What does everyone think of the line up then?

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: What does everyone think of the line up then?

Post by morralex »

Malky wrote:Since the line up is being shuffled slightly, what do you hope gets booted and what do you want to replace it?

I doubt anything will get booted, although I am happy that Clophill has been moved to the same time as Hammer of the Gods, so I will get to see In Fear. Although I will be honest I was kind of looking forward to HotG cos it looks rubbish and funny. :lol:
alacal2
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by alacal2 »

If it helps anybody's scheduling problems for the Sunday, In Fear is previewing at the BFI Southbank on 28 Aug at 20.40.
AlessaDark
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by AlessaDark »

Kim Newman tipped Dark Touch, Cheap Thrills and We Are What We Are, on Facebook today.
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

AlessaDark wrote:Kim Newman tipped Dark Touch, Cheap Thrills and We Are What We Are, on Facebook today.
Is the 'We Are what We Are' a remake of the Mexican one shown at FF a few years back? I know a lot of people enjoyed it but I really didn't. I found it slow, predictable and rather dull actually. I'll give this one a go though unless there is any particular clash at the time elsewhere, but I'm not too excited by it myself.
Twitter: @ArghZombies
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

ArghZombies wrote:
AlessaDark wrote:Kim Newman tipped Dark Touch, Cheap Thrills and We Are What We Are, on Facebook today.
Is the 'We Are what We Are' a remake of the Mexican one shown at FF a few years back? I know a lot of people enjoyed it but I really didn't. I found it slow, predictable and rather dull actually. I'll give this one a go though unless there is any particular clash at the time elsewhere, but I'm not too excited by it myself.
I'm with you on the mexican WAWWA...
I found it really dull and overrated as well.
But the Frightfest gang (amongst others) have been bigging up the remake, and calling it one of the best films that will be showing, saying that it's hugely different to the original.
I'd be sceptical, but it is directed by Jim Mickle, who did "Stakeland" and "Mulberry Street", both of which I really liked.
Quite optimistic and looking forward to it ... 8)
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

I thought the first one was brilliant and I am looking forward to remake as I've heard its really good.
Critter Egg
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Critter Egg »

Bit disappointed with the 3 o'clock slot on Saturday. Really don't want to see Hammer of the Gods, don't particular like the looks of Cannon Fodder. I thought Contracted sounded interesting but I see that's been changed in favour of that Clophill thing and as I found the Zombie Diaries really dull I don't hold much hope for that one. The rest of the fest looks fantastic though guess I'll have a couple of hours to kill on Saturday afternoon.
"What's that you've got on your feet there?""Good Guy PJ Sneakers!"
Choggler
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Choggler »

Agree with you - wish Contracted had not moved as I want to see In Fear a lot and now they clash. Contracted is only being shown once :(
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

Like the previous couple of posters I'm disappointed about Contracted, as I can't now find anything I'm bothered about in that slot and the one before it isn't that appealing now either - I suspect I'll go for Frankenstein's Army but I might just take a long break and have a decent meal, a pint and an hour's kip (preferably all in the same place if they're feeling accommodating) and wander back in time for No One Lives.

No such problem with any of the other days, so hardly a massive stutter.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Oh dear ...

I see that R.I.P.D. has bombed badly in the states and got major crappy reviews across the board...
(unlike the sleepy queue preview film which has done mega-bucks!!)

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/68815/ ... -comes-doa

And there I was telling everybody to give it a chance, and even writing an article that I was giving it the benefit of the doubt and looking forward to it...
Well, it was directed by Robert Schwenkte, who did "Tattoo" from Frightfest 2003!

I MUST get that optimism gland removed. It's doing me no favours at all ... :|
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Wulfster wrote:I MUST get that optimism gland removed. It's doing me no favours at all ... :|
R.I.P.D. was up against Pacific Rim and World War Z, so no wonder its box office was weak. I think if anyone goes into that film expecting anything other than brainless popcorn action then they'll be seriously disappointed. Check your brain at the door, I'm sure.

(Look, I have an over-developed optimism gland too!) :D
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

DJBenz wrote:
Wulfster wrote:I MUST get that optimism gland removed. It's doing me no favours at all ... :|
R.I.P.D. was up against Pacific Rim and World War Z, so no wonder its box office was weak. I think if anyone goes into that film expecting anything other than brainless popcorn action then they'll be seriously disappointed. Check your brain at the door, I'm sure.

(Look, I have an over-developed optimism gland too!) :D
Not a flop just because of the competition, critics are giving it a major bashing as well:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ripd/

The alternatives are The Borderlands and Willow Creek, neither of which look like the best options on the Discovery Screens, but I may have to give one of them a chance.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Wolfshade wrote:Not a flop just because of the competition, critics are giving it a major bashing as well:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ripd/
And still has 94% 'Want to see' from audiences, despite that. :eek:
The alternatives are The Borderlands and Willow Creek, neither of which look like the best options on the Discovery Screens, but I may have to give one of them a chance.
Nope, neither of those appeal to me either. RIPD it is. :D
sdaveak47
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by sdaveak47 »

Pubs always fun tho'
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

The line up looks ok but there are some films in there that I know from looking at the trailers I will be disappointed with. Hammer of the Gods looks bad and comparing it to Game Of Thrones which I love is a bit iffy. Its like comparing Phantom Menace to Empire Strikes Back based on the fact that light sabers make an appearance in both movies. R.I.P.D with its terrible CGI'd baddies peed me off as soon as I saw the trailer - seriously there is no excuse for that kind of laziness, it looks shocking ! :eek: . The acting in No One Lives looked pretty ropey and there are a few more which I will be avoiding.

However because of this I have looked more closely at the discovery screen offerings and I have seen some films which are right up my alley. The Desert, Painless, Rewind This and Paranormal Diaries:Cophill look good :p and I am surprised that The Desert and Painless in particular are not on the main screen. I just hope I can get into to the DS1 and DS2 as I have never been in before and Im not sure how difficult it is. How early should we start queuing up :?:

Movies I will be seeing on the main screen are CURSE OF CHUCKY - Being old enough to remember seeing Child's Play on VHS when I just started college in '88 this one has to be seen, if not just to hear him swear or call someone a bitch with his evil doll face expression - love it. THE DEAD 2 looks okay. Saw the first one at FFest which was quite good. Seeing this one as I want to come to the opening day with my son so there isn't any point coming for only one movie. YOU'RE NEXT doesn't look worth the journey home on the night bus to me, but if the urge takes over I may see it if there are any tickets left at the back where I like to sit.

HATCHET 3 is a definite as I really like the first and second - they are entertaining, fun and gory so Im looking forward to this. PAINLESS looks interesting and VHS 2 looks better than the first one judging from the trailer so these are the only ones Im watching on Friday.

FRANKENSTEINS ARMY, PARANORMAL DIARIES:COPHILL, THE DESERT or REWIND THIS all look wicked for Saturday. I am very tempted to watch CHEAP THRILLS though, it looks pretty intense. Very tempted.

BANSHEE CHAPTER 3D, THE CONSPIRACY and THE LAST DAYS are on the list for Sunday with I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE 2 a maybe due to the night bus journey home dilema.

Only seeing WE ARE WHAT WE ARE and BIG BAD WOLVES on Monday. Big Bad Wolves does look like a worthy festival closer.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!