Films for Frightfest August 2013

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Films for Frightfest August 2013

Post by scoutthehorizon »

[quote="DJBenz"][/quote]

Dude, I guarantee you one of the best genre films you see this year will be a found-footage flick. Guarantee.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
sdaveak47
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by sdaveak47 »

scoutthehorizon wrote:
DJBenz wrote:
Dude, I guarantee you one of the best genre films you see this year will be a found-footage flick. Guarantee.
Yep, everyone's looking forward to PA5 !!

....I guess you mean VHS2, by all accounts the cult section is insane
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Yeah, if you mean VHS 2 that doesn't count because... erm... well it's kinda the exception the the OMG STOP MAKING FOUND FOOTAGE FILMS FFS! rule. :lol:
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Kim Ki-Duk's latest has been technically banned by the censors in his own country... Could be his first FF film since The Isle?

http://www.hancinema.net/kim-ki-duk-s-m ... 56799.html
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

From the Film4Frightfest Twitter Account:
Straight from @paulmcevoy, here's a little hint as to what to expect from #FrightFest 2013, one word: Diversity.
Just expect to have a very wide style of films and genres covered over the weekend, from lots of different countries.
Interesting, although most previous years have been pretty diverse in their programming.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Insidious 2 looks likely as they're already showing James Wan's The Conjuring as the sleepy queue film.

Hope we get it, looks good from the trailer and I loved the first one.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Vision Films is proud to announce that our new Thriller release, "The Grief Tourist" (starring Melanie Griffith and Pruitt Taylor Vince) will be screening at this year's Fright Fest in London. The event, which is the biggest UK horror, fantasy, thriller festival, takes place at the Empire Leicester Square in central London on August 22nd through the 26th. A full program listing will be posted on the festival's website later this month.
http://www.visionfilms.net/News.aspx

Don't know if there's any truth in this. The link was posted by a Melanie Griffith fan account on Twitter.
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

DJBenz wrote:
Don't know if there's any truth in this. The link was posted by a Melanie Griffith fan account on Twitter.
I'd be very surprised since this film had it's premiere at Raindance last year, to not that glowing reviews.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

scoutthehorizon wrote:I'd be very surprised since this film had it's premiere at Raindance last year, to not that glowing reviews.
Sunday afternoon slot then. :lol:
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Okay, here's my suggestions for some films that I would be less-than-surprised to see on the line-up.

As already mentioned by others, I'm willing to bet that "Insidious Chapter 2", and "The Quiet Ones" will be there.
Here's some others for your consideration though;

"The Dyatlov Pass Incident" - Directed by Renny Harlin. It's due for a DVD release around this weekend and would be ideal for the fest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8R_yg6pyro
(Ignore the female Russian Barry Norman...)

"RIPD" - Yeah, it's a bit mainstream, but it looks fun and technically it's a zombie film! Don't forget we did have the UK premiere of "Hellboy"! Occasionally the big studio films make an appearance and the UK release is just after Frightfest!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt59JjtWFSU

"In Fear" - The interesting looking Brit thriller. Again due for UK release just after the fest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veFc0X48iT0

"100 Bloody acres" - Very Wolf Creek-ish and looks like fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuspL4rht6k

"Aftershock" - Yeah, I know it was at Glasgow Frightfest, but I wouldn't be surprised if it shows at one of the "discovery" screens or something. Can't see any sign of a UK theatrical release and the UK DVD release is on the 26th Aug. Hmmm...

Apart from those, and the others already mentioned in other entries, I reckon all bets are off... but I have a feeling there will be plenty of surprises and an emphasis on European and Asian horror this year. Have nothing to base that on at all by the way, I just get the impression from Cannes that it might go that way...
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

So, everyone has suggested what they think might be on the line-up this year, but what do people want. Personally I'd like to see:
The Quiet Ones
Hotel de Sade
The Strange Colour of your Body's Tears
No One Lives
Frankenstein's Army
VHS2
You're Next

I would like to avoid
Insidious 2
Hatchet 3
..and any other pointless sequels.
Last edited by morralex on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

..I do realise that I included VHS2 in the good list, I hope this wont be pointless.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

scoutthehorizon wrote:
DJBenz wrote:
I'd be very surprised since this film had it's premiere at Raindance last year, to not that glowing reviews.
There has been plenty of crap on over the years, including films which the FF guys have mentioned is not worth watching when they've been talking to people between showings ;)

And a couple of films have sneaked in recentlym which had already been show in the UK.

However, and I can't be bothered to confirm this, but I recognise this film. If I remember correctly it was mentioned in one of the Cannes postcards as being a film one of the guys enjoyed. So, if nothing else, it may well be on the 2nd screen. I can't see a film distro making false statements, it's not like they won't get caught out.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

You're Next - I posted a while back that it had a 23/08 UK release date so would miss FF. However the release date has since changed to 30/08. Is this to tie in with FF?!

Killers - not sure anyone has mentioned this. The new film from Timo Tjahjanto, who did Macabre and a section of V/H/S/ 2. It is listed on IMDb as being in post-production but a 2013 release date listed for Japan... so could be seeing this.