Frightfest - Need to know information

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Frightfest - Need to know information

Post by Kris »

This might come in handy to people especially those who are new to going but what recomendations are there from us FF regulars as in where to eat, drink and information that may just come in useful.

Anyone new and staying at HHH? Allow 15 mins to walk to The Empire and if you can then work out your walking route. I usually go Shaftesbury Ave, Charing Cross Rd and then cut through to Leicester Sq as I have got lost round Covent Garden before.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
zur-an-arrh
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Frightfest - Need to know information

Post by zur-an-arrh »

Nice thought Kris.

What about eating places? I usually find we are stuck with Subway/ Pret for quickly grabbed food inbetween films.

Any better ideas anyone?
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

If you stay at HHH - Sainsburys, rolls, butter, ham, mustard

Less than what you pay at Subway for a sandwich. Few of you staying there then split the cost
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Fruit too - there is always fruit at HHH buffets, people need their vitamins after endless hours of sitting and lack of natural light.

I usually go to BK at least once during the festival, but lets be honest, their only decent burger is the Whopper and that is only the cheap 'King of the Day' on Wednesday, which is never covered by FF.

China Town round the back, especially with the little stalls is far cheaper (and I like to entertain healthier) and much quicker for getting a cheap snack than the tourist clogged fast food chains. And if your bothered about food safety, then given the recent horse meat scandals, just take comfort that you really never know what you are eating or where it has come from.

I'm actually up early enough to make use of the Co-op on the Strand and their reduced items.

Because Leicester Sq is busy, it can feel pretty daunting, but most things are within a good 10-20 round trip if you are a good and quick walker. Just know your route and stick to it.

What I would like is if someone could put some directions from Empire and HHH to the Phoenix Club, because I always have trouble finding that place.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Take out a second mortgage if your on the beer
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Little Korea round the corner is good, cheap and quick if you want a decent lunch :ugeek:
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Prices and buffet style or take out?
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Neither...sit down. do teryaki, katsu, stuff like that.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Mmmmm Katsu!
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

Can anyone walk into the Phoenix? I thought it was members only or do they just let frightfesters in?
Atari
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Atari »

Should be able to walk in with your pass. That's how it has worked in the past.
Wiltaim
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Wiltaim »

Re: The phoenix , I think anyone with pass has like 1 month entry ? certainly no issue during the festival .
The last night is normally packed out - no more space inside !!!
it's handy as it enroute to HHH (sort of)
Twitter: @Rowdoc
Letterboxd: Rowdoc
Entropia Universe : Rowdoc Rowdoc Donner
satanslittlehelper
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by satanslittlehelper »

I would share my top tips, but I like going to places where there are no queues and can get in and out quickly :p and as much as I love you all, I will never tell. ;)
"If you were the only suspect in a senseless bloodbath - would you be standing in the horror section?"
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

satanslittlehelper wrote:I would share my top tips, but I like going to places where there are no queues and can get in and out quickly :p and as much as I love you all, I will never tell. ;)
Or we could all just follow you:
satanslittlehelper wrote:F35 and 36 for myself and the mrs. Same seats for the last 4 years now. They feel like a home away from home. :D
black_rainstorm
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by black_rainstorm »

I liked hiding out in the Curzon bar for solace between the films. My issue with the breaks between films is that I tend to end up spending a lot of money unnecessarily.