3D Films for Frightfest 2013

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
DJBenz
-----
-----

3D Films for Frightfest 2013

Post by DJBenz »

So far, on the main screen and according to the schedule we've got RIPD and Banshee Chapter in 3D. :geek:
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: 3D Films for Frightfest 2013

Post by bounce08 »

I cant wait for this trend of everything being in 3D to end. Most films are post-converted to 3D and looks TERRIBLE, it really takes away from the viewing experience and in most cases makes the film less sharp and harder to see.

Avatar and Pacific Rim are the only films Ive seen that the inclusion of 3D enhanced the film.

IMO the cinemas/studios should be pushing ultra high resolution in cinemas like 8k instead.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Ironically, two of my favourite films this year ("Iron Man 3" & "Man of Steel") are great, but I saw them in 3D IMAX, and the effects were absolutely POINTLESS and almost non-existent.

Oddly enough whatever you think of the "Texas Chainsaw 3D" remake, the 3D effects on it were actually pretty mint at the cinema! And at least you got a chainsaw in the face! Go get 'em Cuz!
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

3D works quite well for animated films. Seeing UP in 3D was pretty good. However i've not been impressed with live-action in 3D at all. Also the additional markup in ticket prices for an already expensive evening out just makes it even less tempting. The only live-action film that actually benefited from 3D was, surprisingly, Jackass 3D. That's because it was all slo-mo shots of things hitting people in the face. (And who doesn't like to see that!) Slow motion works well in 3D, but anything faster just can't cope with the refresh rate so isn't worth while in my opinion.

It's just a phase, as it was for all the other iterations of 3D going back through cinema history. Yes, it's better 3D now than it was, so the tech is getting better, but it's still a phase. Until we get proper 3D hologramatic Star-Wars style stuff, or Star Trek Holodeck then it's all just gimicky. Where is my damn Holodeck anyway, it's 2013 people!
Twitter: @ArghZombies
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Yes, it's getting extremely irritating the way every big movie MUST be in 3D now, when it's always post-conversion and adds nothing apart from an extra 2 quid to the ticket price.

In terms of FF, Final Destination 5 was great in 3D cos it had actually been made for it, with spikes coming out of the screen at you, but Paura last year had absolutely no reason to be in 3D and added nothing to an already shit film...even worse was the time in 08 when we had to wander from the Odeon to Cineworld to see the awful Scar in pointless 3D.

With so many films in 3D now, FF are at least managing to keep the 3D films to an acceptable minimum, and hopefully it'll stay that way. Of the 3Ds this year, R.I.P.D may be slightly enhanced by 3D, but I can see it adding to Banshee Chapter at all.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Wolfshade wrote:Yes, it's getting extremely irritating the way every big movie MUST be in 3D now, when it's always post-conversion and adds nothing apart from an extra 2 quid to the ticket price.

In terms of FF, Final Destination 5 was great in 3D cos it had actually been made for it, with spikes coming out of the screen at you, but Paura last year had absolutely no reason to be in 3D and added nothing to an already shit film...even worse was the time in 08 when we had to wander from the Odeon to Cineworld to see the awful Scar in pointless 3D.

With so many films in 3D now, FF are at least managing to keep the 3D films to an acceptable minimum, and hopefully it'll stay that way. Of the 3Ds this year, R.I.P.D may be slightly enhanced by 3D, but I can see it adding to Banshee Chapter at all.
Couldn't agree more!
Do you know, until you mentioned it there, I'd totally forgotten that "Paura" was even in 3D! That says a hell of a lot! :roll:

3D only works if a)The film is intentionally made around the concept ("Avatar", although I personally dislike the film) or b)It just uses the effects for juvenile in-your-face stuff. Let's hope "R.I.P.D." goes with option b)... :green:
Wiltaim
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Wiltaim »

Are they actually confirmed as being in 3d - Oh joy of joys , gouge out my bleeding eyes out with a teaspoon again !!!

You may have guessed I am not a fan of 3D
Twitter: @Rowdoc
Letterboxd: Rowdoc
Entropia Universe : Rowdoc Rowdoc Donner
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I will not soon forget the 3D in Paura last year because for the first half hour my eyes were constantly trying to adjust to the subtitles. Normally I have no trouble viewing 3D or reading subtitles, but I'd never seen a non-English-language 3D film, and whenever the subtitles appeared, apparently floating over the rest of the action, my eyes would always try to refocus on the text, find that everything had gone out-of-focus, then refocus to normal. Then after reading the text the same unfocussing and refocussing would happen when I glanced back at the action. It felt really unpleasant, and it was a relief when the horror finally got going and the amount of dialogue decreased.

I did enjoy the 3D in Final Destination 5, but that was using 3D as the only thing it's actually useful for: as a novelty gimmick to allow things to fly out of the screen.

Maybe in future Frightfests, 2D versions of the 3D films could be offered on one of the Discovery screens, so that people who don't like 3D or have problems viewing it, can enjoy the films.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Wiltaim wrote:Are they actually confirmed as being in 3d
RIPD - http://www.frightfest.co.uk/films/2013f ... igh12.html

Banshee Chapter - http://www.frightfest.co.uk/films/2013f ... igh22.html

Both of them say 3D on the header image, so I guess that's as much confirmation as there'll be.
Wiltaim
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Wiltaim »

It looks like it might be The Borderlands &/or Willow Creek instead
Seriously, The Avengers was last 3D film I watch & it was painful experience which tainted the film for me ( 2d version wasn't playing at time my son & I could see )
Twitter: @Rowdoc
Letterboxd: Rowdoc
Entropia Universe : Rowdoc Rowdoc Donner
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

would have loved to see Willow Creek. Shame its not in the main screen.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

3D is a massive conning rip-off, which for the 2nd time is actually dieing a slow death, at least in the cinemas, where they are releasing fewer 3D films.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22909112

If you believe the 'talk', it is generally a gimic to stop cammers from recording in the cinema (quite who does that now I have no idea).

I have seen 4 3D films in my time.

Man of Steel (a treat for a mate), Alice in Wonderland (a birthday (not mine) present treat), Final Destination 5 and Fright Night (2011).

50% of the 3D films I've seen were at Frightfest.

I avoided Paura last year.

Given the choice I will only go to 2D screenings, a festival ticket for FF makes 3D more tolerable.
thatcambridgebird
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by thatcambridgebird »

Urgh, Paura gave me a headache last year, exactly for the straining-to-read-subtitles reason someone else gave.

I do want to see RIPD, but generally in 'normal' cinemagoing, me and him indoors try to avoid 3D showings. The most recent one we saw - and most unbelievably pointless in terms of using the tech - was World War Z. We thought we'd chosen a 2D showing, duuuh. Everything problematic about the film aside, the 3D seemed to be the most obvious example of a gimmick I've seen yet. As far as I could tell, the only obvious 3D moment was in a dark stairwell with a zombie-jumping-toward-the-camera jump scare. Terrible film overall too.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I don't tend to mind it although given the choice I tend to go for the 2D option. I would have made an exception for Pacific Rim but the 2D shows happened to be more conveniently timed. I don't think Rim lost anything in 2D. And when I saw Great Gatsby, Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3, Man Of Steel and various others in their 2D versions, I didn't feel I was missing anything and I forgot there was a 3D print playing in the next room.

Now, my big annoyance with 3D is that twice last week I had to ask the cinema staff to remove the 3D filters for 2D screenings.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

World War Z joins the long list of films that were made worse by 3D. When are they going to twig that rapid movement and 3D don't mix?

Actually, screw it - jonbly's buying a pair of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004X4L1UC