Discovery Film Recommendations

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Discovery Film Recommendations

Post by FranksWildYears »

For Elisa, Painless, Wither and Rewind This are all definites for me - I was looking forward to Contracted but my opportunity to see it's been lost with the schedule changes, and I think I'll skip Snap in favour of the main screen as it's liable to turn up elsewhere and I doubt I'll be in the mood for it at that time of night (I skipped Maniac last year for the same reason and dozed through Wrong Turn 4 instead :D).

I'd recommend American Scream to anybody who didn't see it at Glasgow as it was a real delight and I thoroughly enjoyed every second.
StuartB
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by StuartB »

Hi there, sorry, am new to this and it will be my first time. I have a festival pass but was wondering how you go about securing tickets for discovery movies? There are main screen showings I'm not interested in and want to see films showing on other screens at the same time. I thought that having a pass would mean you automatically get access, just no reserved seat, but am reading about queuing for tickets and not guaranteeing seeing a film. I'm somewhat confused. Thanks.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

StuartB wrote:Hi there, sorry, am new to this and it will be my first time. I have a festival pass but was wondering how you go about securing tickets for discovery movies? There are main screen showings I'm not interested in and want to see films showing on other screens at the same time. I thought that having a pass would mean you automatically get access, just no reserved seat, but am reading about queuing for tickets and not guaranteeing seeing a film. I'm somewhat confused. Thanks.
On the morning of the day the Discovery film is being shown, you need to show your pass at the desk to get a free ticket for the screening of your choice. First come, first served, which is why there's often a queue. It's not unusual for films that come with a pre-festival buzz to allocate all the tickets, so seeing a Discovery film isn't guaranteed.
StuartB
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by StuartB »

Thanks DJ, much appreciated. I thought that might be the case but was holding out for someone to say there's a 'speedy boarding' queue for pass holders or you could book in advance. I shall bring a bale of towels to reserve my place.
AlessaDark
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by AlessaDark »

StuartB wrote:Thanks DJ, much appreciated. I thought that might be the case but was holding out for someone to say there's a 'speedy boarding' queue for pass holders or you could book in advance. I shall bring a bale of towels to reserve my place.
There are a certain number of Disco tickets allotted for pass holders (so you're not competing with non pass holders), and there have only been a handful of times (for films with huge buzz) these have run out, and most of those were before we had 2 Disco screens. It's also worth checking later in the day if you miss out first time, as sometimes people pick up tickets, then decide not to use them - I would always raise an alert on here if I handed any tickets back. Plus, now we even have a third screen, which will give the organisers greater flexibility, meaning if something sells out and gets good feedback, they could even put it on a third time...
StuartB
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by StuartB »

Thanks Alessa, I'm hoping that I'll be ok as the few I'm looking to miss are fairly big titles so there should be less demand. Although I did think for a moment that they were holding a disco too. I now have my fingers crossed for a decent guest lineup announcement later on and confirmation of the programme/brochure release.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I have always got to the queue for about 8.30-9.00am each morning if I wanted Discovery film tickets, assuming an opening time of 10am.

Ian and the rest are quite good at broadcasting if a film is likely to sell-out and/or ask for returns etc, if required
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

I must admit, I've been very lazy most years and plumped my ass down in the main-screen simply because I couldn't be bothered to get up early to queue for a disco film.
Bad behaviour really, but making sure I catch at least two this year.

I do remember in 2010, Alan Jones being most surprised that so many people had queued for "Burning Bright" and it had sold-out.
But I think that it was because it was opposite Tobe Hooper's "Eggshells" mostly... :green:
(BTW: Loved "Burning Bright". Perfect trashy fun. Wished that had got more attention...)
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

Wulfster wrote:But I think that it was because it was opposite Tobe Hooper's "Eggshells" mostly... :green:
(BTW: Loved "Burning Bright". Perfect trashy fun. Wished that had got more attention...)
Wish I'd been one of the people to go for Burning Bright that year (which I also eventually bought on DVD and agree that it was great fun). I'd been at the phoenix late the night before and had a raging hangover. Let me tell you something - watching Eggshells followed by Texas Chainsaw Massacre is 'a very, very bad idea' when you have a hangover.
Twitter: @ArghZombies
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

The Desert

Painless

Rewind This

Paranormal Diaries:Clophill

Wither looks cool but I think it clashes with something else I want to see :s
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
Critter Egg
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Critter Egg »

Does anyone know from previous years if its one discovery ticket per person or one per pass? ie can I give my fella my pass to pick up both our disco tickets some mornings or do we both need to queue up?

In previous years we've both queued up, but the passes say the tickets are available for collection from 9.30am each day this year - which I'm sure is earlier than before - and as all the late night films look good this year we'd each like a turn of a slight lay in / more time for a shower over the weekend!
"What's that you've got on your feet there?""Good Guy PJ Sneakers!"
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

To be fair one per pass would be reasonable...
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

I like the look of one or two discovery films, but it's THE GUEST i really wanna see. i just got to decide which film i want to que up for- Bring me the head of machine gun woman (it's on before that on saturday) and hansel and gretal (sunday). don't actually want to see the films, just the short.
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bounce08 »

What time should pass holders start queuing from on the day to have a very good chance of getting one? Is 9am early enough?! Really want to catch Antisocial and Painless back to back on the Friday. Im a day pass holder for then.

Only previously bought individual tickets beforehand which is why I ask and dont want to turn up too late to find theres 30 people in the queue...
sdaveak47
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by sdaveak47 »

So for the discovery screen is it queue up before 10:00 am for tickets or I've got no chance?

I was planning on watching Outpost (I know shoot me) and Clophill on the Friday & Wither Sunday night but I'm not massively keen in queueing up early again for something I've already paid for.

I was up for watching Stalled but already sold out twice