Films for Frightfest August 2013

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: Films for Frightfest August 2013

Post by DJBenz »

The FF boys have just posted a world-premiere of the trailer for The Dead II, so maybe that's a strong one for this year?

http://www.frightfest.co.uk/film4frightfest1.html
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

The Dead II: India is pretty much a dead cert (may I take this moment in opportune word choice, for us to all remember back to the glory that was Dead Cert in 2010... and simultaneously pray to the gods of FrightFest we never see a blunderfuck like it again). I digress, I will stick my neck out to say The Dead II will be Opener or Closing film. Should be a cool event to base it around it, the Ford Brothers are nice guys & always make for an intriguing Q&A.

What do people think of the trailer?
And you. Are you Mitch who does the Frightfest videos by any chance? (I think I recognise the handle from Twitter) If so you made a very nice comment on our (HorrorTalk's) YouTube video of last year's festival, so thanks for that.
Hey there, DJBenz, yep this is Mitch here. Great to have the puzzle pieces click in place. Shoot me your twitter handle, mate; always great to find another person who loves the genre with enough fervor to put together their own videos, too :)
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Hey peeps, one more that popped into my radar today. Remember this is pure speculation, so I hope I'm not ruining anyone's "going in blind" hopes [if so, I apologise, but this is also probably the wrong forum topic to be in]

KISS OF THE DAMNED

I know, I know, let's face if we're not already bored by the vampire deluge, it's probably because we've simply given up caring. But after the sensational, could there be more silver linings? I think Kiss of the Damned may be it, looks pretty hardcore fun. And is it me or does it carry a *very* 80's vibe? Looks pretty swell.

Change a pace a bit: what are people thinking for the centrepiece retrospective this year? We've had Dario, Hooper & Landis, aswell as the pretty ace Fessenden and 'the state of american horror' in the past, what next? Any classic films having a birthday this year?

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

scoutthehorizon wrote:Hey there, DJBenz, yep this is Mitch here. Great to have the puzzle pieces click in place. Shoot me your twitter handle, mate; always great to find another person who loves the genre with enough fervor to put together their own videos, too :)
Big internet, small world. :mrgreen:

I don't have my own Twitter, I just randomly blather through the @HorrorTalk one (but it's not always me, depending on the time of day). Good to meet you (sort of), keep your eye out for me and the gang this year.
KISS OF THE DAMNED
An American podcast I listen to just reviewed this and gave it a resounding negative across the board so I hope not. I know you can't always go by others' opinions, but I can't actually remember a vampire film I really enjoyed (except the Blade movies, but they're just popcorn fun).
scoutthehorizon wrote:The Dead II: India...

Not massively impressed if I'm honest. :cry: It looks very much 'more of the same' with a different lead actor and country. I did enjoy the first one, I thought the zombies were really creepy and harked back to Fulci-era undead, but this trailer just seems a bit... I don't know. Bland?
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

@DJBenz

I too have heard that scathing review, then contra I've also read some nice ones- a trusty friend at BloodyDisgusting for one. So, who knows. [On a side track of not liking much vampiric output, do look out for Byzantium later this year, and try and source out Midnight Son on DVD, a very intimate & subtle take on the sub-genre, very Martin-esque]

I feel the same as you, not going to judge the film on the trailer of course, but there was *a lot* of footage in that trailer; and nothing quite got me salivating. Still, 1st was grand so we'll see.

As for our 1st Postcard From Cannes, a nod to our guesses was there: VHS2, HATCHET III, CABIN FEVER III, OUTPOST III (Hey, maybe the theme this year will be unnecessary sequels!?), but also hidden in there Ian threw out a title that was a whole new one to me: Zombie Fever a Russian offering that could be fun. More of a disco screener, such as last years [hilarious] Zombibi. Check it out below

Enjoy

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

scoutthehorizon wrote:I too have heard that scathing review, then contra I've also read some nice ones- a trusty friend at BloodyDisgusting for one. So, who knows. [On a side track of not liking much vampiric output, do look out for Byzantium later this year, and try and source out Midnight Son on DVD, a very intimate & subtle take on the sub-genre, very Martin-esque]
I think I'm gonna leave Byzantium too, from what I've read it's REALLY not my kind of film. I guess I just don't like vampire movies.
scoutthehorizon wrote:As for our 1st Postcard From Cannes, a nod to our guesses was there: VHS2, HATCHET III, CABIN FEVER III, OUTPOST III (Hey, maybe the theme this year will be unnecessary sequels!?), but also hidden in there Ian threw out a title that was a whole new one to me: Zombie Fever a Russian offering that could be fun. More of a disco screener, such as last years [hilarious] Zombibi.
Sequelmania! It wouldn't surprise me if there's some sort of deal going on with whoever is releasing the Outpost movies ("Show Outpost on the main screen and we'll let you premiere [name of movie]") as last year's Outpost II wasn't particularly well received, so I can hardly see the FF crowd crying out for number three. Zombie Fever sounds interesting though, but I'll probably miss it due to being perpetually in the main screen.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Patrick remake -

http://vimeo.com/66142988
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Quick round of today's film spotlights in Postcards from Cannes by Alan

Territorial

Produced by the director of Wolf Creek & Rogue and directed by Matthew Holmes

STALLED

Looks fun.

The Demon's Rook

I don't know why I even bothered to post it...

Cottage Country

Barely FrightFestable genre wise?

Hotel de Sade

Looks pretty sick (in both modern & classical meanings of the term)

Crawl Bitch Crawl

Looks intense, well crafted trailer too.

Chastity Bites

Okay...

Devil May Call

Looks tidy

anddddd Treehouse

Which carries a very fun sounding premise.

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Great working digging all this up Mitch.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

scoutthehorizon wrote:STALLED

Looks fun.
We did an interview with Richard Kerrigan at the Curzon during last year's FF (here). Does look like fun, but discovery screen at best I'd say.
Alan's Cannes Diary wrote:But the most exciting news as far as I’m concerned is the continuing rise in giallo productions.
Oh well, at least it gives some time for a decent food/fresh air break. :lol:
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

DJBenz wrote:
scoutthehorizon wrote:The Dead II: India...

Not massively impressed if I'm honest. :cry: It looks very much 'more of the same' with a different lead actor and country. I did enjoy the first one, I thought the zombies were really creepy and harked back to Fulci-era undead, but this trailer just seems a bit... I don't know. Bland?
I'm the opposite! I found the first one pretty bland, and that includes the "stunning" photography which I was underwhelmed by. They didn't have the best of cameras and it was all desert, desert, desert... so I found it all a big yellow blur (apart from those strange mountains towards the end)

This time they have better, sharper photography, and more varied, stunning locations and imagery. It looks fantastic. I just hope the plot moves a bit faster this time.
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

I have to admit I wasn't a big fan of The Dead. I thought it was over-hyped. Sure, it had some nice shots of Africa.... but to me they just felt like padding to bulk up the film. As a Zombie movie I found it a bit tedious. that said, from the trailer I think the sequel has more potential. Maybe they were just cutting their teeth on the first film.

These trailers posted look good (Thanks for doing some of the leg work!)..... well....The Demon's Book looks awful :S ha!
marvelguy
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by marvelguy »

Hey folks.

There are PLENTY of fantastic titles brought up so far but I thought i'd throw in my two cents. Here is a feature I wrote for my website listing five films I would love to see play this year: http://www.marvelguy.co.uk/Feature_Frig ... tions.html

Carrie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdoVioPv0fs
Imagine the buzz it would create to have Chloe Grace Moretz in attendance.

Chemical Peel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qlePX8-QyM
This would be the perfect opportunity to have the beautiful Natalie Victoria join us again and I know that the director Hank Braxtan would love to come do a Q&A.

Final Girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McRjP4si7bk

Hatchet III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eANoYj6AIqA

I would have said You're Next as my fifth suggestion but it has been confirmed that the film will be given a release before the festival.

- Jon
Please take a moment to visit my website
http://www.marvelguy.co.uk
Keeping you in touch with the latest releases

Social Media
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/marvelguy
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marvelguymovies
tumblr: http://thisismarvelguy.tumblr.com/
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Hideo Nakata's THE COMPLEX has just opened in Japan...