3D Films for Frightfest 2013

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: 3D Films for Frightfest 2013

Post by Wulfster »

streetrw wrote:I don't tend to mind it although given the choice I tend to go for the 2D option. I would have made an exception for Pacific Rim but the 2D shows happened to be more conveniently timed. I don't think Rim lost anything in 2D. And when I saw Great Gatsby, Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3, Man Of Steel and various others in their 2D versions, I didn't feel I was missing anything and I forgot there was a 3D print playing in the next room.

Now, my big annoyance with 3D is that twice last week I had to ask the cinema staff to remove the 3D filters for 2D screenings.
I can definitely assure you that you didn't miss anything from not seeing IM3, MOS, and Star Trek in 3D. Absolutely pointless... although there were some nice 3D lens-flare in the last one... (Abrams using lens-flare ... who would've guessed!).
I must admit though, that "Pacific Rim" did have some nice 3D effects with immersive stuff adding to the scale and depth, although I saw it in IMAX, which might have helped...

We desperately need some good quality 3D horror though at some point ... other than "Creature from the Black Lagoon", "It came from Outer Space", or "House of Wax" (not the Paris Hilton remake!). Now THEY got it right!! :p
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

It wasn't just Imax, Pacific Rim's 3D was way ahead of those other movies... although the film bored me to tears :p
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Wulfster wrote:We desperately need some good quality 3D horror though at some point ... other than "Creature from the Black Lagoon", "It came from Outer Space", or "House of Wax" (not the Paris Hilton remake!). Now THEY got it right!! :p
I don't think we need some good quality 3D horror - we just need some good quality horror. To me the 3D feels like an irrelevance: I can't think of a 2D film that would have been improved by 3D, nor a 3D film that wouldn't have been just as good/stinky in 2D. I used to think it could be a good idea if used properly, but they've had plenty of opportunities and that one instance, that "game changer", if you will, hasn't shown up and I'm increasingly doubtful it ever will.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Wiltaim
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Wiltaim »

streetrw wrote:
Wulfster wrote:We desperately need some good quality 3D horror though at some point ... other than "Creature from the Black Lagoon", "It came from Outer Space", or "House of Wax" (not the Paris Hilton remake!). Now THEY got it right!! :p
I don't think we need some good quality 3D horror - we just need some good quality horror. To me the 3D feels like an irrelevance: I can't think of a 2D film that would have been improved by 3D, nor a 3D film that wouldn't have been just as good/stinky in 2D. I used to think it could be a good idea if used properly, but they've had plenty of opportunities and that one instance, that "game changer", if you will, hasn't shown up and I'm increasingly doubtful it ever will.
Bang on ! I only reason hate 3D because hurts eyes ( directly result starting wearing I think)

I want a good horror that holds my attentions or throws off balance or scares the pants off me. it does matter if 2D, 3D , scope, imax , 16mm or 8mm, digi or even hand painted on glass slides as long as format does distract from story telling. So I just need to able see /hear what is happening , the filmmakers don't treat me a like child or explain everything. If at any point I think " oh look at that " the filmakers have failed because they have dragged out of story.
In Hindsight, I can think that scene or effect well done , or ask myself How was that achieved ? ... there is difference between reviewing & watching a film.
Twitter: @Rowdoc
Letterboxd: Rowdoc
Entropia Universe : Rowdoc Rowdoc Donner