R.I.P.D

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

R.I.P.D

Post by Rob@Sky »

So who else was pleasantly surprised by this? A Men in Black / Beetlejuice mash-up to be sure, but I thought it had a breezy charm, nicely pitched lead performances and a running time that didn't outstay its welcome.

My girlfriend arched her eyebrows at my enthusiasm and thought it too gossamer thin to enjoy, but I kinda liked it.
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: R.I.P.D

Post by Stephen with ph »

It's a calculated, borderline cynical attempt to replicate the success of MiB - hell, it's practically a remake.

I suspect it's going to die on its arse - objectively, it's an uncomfortable blend of different elements that never quite works to anyone's satisfaction, like a bar of chilli chocolate.

And yet...

...despite all this, I still had a pretty good time. As a fellow 'Fester told me after "No one lives", there are some movies which are enhanced by the experience of viewing as part if a good-natured and receptive audience. Under different circumstances, I could easily have hated thus movie but, in the face of all reason, I had a 7/10 time.

And what's not to love in a movie where Jeff Bridges gets to say, with infinite sadness, "one of them coyotes made love to my skull!" :lol:
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

With all the hate that was poured onto this pre-festival I'm not suprised that people founf it better than expected. Basing anticipation for RIPD off reviews was always a bad idea, it's not the kind of film that is going to get glowing recommendations. But for a fun, FX-laden slab of eye candy, it was a highly enjoyable distraction. Would see it again, with my kids this time.

7/10
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

Had avoided reviews for that reason. Only knew the basic premise, but yeah, I think the goodwill of the audience contributed a large amount.

Although Jeff Bridges driving with his legs akimbo, one-handed, not looking at the road made me chuckle.
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Almost a carbon copy of Men in Black, with "Deaddos" instead of aliens. The film is significantly dumber than Men in Black though, and is much more on a par with Men in Black 2, which, like this, tried to copy the original to lesser effect. R.I.P.D. even steals the idea of having the secret exit be a toilet from M.I.B.2, which is just one of a trend of off-the-wall ideas which just don't work and aren't funny. Another one is the Deaddo's inexplicable allergy to Indian food: there's no reason for it, and it's never used to any comic effect, it's just a random idea that got thrown in at script stage and was never questioned. The whole structure of the film feels like it was written around a bland Hollywood cookie-cutter script template, and also the action sequences lack a lot of tension. There's a scene towards the end where the the sky is filled with CGI particle effects, a multi-storey car park is collapsing and Ryan Reynolds has to drive his car to dodge other falling cars. That scene looks like it must have cost about a million dollars, but it feels completely inconsequential. What saves this film from total ignominy are the performances and the fact that there are often some quite funny moments. Jeff Bridges and Mary Louise Parker do the best that they can with the limited material, and Ryan Reynolds and Kevin Bacon both acquit themselves well. Added to this is the fact that the film moves quickly and held my interest. It's just unfortunate that these positives are hugely outweighed by the negatives. 3/10
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Stephen with ph wrote: I suspect it's going to die on its arse - objectively, it's an uncomfortable blend of different elements that never quite works to anyone's satisfaction, like a bar of chilli chocolate.

I liked this film but not as much as I like chili chocolate,

Agree with your summary otherwise. Fun stuff, slightly haphazard assembly of the plot. Shut off brain and enjoy the three leads.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
adeyboy99
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by adeyboy99 »

I actually fell asleep halfway through this film and my friend didn't realise due to my 3d glasses hiding my eyes ! I only woke up when the audience gave a bit of an over the top round of applause at the end. Friend said that I didn't miss anything. Bit confused this was even on at FF tbh.
As others have mentioned, it was too similar to MIB to be interesting, but I'm sure the kids will love it.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Apparently had a budget of £130m, but the effects still looked extremely cheap and dated. Crappy MIB rip off that seemed to have been throw together in a very half arsed way with loads of unexplained moments and parts unneccesary to the plot. With modern summer movies now like The Avengers, it's not surprising something as unoriginal and dated as this has been a total bomb so far. Not sure that this will find an audience outside 10 year olds, and even they probably won't be able to see it as "shit" was said quite a few times and will probably take it up to a 12 or 15. Jeff Bridges and Kevin Bacon were fun to watch in this, but it was rubbish apart from that and really had no place at FF, no wonder those guys choice this film to have a wank in 3/10
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

MIB wannabee, but was still a laugh in places.

One of the usual couple we seem to get every ff where I ask myself why exactly are we seeing this at FF. Would put Hammer of the gods in that category as well.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Yes, it's Men In Black meets Ghost, but it's a lot of fun and I laughed numerous times. Not everything needs to be grim and bleak and nihilstic! Again, could have done without the unnecessary 3D conversion.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Out of the quadrilogy this is better the MIB 2 and 3.

I felt the hate in the discovery queue for this and Hammer of the Gods, its like people wished to make a point to watch anything other than these 2 films.

I found this film impossible to hate, even for another pointless 3D excursion, but it is possible my mood was still up from having watched Chuck Steel before it.

Nothing original or inventive, but what pop-corn was made for.