in front of them is only buying one ticket?

I'm trying to make this as light as possible, hell I could give the sob stories as to why I was getting the additional tickets, but I'm not here to score points and as this is the internet nor will I be able to prove this, just trying to have a philosophical debate about queuing in general.

Actually next year I might just get there 48 hours in advance and then buy every other seat in the middle block.

Should only set me back about £25,000.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

TheDukeAbides wrote:These are very strange arguments.

It is ok to sit with mates because you always sit with them, but not ok to do this when you only vaguely know someone?
NO!

The point was it doesn't matter if groups of friends get together in the queue in order to sit with each other, it is just the same as getting one person in the queue to get the tickets for the whole group (as you did), this is not queue jumping as the outcome would have been the same whether one person or the whole group were in the queue, as the same amount of tickets would have been purchased before the people behind.

This is a completely different scenario to one person seeing a long queue, then finding a vague FF acquaintance in the middle of the queue and going "uh I'm kinda mates with you, so I'm gonna jump in the queue here with you and get in front of all that lot", when he has no plans to sit with this acquaintance. In this case it would make a difference to the amount of tickets purchased before the people behind, and would indeed be queue jumping.

This is pointless and is going around in circles now, I think you should find something more interesting to do than having "a philosophical debate about queuing in general".
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

^ yeah, this is my take on it as well ^
elmo72
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by elmo72 »

Dear wolfshade - I am the one who started the 'petty argument' & can assure you that my information was not factually incorrect! I was there in the queue for long enough to witness what was going on around me & to hear conversations pertaining to the fact that some people recognised they were queue jumping but were told ' not to worry about it'! My original comment was actually two-fold about queue jumpers & last minute pushers. I know for a fact my place in the queue dropped considerably due to these two types - I was there, I know what i heard and witnessed! Please refrain from personally insulting me by saying I was factually incorrect! Regards
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

elmo72 wrote:Dear wolfshade - I am the one who started the 'petty argument' & can assure you that my information was not factually incorrect! I was there in the queue for long enough to witness what was going on around me & to hear conversations pertaining to the fact that some people recognised they were queue jumping but were told ' not to worry about it'! My original comment was actually two-fold about queue jumpers & last minute pushers. I know for a fact my place in the queue dropped considerably due to these two types - I was there, I know what i heard and witnessed! Please refrain from personally insulting me by saying I was factually incorrect! Regards
Sorry my comment certainly wasn't meant to insult you, it's just that your initial comment started this whole debate which has become very petty and rather heated and nasty in places. I go to the fest with a small group of friends who get together in the queue, and I am not showing "total disrespect" by getting together with them in the queue, as has been explained this situation is just the same as someone buying a few extra tickets for their friends who did not queue. I fully agree with you regarding people who just walk into the queue using the fact they know someone to get a better place, this is disrespectful.