FrightFest 2014

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

FrightFest 2014

Post by iomega »

August seems an age away, but one thing is sure, August and FrightFest 2014 will come thundering round the bend quicker than we think. When I saw that Dan had added this thread, thanks by the way Dan for all the work you do maintaining this forum, I thought I would use the opportunity to update you with a few things about FrightFest 2014.

The dates for 2014 are the 21st to the 25th of August. We are going to be at the Empire in four of the cinemas nine auditoriums. Expect to see north of 50 films in this year’s line-up. Film and guest wise, we are in great shape, with Paul and Alan in Berlin as I type this securing more. Day and festival passes will go on sale this year on 28 June. Prices have still to be confirmed, but we aim to keep them as far as possible at 2013s levels.

It's going to be different. The refurbishment at the Empire is looking good and almost done. We will keep you in informed of developments, but as Alan said in his Postcards from Berlin, we aim to deliver a stellar programme that will make any changes feel seamless.

Let us know what you think.

Ian.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: FrightFest 2014

Post by DJBenz »

Well it's fairly obvious the vibe will probably be different this year, with the festival taking place across four screens, but as Screen One no longer exists in its previous form then there's really no point in getting bent out of shape about it. Hard to predict how things will go, but the Frightfest team has a pretty stellar record of putting on the UK's top genre festival for almost a decade and a half so we're in good hands.

Will look forward to it as always. Roll on August. :)
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

As ever I can't wait to see what films are in the line-up.

last year we had a total of 50 titles shown. At one point four films were playing, that's never happened before.

But now we have a slightly different shape to the festival, it'll still be my number 1 festival.

Always keen to know more.

Guess I'll be in London 27/28 June.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

Let's face it, FrightFest 2014 is going to be phenomenal- as ever- but just in a slightly different way. This is just like the first 2005 move from the PCC. And hearing the new festival programme will be spread out over 4 screens, it preemptively feels like it may have more of an actual festival atmosphere, or a themepark- opening up the audience to a real choice of attractions. Moreso than ever before, *we* get to choose our festival lineup- and in that spirit I pose that good old question on a new thread...
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

As excited as ever.

I don't suppose its known which Screens FF2014 will occupy yet is it?
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

I would bargain on the new 700 seat IMAX [Screen 1], the residual 300 seat regular screen [the new Screen 2] and screens 7&8 which are regularly used for Discovery Screens; however they could also use the Downstairs screen 3 as per Willow Creek's encore last year.
What's anyones guess is if at any one time there will be 4 films showing and if each of those films will be different- or matched (AKA both Screen 1 & 2 plays X simultaneously to accomodate for the crowd size of the old screen 1. Excitement.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
theboxmanking
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by theboxmanking »

I don't really mind the change in format given the enforced logistical changes forced up the original format. It would be good to ensure the schedule is done very carefully to allow folks to see as many films as possible regardless of the screen it is in. The guys know which are the slam dunk good flicks and the "acquired taste" films so lets try and make sure they all get a good chance of being seen. I am very confident it will be sorted though, It's not like they are novices, after all. They know their stuff. If there is a way people can avoid having to queue up at the crack of dawn just to get a discovery screen ticket after getting in at 2am, that would be amazing! Oh, and if they can find a cure for not involuntarily falling asleep, regardless of the film, between 3pm and 4pm, that would be the holy grail. I hate that, and I seem to be powerless to stop it. :evil:
staineve
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by staineve »

I'm interested in how ticketing will work; will fewer tickets be available initally given the smaller capacity of IMAX Screen 1? Or will it be the same number of tickets spread out over the two new screens and (I'd assume) showing the same films? If this is the case will there be price differences? Or will we now be buying Festival Passes without any specified seating? :eek:
twitter: @staineve
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Wait and see
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
staineve
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by staineve »

The suspense.
twitter: @staineve
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

We are working hard on a plan and will be able to share it with you quite soon, but be prepared for a very different FrightFest 2014. We see this as a great opportunity to shake things up a little for the better. Let's hear what you would change if you had the chance.

Ian
kickasschewgum
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by kickasschewgum »

A bunch of us who have attended Frightfest for several years have been discussing what changes might come about as a result of the demise of screen 1. The one thing we all agree on is that it would be a tragedy to get rid of the 'buy a seat for the whole festival' concept. In fact it could very well be a deal breaker for most of us if that were to change. The expansion into the Discovery and Rediscovery screens has been a nice opportunity to pick alternatives to films you might not want to see from the main screen line-up but, in general, most like to stick to the main program to get the true Frightfest experience.

Not only would abandoning the existing format destroy the unique neighbourly camaraderie of the festival but if, like other festivals, it resulted in having to queue for every film you wanted to see, it would completely ruin the relaxed atmosphere that makes the festival so great, not to mention depriving everyone of the much needed sleep between days. It would also mean that many would miss out on films they wanted to see, which seems very out of line with the nature of the event. Also it would mean that you wouldn't likely discover many of the gems that you otherwise wouldn't have bothered with were they not part of the main program.

Perhaps the main screen could be for weekend pass holders only and day passes and individual tickets could be in a different screen.

Whatever the solution, please don't veer away from the previous format more than is needed. It's what has made Frightfest unique. There is a reason, after all, that your rabid fan base is willing to queue overnight just to get tickets. Me being one of them.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

Thanks. Your feedback is appreciated. Please keep it coming.

At this stage we can't confirm anything until we actually know what we have. The cinema isn't finished. The one thing that I will say, and I will keep banging on about it, is FrightFest 2014 will be different. We are well aware of what makes FrightFest unique. We attend many similar events around the world. We know how others do it and what works and what doesn't cause we have seen it from the consumers point of view. We have spent 15 years building the festival into the beast that it is and we are not going to throw it all the way. You can trust us on this one.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm going to say it again, FrightFest 2014 will be different.

Ian.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I know I need a better class of drugs if I'm going to attempt the Sleepy Queue again this year.

I'd also try and change the sense of loss and slight depression I get on the Tuesday after its all over.
kickasschewgum
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by kickasschewgum »

Thanks Ian. Please don't get me wrong. I have complete faith in you guys to come up with something awesome.

Different can also be better, after all.

I was just highlighting the things that I know people have appreciated in the past and things that might not be such great ideas for the future (from my point of view anyway). But, as you rightly point out, you've attended enough other festivals to know what does and doesn't work.

Just please, please don't make us queue for tickets each day. :)