What does everyone think of the line up then?

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: What does everyone think of the line up then?

Post by Wolfshade »

Yeah, it looks better than last year, on first glance V/H/S 2, You're Next, Dark Touch, Big Bad Wolves and Odd Thomas would appear to be the highlights...but my initial impressions always prove to be wrong so who knows.

I always try to see some of the Disco screen films, so possibly Antisocial (I can skip Hatchet 3 as I hated the first 2), and maybe some of the retro stuff, Fall Of The House of Usher, and/or Nosferatu.

Tenatively looking forward to Curse Of Chucky, I loved Bride but hated Seed, so it looks like I'll either love it or hate it. And yes, Hammer Of The Gods looks extremely out of place judging by the write up.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

I must admit "Hammer of the Gods" does seem a bit random, judging by the several trailers I've seen. But I could be wrong (situation normal).

The only definitive decision I've made so far with the disco films, is that I'll see "Wither" instead of "I spit on your grave 2".
Oddly enough, I really rated the remake, and thought Sarah Butler was awesome in it, but the sequel just looks to be a city-based version with different characters...
And I liked "Blood runs cold", so I really wanted to see Sonny Laguna's follow-up, which looks a pretty damn good evil-dead-alike.

Umm-ing & Aah-ing over the others at the mo', but I would love to see "Stalled" ... if only it wasn't up against "Frankenstein's Army" and "Big Bad Wolves"!
Oh cruel fate, why do you mock me so? :x
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Looking good so far. I've been really wanting to see The American Scream for a while now, but it's on at the same time as The Dyatlov Pass Incident. :(
Other than that I don't think there's any clashes for me on Friday.

Hammer of the Gods does look a bit out of place on Saturday, but hey, it might be refreshing against all the horror. Another solid day for me.

Sunday I'll be flagging so probably miss the opener, then catch In Fear or Paranormal Diaries. I'd rather smash my face repeatedly into a wall than watch stoner "comedy" like The 420 Witch. :roll:

Monday looking good again, and my goodness Big Bad Wolves starts at 9.00pm so I can probably organise a train to let me catch the closing film. Hurrah!
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Hammer of the Gods is odd but I think it'll be fun and there's nothing wrong with variety.

Clashes for me are In Fear/Paranormal Diaries, Demons Rock/Hypnotist, American Scream/For Elisa.

I reckon Paranormal Diaries and Demons Rock will win, not sure about other one. Have to see what ticket situation is like I guess.
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

Hammer of the gods ? really ? All round the film festivals and all those screeners and thats it ? It's a shame so many actual HORROR films have been ignored over this.
the house shot her !!!
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

brad1000 wrote:Hammer of the gods ? really ? All round the film festivals and all those screeners and thats it ? It's a shame so many actual HORROR films have been ignored over this.
yeah it does look a bit shit, but i reckon after a drink it'l be a laugh.
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

Maybe if we all club together we can convince them to change Hammer of the Gods for something else? :P
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Hammer of the Gods is one of the films that interests me the most. Limbs being hacked off by Saxon warriors?! Count me in. Anyway, people always seem to forget that many years have featured a decidely non-horror film (ie Korea gansgters, New Zealand stunt comedies, mountain climbers in Scotland, Star Wars fans on road trips, etc).

As I love a bit of Nordic crime, hoping The Hypnosist is good. Now, I have the book in my unread pile, do I read it first?

I would say, it's more down to which films don't look that interesting. So may give the first three on Friday a miss: Pass, Dementemania, Hatchet III in favour of For Elisa, Daylight and Antisocial. Painless ahead of Missionary. Willow Creek over Banshee Chapter. Wake in Fright over 100 Bloody Acres.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Wulfster wrote:
I think the Discovery line-up is incredibly strong as well. I desperately want to see "Stalled" and "Wither", both of which have great advance word. Have the usual problem with them clashing with main screens films I want to see though. Grrr... :evil:
Stalled does look fun, I think I may have to skip We Are What We Are (I absolutely hated the original), and see it. Painless, Wither and Snap look to be the other highlights of the Discovery screen.

also lol @ the trailer to The Demon's Rook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ILJvfXfMw
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

I'm trying to not pay to much attention to the line up as the films I get excited about tend to let me down but then some unknown film blows me away. This has happened at every FF event I have attended.
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

Bearded Avenger wrote:Hammer of the Gods is one of the films that interests me the most. Limbs being hacked off by Saxon warriors?! Count me in. Anyway, people always seem to forget that many years have featured a decidely non-horror film (ie Korea gansgters, New Zealand stunt comedies, mountain climbers in Scotland, Star Wars fans on road trips, etc).

As I love a bit of Nordic crime, hoping The Hypnosist is good. Now, I have the book in my unread pile, do I read it first?

I would say, it's more down to which films don't look that interesting. So may give the first three on Friday a miss: Pass, Dementemania, Hatchet III in favour of For Elisa, Daylight and Antisocial. Painless ahead of Missionary. Willow Creek over Banshee Chapter. Wake in Fright over 100 Bloody Acres.
I agree there is a place for crossover films in frightfest - but they have to be GOOD movies to achieve this , not sub- snyderesque homo-erotic piffle. changing the subject i wouldn't write off 100 bloody acres - my prediction is it will be the suprise hit of the weekend.
the house shot her !!!
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

brad1000 wrote: i wouldn't write off 100 bloody acres - my prediction is it will be the suprise hit of the weekend.
Have you seen it? Just wondering what makes you say that, because its looks poor from the trailer, and I was already thinking about seeing Snap instead or just getting an early night.

It's always a film I'm not expecting much from that turns out to be my favourite, but I wasn't thinking it'd be 100 Bloody Acres.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

brad1000 wrote: I agree there is a place for crossover films in frightfest - but they have to be GOOD movies to achieve this , not sub- snyderesque homo-erotic piffle. changing the subject i wouldn't write off 100 bloody acres - my prediction is it will be the suprise hit of the weekend.
haha well said on HOTG! still reckon it'll be total jokes. :lol:
halloweengirl
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by halloweengirl »

In the olden days FrightFest was about horror and fantasy so I can see how Hammer of the Gods would fit in, plus my old man will enjoy this - he loves all that Viking stuff!
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Cracking line up I think. Potentially one of the best in my 4-5 years of FFing