Conspiracy

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:01 pm
Location: Shepherds Bush

Re: Conspiracy

Post by BabyJaneHudson » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:22 am

morralex wrote:Babyjanehudson, you have an ideological problem, as you see it, with The Conspiracy but not The Dead 2 (I saw your comment on that film in other thread). And that is obviously the more politically problematic of the two. Similarly, not sure what you thought of it but Dark Touch was also problematic for similar reasons.

I don't think The Conspiracy was 'propaganda' in the sense that you mean in any way. I wouldn't say it was the opposite either, it just used a horror movie format to question both sides of the equation (although the filmmakers were set up as good guys, and tarsus as bad guys in my interpretation) and the ending was intentionally ambiguous. I think it is pretty shortsighted of you though to think that the film can be interpreted as 'NWO' propaganda.
I do not have an ideological problem in that I am free to think in the way that I choose to think as you are.

I didn't see Dark Touch unfortunately so I cannot comment.

Nothing was really explored.

I think its short-sighted of you to get personal with someone because they express a view you about a movie which you do not share.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!

User avatar
TheDukeAbides
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 pm
Location: North West of England
Contact:

Re: Conspiracy

Post by TheDukeAbides » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:19 am

When I first started watching this film I thought along the same line as BabyJane.

I did indeed think it was taking the piss out of people who believe, not necessarily in theories but the fact that all are connected.

I may be just enforcing sherbetbizarre's points, but this is probably why there were so many wanting to ask questions at the end.

It was flagged up half way through that these 'groups' have to admit they exist in a controlled and clear way and that is exactly what happened with this with the bald guy and the reveal that the woman was their PR person.

The whole point of the film and the film itself was manipulation.

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: Conspiracy

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:03 pm

BabyJaneHudson wrote:For the following people 9/11 is considered an inside job - anyone who has researched the evidence and listened to the opinions of scientists and experts world wide who have shown that it would be have been impossible for 9/11 to occur in the way that it did without previous knowledge and planning. The eye witnesses in New York including the emergency services who arrived at the scene to help the victims who saw the unusual way the buildings fell which could only have been the result of a controlled explosion. Anyone who joins the dots and saw the BBC footage announcing the second tower falling when it was still standing on live TV and isn't in denial. Anyone who is aware of the financial insider trading that went on the day before because certain people knew that this was going to happen and most importantly of all the families who lost relatives who were lied to and ignored and treated with contempt, they are also aware. People who question what they are told because many aspects of the story just do not fit at all. Some people have not made a decision on this one way or another as it doesn't interest them necessarily (which is most of my friends and thats cool I still luv 'em because not everyone is into the same things) and then there are those who would rather believe what they are told which is equally fine if thats what they want to do.
Yeah, I know all that, but why expect a fictional film to be 100% on your side..? It's entertainment at the end of the day.

Sure, they could have a more rational Believer as one of the interviewees for balance, I'll give you that.
The fact the film was made in the way that it was is clearly a propaganda tool to my eyes especially for people who are not aware of a lot of these issues - that is really who this film is aimed at. The fact that the guy comes on stage and continues to reinforce the negativity
I agree the director said something along the lines as a (high percentage) of conspiracies being iffy, but this was (to me) a personal observation, and not something which reflects propaganda on his part. I don't see the movie as a tool to put people off investigating things further... if he had fictionalized every conspiracy mentioned, then you may be onto to something. But why name real conspiracies which anyone can Google, when your mission is to do the opposite?
I was expressing a view that people like Alex Jones share because last time I looked it wasn't a crime to do so. If you have no idea why I want to do that - express my view - then what can I say. Attack me all you like, Im so used to this reaction from people like you Im totally numb to it.
I'm not attacking your views, but saying I think you are seeing something that is not there.

If I remember the film ends with the Conspiracy being real, and someone possibly dying over it - it may laugh at "conspiracy nuts" at the start, but the reality of the movie is that conspiracies exist and the NWO are real and dangerous.

If it ended with the film-makers being delusional paranoids then I would see your point.
This film does totally trash people who are awake or who are beginning to awaken or who question what they are told. If you don't see it with your own eyes then fair enough you don't see it. That doesn't mean that other people are not allowed to see something because you don't.

We can agree to disagree :D
Sure, just remember no-one is deliberately "attacking" or "getting personal" with you, but you have made some pretty bold statements - not least that director Christopher MacBride is OK with pedophiles :| - so playing the victim too soon isn't going to help you any.

thatcambridgebird
Walking Dead
Walking Dead
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 1:15 pm

Re: Conspiracy

Post by thatcambridgebird » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:52 pm

I think Sherbertbizarre said it much more eloquently than I could, but my only tuppenceworth is that I didn't get the child abuse/possible paedophilia angle at all. When we see the bit with the crying child, it's purely because the Club have:
Spoiler:
kidnapped Jim's family - and yes, are possibly being menacing towards them
However, I took this very much to be a 'throwaway' moment you'd expect in any film with a scenario like that - upset mother = crying child, etc etc, rather than some darker subtext about how there's something awful going on with toddlers behind closed doors.

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: Conspiracy

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:02 pm

It's entirely possible that child abuse is hinted at (although I missed it too) as it's alleged to occur at the inspiration behind the climax - Bohemian Grove.

But it's a leap to suggest the director used "subconscious brainwashing" over his audience, and that he personally finds such practice "acceptable".

BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:01 pm
Location: Shepherds Bush

Re: Conspiracy

Post by BabyJaneHudson » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:13 pm

:D
Sure, just remember no-one is deliberately "attacking" or "getting personal" with you, but you have made some pretty bold statements - not least that director Christopher MacBride is OK with pedophiles :| - so playing the victim too soon isn't going to help you any.
"Just remember...." ---> Who do you think you are?

Im not going to apologise for having an opinion. If you feel the statements are bold ... so what? Are bold statements banned now? You say no one is getting personal then you accuse me of 'playing the victim too soon' and how its "not going to help me any" - You've lost me - WTF are you on about :?:

You wouldn't have the front to say that to my face would you because you know how rude that is. My thoughts about MacBride are how I feel and if he wants to discuss it, he's more than welcome to have a chat with me about it.

I haven't disrespected or made any personal comments about you, but you don't seem to be able to stop yourself doing it to me. Just because Im calling you out on that fact, doesn't mean Im playing the victim, Im just telling you Im aware of it.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: Conspiracy

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:17 am

BabyJaneHudson wrote:Im not going to apologise for having an opinion. If you feel the statements are bold ... so what? Are bold statements banned now?
Not at all, the problem - as I see it - is you have taken offense at being asked to clarify them.

My first post is greeted with me "attacking" you.

Morrelex's post is greeted with him "getting personal".

You have very unique views - and a very unique take on this movie - so don't be taken aback if someone thinks you are possibly wrong about it... or you'll be in danger of being labeled, as McBride would say, "paranoid" :p

Again, thinking about this film, I feel it would inspire more people to check out conspiracy theories than put them off the subject completely. If it were propaganda, then why not mention the wackier sides of Alex Jones and David Icke? Or have a character resemble one of them for the audience to laugh at?

I think most people will just take it as entertainment anyway. A small minority may google some of the stories, but I think even less will be scared off - and if they were, it would be because they fear the big bad NWO would come after them, rather than face potential ridicule.
You wouldn't have the front to say that to my face would you because you know how rude that is.
I apologise if I came off as rude - this is genuinely the most interesting debate I've been involved in on this board, and I hope it continues :)

BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:01 pm
Location: Shepherds Bush

Re: Conspiracy

Post by BabyJaneHudson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:
BabyJaneHudson wrote:Im not going to apologise for having an opinion. If you feel the statements are bold ... so what? Are bold statements banned now?
Not at all, the problem - as I see it - is you have taken offense at being asked to clarify them.

My first post is greeted with me "attacking" you.

Morrelex's post is greeted with him "getting personal".

You have very unique views - and a very unique take on this movie - so don't be taken aback if someone thinks you are possibly wrong about it... or you'll be in danger of being labeled, as McBride would say, "paranoid" :p

Again, thinking about this film, I feel it would inspire more people to check out conspiracy theories than put them off the subject completely. If it were propaganda, then why not mention the wackier sides of Alex Jones and David Icke? Or have a character resemble one of them for the audience to laugh at?

I think most people will just take it as entertainment anyway. A small minority may google some of the stories, but I think even less will be scared off - and if they were, it would be because they fear the big bad NWO would come after them, rather than face potential ridicule.
You wouldn't have the front to say that to my face would you because you know how rude that is.
I apologise if I came off as rude - this is genuinely the most interesting debate I've been involved in on this board, and I hope it continues :)

OK lets clear this up.

I am not taking offense at discussing my feelings about a movie, thats the point of the forum surely - or at least one of its very useful and enjoyable functions.

Also I did not begin my post by accusing you of attacking me. If you re-read, that is not the case. I mention that later on due to your tone which feels like my 'unique' view point annoys you - which is fine. You should be free to express your feelings in a way that truly represents your opinion.

To say that Morrelex's view is greeted with me saying he is 'getting personal' is also not true. I mention that at the end, after he accuses me of being short-sighted because I have the nerve to see the film in the way that I do and not the way that he does. That would be like me saying you are short-sighted for disagreeing with me, which is questioning the way you perceive something, but like I mentioned before - an individuals perception of anything creative or artistic is subjective and therefore personal to them, not right or wrong or flawed.

I have not been 'taken-aback' by a few peoples reactions. I am a student Midwife and the blood, gore, pain and rainbow of hyper emotions I am exposed to doesn't 'take me aback' so trust me when I say that someone questioning my view point in an internet forum is nothing.

Not remotely paranoid, but just aware and very glad of it, particularly as far as medical matters are concerned which can be controlled through denial of say damaging and deadly vaccines, radiotherapy, chemotherapy mammography, statins and a myriad of pharmaceutical drugs etc. and which instills a high level of ethics when medical professionals who are awake deal with patients, giving them accurate truthful advice regarding their health and not what they are 'told' to tell people. Politics feels like an impossible mission to have any effect on, but the more people see through the lies and deception the more empowered people become.

You didn't need a character to poke fun at as the conspiracy guy was it, but only to a point. He isn't totally and unashamedly discredited as an over the top wacky character would be - that would be too obvious. He is given credit for saying things that are true and why not, globalists openly admit to all kinds of things which quite frankly are beyond belief, so there is no loss there in terms of giving any information away.

I think Alex Jones is great and has done a huge amount like many others like Mike Adams (Health Ranger), Max Keiser and Gerald Celente to give people vital insight and knowledge even though there are a couple of things I don't quite agree with that he has said which is fine. Some of the worlds leading experts in economics, finance, robotics and technology, medicine etc respect him greatly and regularly appear on Prison Planet TV. I was totally in the dark about so many things and it was my son who introduced me to this whole subject which has not only opened my eyes but made us able to be healthier physically and mentally (although you may disagree :) ) and even closer. My daughter on the other hand isn't too interested and who can blame her at 14 - I didn't want to think about things like this at that age either. I was too busy watching video nasties with my friends after school on VHS, with a box of KFC on my lap and fantasising about older boys in the 4th or 5th form.

In terms of the "big bad NWO coming after them" its already been here for ages, the British Royals are a huge part of it. Its no accident in my opinion that 70% of all the land in the UK is owned by 1 % of the population (Royals, aristocracy and a few large corporations).

There aren't 10 Big Brother CCTV cameras per every Londoner for no reason. Officially there are 8 or so million people in London, but I reckon its more like 10 taking into account the people they have no trace of who live here. Some even say 12 million, so that would make 80 to 120 million CCTV cameras in the capital alone.

The game be it financial, political, social or otherwise is seriously rigged, as is the 3rd World War we are about to embark on.

I love film and have been captivated since I was a child even though composition of music is my first love and always will be. I can easily appreciate something on an entertainment level and when I detect any bull its acknowledged, compartmentalised and then I continue to watch and enjoy (if there is anything to enjoy). Its like listening to music when you have advanced musical knowledge - you need to know how to effortlessly switch off that part of the brain that wants to analyse the structure and components of the music and let what you are absorbing flow over you.

Anyway apology accepted :)
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: Conspiracy

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Cheers.

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with your lifestyle choices, but more your take on the films intent (ie "brainwashing propaganda")

Obviously I'm not "aware" as you say, but these subjects do fascinate me, and it's what drew me to this film in the first place. And many "conspiracies" I would, to an extent, agree with.

I can understanding you thinking "oh, here we go again" when the film opens with them following the cliche "conspiracy nut", and maybe I'm getting a sense of why you were offended by the film as a whole, but I truly believe MacBride only had commercial entertainment as his goal.

Maybe he's pee'd off the Infowars community, but had MacBride portrayed a bunch of people who are "aware", and gave them screentime into their beliefs, then he would have done so at the expense of dramatic storytelling (and be accused of propaganda of another kind)

So does the movie reinforce idea of "the conspiracy nutjob"? Maybe. But I don't think it set out to do that. I think the average viewer will just take it as entertainment, their views unchanged one way or the other... but hey, maybe I've already been subliminal brainwashed by it ;)

User avatar
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 am
Contact:

Re: Conspiracy

Post by morralex » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:32 am

Likewise, didn't want to come off sounding rude. Agree to disagree I s'pose.
@necrobaker

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: Conspiracy

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:37 pm


User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: Conspiracy

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:33 pm

Fangoria interview:

http://www.fangoria.com/new/qa-the-cons ... -macbride/
FANG: Is THE CONSPIRACY at all intended as a cautionary tale?

MacBRIDE: I could see how people might perhaps perceive it that way, but that wasn’t really my intention. When you’re a storyteller, particularly when you’re telling scary stories, you dream up worst-case scenarios for your characters—so when I was writing about conspiracy theorists, I thought to myself, “What is the absolute scariest thing that could happen to these people?” And in my mind, that was basically the characters digging a little too deep into a certain conspiracy. They click on one link too many on the web, and then suddenly the conspiracy they are investigating starts coming after them.
...is essentially what I've been saying.

But hey - looks like Babyjane isn't alone! --
FANG: Has there been any reaction from the conspiracy-theory community?

MacBRIDE: Yes—a lot! I’ve been really pleasantly surprised by how the majority of the conspiracy community has sort of embraced the film. I believe that’s because I treat the theorists and their views with respect. There’s a lot of craziness in that world, but also a lot of intelligent people, and I think I’ve kept a fair balance where I don’t discount or disrespect anyone’s views. There have been a few nutjobs, though. I’ve had some conspiracy theorists accuse me of being a CIA agent planting “disinformation.” I’ve also had some people commenting on how “the Hollywood machine” is trying to discredit their views. If only those guys knew how far a small-budget Canadian indie is from Hollywood!

User avatar
TheDukeAbides
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 pm
Location: North West of England
Contact:

Re: Conspiracy

Post by TheDukeAbides » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:53 pm


User avatar
DJBenz
-----
-----
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Conspiracy

Post by DJBenz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:20 pm

TheDukeAbides wrote:Follow on twitter: https://twitter.com/TheTarsusClub
Bit of a one-trick pony that account. All it does is tweet asking people to remove their references to The Tarsus Club. (Queue new user 'Tarsus' asking us to remove this thread. :lol: )

Post Reply