Going it Alone

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
m_bain86
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Going it Alone

Post by m_bain86 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi guys...

I'm coming down for the festival this year from Aberdeen, it's my first time to the full festival (decided I couldn't miss out after I had so much fun at the Glasgow event in February - also a first for me!) and I'm going it alone, so it's nice to come across a thread like this after stumbling into the forum!

I went alone to the Glasgow one too. I was admittedly really nervous at the notion of going on my own (done it with gigs etc., out of my city in the past, but this was a bit different), but I was totally disarmed by how nice/welcoming the whole atmosphere was! Met in with some great people I'm very much looking forward to seeing again, as well as picking up a couple of Twitter contacts in the interim that I'm excited to meet!

So anyway, yes, I'm a massive latecomer both to FF and the horror genre in general, so I'm keen to make up for lost time! Will hopefully meet some of you over the weekend, I arrive on Wednesday so should be free in the evening!

DJBenz
-----
-----
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Going it Alone

Post by DJBenz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Yay! Welcome. :D

BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:01 pm
Location: Shepherds Bush

Re: Going it Alone

Post by BabyJaneHudson » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:56 am

m_bain86 wrote:Hi guys...

I'm coming down for the festival this year from Aberdeen, it's my first time to the full festival (decided I couldn't miss out after I had so much fun at the Glasgow event in February - also a first for me!) and I'm going it alone, so it's nice to come across a thread like this after stumbling into the forum!

I went alone to the Glasgow one too. I was admittedly really nervous at the notion of going on my own (done it with gigs etc., out of my city in the past, but this was a bit different), but I was totally disarmed by how nice/welcoming the whole atmosphere was! Met in with some great people I'm very much looking forward to seeing again, as well as picking up a couple of Twitter contacts in the interim that I'm excited to meet!

So anyway, yes, I'm a massive latecomer both to FF and the horror genre in general, so I'm keen to make up for lost time! Will hopefully meet some of you over the weekend, I arrive on Wednesday so should be free in the evening!

Welcome to FFest from a native Londoner - Have a safe journey down :)
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!

m_bain86
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Going it Alone

Post by m_bain86 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks guys! Really excited to come down, only six more working days after this one til I take off!

Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!
Posts: 576
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:30 pm
Location: The Back Of The Beyond

Re: Going it Alone

Post by Alex J » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:15 pm

I sat next to a man from Aberdeen at Glasgow, so I suspect it could be you?! You mentioned that some of the Sawney locations were places you occasionally walk through.... Look forward to seeing you again in London!
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

m_bain86
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Going it Alone

Post by m_bain86 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:56 am

Alex J wrote:I sat next to a man from Aberdeen at Glasgow, so I suspect it could be you?! You mentioned that some of the Sawney locations were places you occasionally walk through.... Look forward to seeing you again in London!
YES! That was me! My band played a gig in the venue that features at the start of the film just a couple of weeks ago!

Looking forward to catching up with you again man :)

Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:59 pm
Location: Osterley
Contact:

Re: Going it Alone

Post by Rob@Sky » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:43 pm

This is a good thread to have, as it can be quite daunting turning up alone. Of course not everyone knows each other, but it can sometimes feel that way when you're on your tod.

Best advice is what's been mentioned here already - start up a conversation with the person/people next to you. 99% of FFers are great people and one of the best aspects of FF is that you can have decent, insightful conversations on horror movies. Don't be afraid to make that first introduction, you have a great common interest in the festival itself you ain't going to be stuck for conversation topics.

After that your network spreads - like a virus fittingly enough, but not one that threatens humankind. But, maybe like a Cronenbergian one that radically changes your reality. And as Dave would say, that can sometimes be a good thing.
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!

LondonHorrorSociety
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Going it Alone

Post by LondonHorrorSociety » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Hey Guys,

I'll also be a FF loner this weekend - am looking forward to it hugely! will definitely hope to build a rapport with those around me. I have a weekend pass and am sitting on row EE if anyone wants to know :)

DJBenz
-----
-----
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Going it Alone

Post by DJBenz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:30 pm

LondonHorrorSociety wrote:I'll also be a FF loner this weekend
You are the London Horror Society. By definition you are legion. :s

Welcome, pull up a chair to the fire and roast a brain. :D

User avatar
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Sunny Caerphilly (133.4 Miles West of Fright Fest)
Contact:

Re: Going it Alone

Post by zappa fan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:30 pm

LondonHorrorSociety wrote:Hey Guys,

I'll also be a FF loner this weekend - am looking forward to it hugely! will definitely hope to build a rapport with those around me. I have a weekend pass and am sitting on row EE if anyone wants to know :)
Make sure you get down to the Captains Cabin from 2pm on Thursday for pre-drinks. Not long now!
LAST FILM- Deadbeat at Dawn ***
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." - The Mighty Frank Zappa

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey

Lou_Roll
Walking Dead
Walking Dead
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: London

Re: Going it Alone

Post by Lou_Roll » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:37 pm

zappa fan wrote:
LondonHorrorSociety wrote:Hey Guys,

I'll also be a FF loner this weekend - am looking forward to it hugely! will definitely hope to build a rapport with those around me. I have a weekend pass and am sitting on row EE if anyone wants to know :)
Make sure you get down to the Captains Cabin from 2pm on Thursday for pre-drinks. Not long now!

See you therrrrrrrrrrrre!
MI5 messed with my salad.
Twitter: Lou_Roll

LondonHorrorSociety
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Going it Alone

Post by LondonHorrorSociety » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:10 pm

zappa fan wrote:
LondonHorrorSociety wrote:Hey Guys,

I'll also be a FF loner this weekend - am looking forward to it hugely! will definitely hope to build a rapport with those around me. I have a weekend pass and am sitting on row EE if anyone wants to know :)
Make sure you get down to the Captains Cabin from 2pm on Thursday for pre-drinks. Not long now!

Nice! i'll try my best but im working till 5 :( First film is at what, 5:30?

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: Going it Alone

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:25 pm

6:30

Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:18 am
Location: Royton, Oldham
Contact:

Re: Going it Alone

Post by Kris » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:54 am

Never be concerned about going alone. You will always get to know new people by Monday night
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com

bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Re: Going it Alone

Post by bounce08 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:18 am

Also about to commence this 5-day quest alone! Happy to enjoy a beer or two with an FF-ers!

Post Reply