What does everyone think of the line up then?

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

What does everyone think of the line up then?

Post by morralex »

TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: What does everyone think of the line up then?

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Only just got round to looking at it and I like to treat every film as a surprise, the only time I read up on films is if there is a clash.

I will only know what I think after seeing them.

Having said that, I think I Spit on Your Grave 2 is something I will miss - Original and remake are boring and rotten so a sequel is never going to fly with me.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

On paper a lot better than last year
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Yes, I agree. Some pretty odd stuff in there though: Hammer of the Gods and RIPD...

Very varied which is good. Odd Thomas looks great and not something I would have expected but am happy its on.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

I think it's an excellent line-up overall.
There are some surprising entries ("Odd Thomas" for one, which is apparently very good, even though it's Stephen Sommers!), and I really wasn't expecting "Curse of Chucky".
Overall it's a good mix of mainstream ("RIPD", hey it's got Jeff Bridges and Mary-Louise Parker in it! Benefit of the doubt...), off-the-wall ("Haunter" which looks really cool), and must-see films ("You're next" & "V/H/S 2").
However, I WILL be avoiding trailers from now on for the line-up.

I think the Discovery line-up is incredibly strong as well. I desperately want to see "Stalled" and "Wither", both of which have great advance word. Have the usual problem with them clashing with main screens films I want to see though. Grrr... :evil:

Only thing that does surprise me is the total lack of Asian / J-Horror this year, which does seem a little odd.

Only thing that does NOT surprise me is the lack of Giallo ... not after "Tulpa" last year ... I'm still laughing :lol:
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Maybe there's just not anything decent out there or available at the moment.

Surprises for me, no "massive" Saturday night movie and the closing film is usually something that will get released generally but this year isn't.

All in all, some great choices, some things I will miss, I know where my early nights will be too

I'd like to know more about this FF Extra screen tho
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

Already have 3-4 clashes, which is usually a sign of a good line-up. The only one that seems a bit random is Hammer of the Gods... I mean, from what I've seen I don't feel it even loosely fit the horror bill. (Maybe something else fell through last minute and they needed to quickly replace it for a full line up?)

I think the Discover screen is the strongest it's ever been.

Really good job this year! Much better than last.

Really looking forward to:

Curse of Chucky
You're Next
R.I.P.D
Cheap Thrills
VHS2
The Grief Tourist
I Spit on your Grave II
We Are What We Are
Odd Thomas
No One Lives
Stalled
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It looks great to me. Some years the lineup has been too much on the grim and glum side for my tastes, but this looks to be a lighter mixture. I'll probably go into the Discovery screen instead of VHS2 and The Conspiracy, as I don't like Found-Footage movies and I do think that style has worn very thin. (That said, I might catch Paranormal Diaries, because Clophill is just down the A6 from where I live!). And I'll probably pass on I Spit On Your Grave 2, again due to personal tastes, and catch whatever's in Disco.

It's a shame there's no giallo this year - I don't think Tulpa was half as terrible as everyone has said. Most old giallos are a bit shonky anyway, that's part of their charm and why we love them!
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Still not selling giallo movies to me :p

Going to watch the Clophill movie as I love going on ghost hunts and would love to visit somewhere like that
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

Okay... I used to live in Dunstable... and we all used to go up to this old church in a place called Clophill because it was apparently haunted. Mainly we just took girls up there and got drunk but am I right in thinking this film is about the same place?? :)
horrorkid78
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by horrorkid78 »

awesome looking line up, cant wait to see V/H/S 2, Hatchet 3, Cheap Thrills, Contracted, Stalled, No One Lives and In Fear,
I cant make the opening night so I'm hoping Chucky 6 and You're next get another screening, does anybody think they will?
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

No big guest slot this year?
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bounce08 »

Got to say, the FrightFest team have made it pretty easy for me this year as to what I'm going to watch, to the point where I have not bought a festival pass for the first time and have bought individual day passes as some of the days simply have nothing that interests me. So, I will be watching/have bought already/will buy the following:

Thursday 22nd - Day One Pass
Will watch: The Dead 2, Curse of Chucky, You're Next

Friday 23rd - Day Two Pass
Will watch: The Dyatlov Pass Incident, Dementamania, Antisocial, Haunter, V/H/S 2

Saturday 24th - Individual tickets (when released)
Will watch: Frankenstein's Army, No One Lives, Willow Creek

Sunday 25th - Not attending
Won't be attending Sunday as have to work and can't get out of that although would have watch In Fear and The Last Days.

Monday 26th - Not attending
Nothing at all remotely interests me for Monday although if I had to pick probably Big Bad Wolves but won't be turning up on the last day.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the line up. I think the FF guys really pulled it out the bag with Curse of Chucky, it is a bit of a surprise. Also very curious to see Haunted (I LOVE Vincenzo Natali's 'Cube') and like the atmosphere for the trailer for The Dyatlov Pass Incident which looks like a 'Blair Witch' rip off in a good way!

Can't wait.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

In general very pleased with the lineup (Friday and Monday seem to have very good lineups, with only Sunday looking weak), and the Discovery Screen is so strong that there always seems to be something better for films I'm not keen on seeing on the Main Screen. In particular, I'm planning to watch "Wither" over "I Spit on Your Grave 2".
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Disco screen does look strong. Want to watch Paranormal Diaries, For ELISA, American Scream and Willow Creek in there. Will also probably take in Corruption and H. of Usher over what's in main screen at the time, all ticket permitting obviously.