Going it Alone

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Going it Alone

Post by Kris »

Talk to whoever is around you - theres no one I've sat with that has ever blanked me

From my own POV if someone wanted to chat with me I'd respond and want to get to know them better.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Just to stick my Wolfy snout in...
I'm been to the Fest by myself for the past 12 years. Had two serious girlfriends during this time, but neither they (or my closest mates) have the same interest in horror as me (Just qualifying that I'm NOT a social outcast!), so it's always been just me.

All during that time I've struck up friendships and contacts with my neighbours in the cinema rows, and found the Frightfest community to be one of the most open and friendly groups out there.
Nobody that is by themselves, will have any trouble in getting to know their fellow movie-watchers, and you can be as social or as private as you want. That's one of the great things about the fest!
Personally I've roared with laughter, shared lively debates, and had many an interesting conversation (and beers) with people that I've never seen before I met them at the cinema.
Horror is a great genre to bond to people with.

Just saying...
No need to be wary of people, or be afraid to be yourself there.

Enough from me...
I'll get me coat...
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Agreed, always nice people around to talk to
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I should be recognisable from my HorrorTalk t-shirt, which I'll be wearing a few times (I have two of the same shirt, so I'm not one of those smelly unwashed!).

Anyone's welcome to come and say hello. The name's Dan. :)
WJB
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by WJB »

jamesmcrosby wrote:Any other people going alone this year?
Hi James. I'm a Frightfest newbie - and going on my own. For some reason, I couldn't convince anyone that watching 26 horror films in 5 days is a good idea!

Really looking forward to the experience, and from my past experience of horror fans, I think it will be a great, friendly atmosphere to make some new friends.

Will.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Welcome Will

I'm sure you'll have a great time at FrightFest. This will be my 13th year. Keeps getting better.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

WJB wrote:Hi James. I'm a Frightfest newbie - and going on my own. For some reason, I couldn't convince anyone that watching 26 horror films in 5 days is a good idea!
It's a hard sell to non-die hards, but they'd be surprised to enjoy it. I remember years back I persuaded a friend to come with me to Splatterfest which was held at the Scala (when it used to be a cinema). 24 hours of films back to back. He wasn't into horror as much as me, but he had a ball. :D

Anyway, welcome to the forum and the Frightfest family. Check out the Mugshots thread so you can recognise people from the forum if you're keen-eyed. :)
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Everyone has been new at some point - I've always found it a pleasant and polite crowd (bar the pushing and shoving to get dibs on teh freebies)
monstermalin
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by monstermalin »

I'm so happy someone started this kind of thread! I'm new for this year, and i'm coming over from Sweden to attend and does not really know anyone..
But if it's as good as people have been writing about then that shouldn't be a problem :)
On what day will the pre-festival pub thing go down on?
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

monstermalin wrote:I'm so happy someone started this kind of thread! I'm new for this year, and i'm coming over from Sweden to attend and does not really know anyone..
But if it's as good as people have been writing about then that shouldn't be a problem :)
Welcome to you too. :)
On what day will the pre-festival pub thing go down on?
I believe it's usually on the Thursday before the first film starts in Yate's (opposite the cinema in Leicester Square), but I'm sure there'll be details posted up soon.
WJB
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by WJB »

Thanks guys- I really appreciate the welcome. On my way to the Empire now to pick up pass!

Really excited about August, and looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you then.
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bounce08 »

Likewise, also going alone like last year! It falls on the bank holiday weekend which in my job its very limited to book holiday so I get in there as early as possible, meaning a lot of people ai know cant and the others just dont fancy 50+ hours of films!

Defo up for a few beers with anyone I bump in to.
digitalsoul
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by digitalsoul »

I'm a loner for the day also. Actually having the chance to spend a bit of rare me time without the 2 kids is a luxury and something I'm looking forward to. if I get the chance to meet anyone then great, but my main thing is just to spend an indulgent day to myself watching movies!
ladyvengence42
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ladyvengence42 »

I went on my own last year and i was made to feel very welcome as i got chatting to lots of people especially when i was waiting for tickets in the morning for the discovery screen,also i got to meet a couple of people who i chatted online with which made me feel at ease,this year i will meeting up with some people who i made friends with at the fest who i will meeting for pre drinks if you would like to come along,and i have a friend comming down from scotland who is looking forward to comming,dont be afraid to say hello to people i know because i did it :-),anyway im going for drinks i yates before the fest if you want to join us x :)
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

[quote="Wulfster"]Just to stick my Wolfy snout in...
I'm been to the Fest by myself for the past 12 years. Had two serious girlfriends during this time, but neither they (or my closest mates) have the same interest in horror as me (Just qualifying that I'm NOT a social outcast!), so it's always been just me.

All during that time I've struck up friendships and contacts with my neighbours in the cinema rows, and found the Frightfest community to be one of the most open and friendly groups out there.
Nobody that is by themselves, will have any trouble in getting to know their fellow movie-watchers, and you can be as social or as private as you want. That's one of the great things about the fest!
Personally I've roared with laughter, shared lively debates, and had many an interesting conversation (and beers) with people that I've never seen before I met them at the cinema.
Horror is a great genre to bond to people with.

I was going out with someone from the time I started going to FFest in 2007 until last year. He was really big and tall, had a miserable expression when his face was relaxed and so not very approachable at all and so I never spoke to anyone at Ffest. The best thing about him being there was that a bird pooped on his head in Leicester Square which was hilarious. I have a new more approachable boyfriend thankfully and my son who is coming with me Sat, Sun and Mon is also very friendly, so the big monster has gone, so please free to say hi :) .
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!