Discovery Film Recommendations

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Discovery Film Recommendations

Post by STun »

Can anyone recommend any of the discovery screen films this year?

Any hidden gems worth seeing that have good word of mouth?

Sometimes I see a film on the big screen one and wish I'd seen something in the discovery screen instead.
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Discovery Film Recommendations

Post by Kris »

Sadik 2
Wither
Paranormal Diaries: Clophill
Snap

Some of the ones I am to watch at least
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Some of our writers have seen Wither and Antisocial so far and given very positive reviews.

Wither, in particular, could be one to watch.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Dunno bout word of mouth but I am hoping to watch For Elisa, The Demon's Rook, Paranormal Diaries, Willow Creek and maybe Painless if I get up in time on Sunday, although I may well stay in bed as I'll probably need a lie in by then.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Think I may replace the following

Daylight instead of Dementamania
Wither instead of VHS2
Willow Creek instead of Banshee Chapter
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Wither looks good if you like Evil Dead I guess, I want to see V/H/S 2, but I may catch Wither instead of I Spit On Your Grave 2 if I'm awake enough and decide not to have an early night, absolutely no plans to watch I Spit 2 anyway.
Painless looks very good from the trailer.
Snap looks very dark and messed up, very interested in seeing it, but it clashes with 2 of the probable main screen highlights in 100 Bloody Acres and Odd Thomas, so I'll check it out after the fest.
Stalled looks very funny from the trailer, I'm not missing Frankenstein's Army, but will try to give We Are What We Are a miss to see this.
Paranormal Diaries: Clophill looks interesting, like a feature length version of one of TV ghost hung programmes, but actually good, unlike shit like Ghost Adventures.
Cannon Fodder looks like a slightly generic zombie flick, but still looks lots of fun, another possible for me.

those are the ones that stand out for me, Antisocial looks a bit generic from the write up, The Demon's Rook looked poor and cheap from the trailer, Willow Creek looked like another of those generic "we all go for a jolly camp in the woods with our hand held cameras then scary things start happening" - no thanks, and Sadik 2 looked bad from the trailer.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Not sure if it's clear from the trailer, but Sadik 2 is supposed to be a comedy. Take from that what you will.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

Rewind This!
Atari
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Atari »

Rewind This is the film I defo want to catch on the discovery screen. There are others that look interesting to me, depends how much the lineup changes between now and august.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I've heard so much about The American Scream and I really want to see it. :)

Rewind This! sounds pretty neat too.
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

DJBenz wrote:I've heard so much about The American Scream and I really want to see it. :)

American Scream was a highlight of Glasgow this year and definitely worth checking out.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

I'm definitely planning to see "Stalled" and "Wither", as they look great and have good advance word.
Does mean I will be missing "Frankenstein's Army", but as that's on DVD by the end of September, I'll catch up with it then...

I was tempted by Bobcat's "Willow Creek", but the trailer is just a tad too close to "Blair Witch" for my liking...

There are others I would like to see, but they totally clash with personal "must-sees" on the main screen.
Damn that quality line-up....
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Though I have no love for Found Footage, I might check out the Clophill movie. But that's because Clophill village is about 8 miles from where I live.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Wolfshade wrote:... but I may catch Wither instead of I Spit On Your Grave 2 if I'm awake enough and decide not to have an early night, absolutely no plans to watch I Spit 2 anyway...
This.
AlessaDark
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by AlessaDark »

Malky wrote:
DJBenz wrote:I've heard so much about The American Scream and I really want to see it. :)

American Scream was a highlight of Glasgow this year and definitely worth checking out.
The American Scream is on US Netflix at the moment, it's a lovely documentary, fun & heartwarming.