We are taking questions about FrightFest 2014

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: We are taking questions about FrightFest 2014

Post by AndyJWS »

Will Sleepy Queue be 1 person, 1 ticket (or a different but limited maximum)?

More importantly, is 5,6,7 the floor with that lovely bar area? :)
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

DJBenz wrote:
iomega wrote:Will there be security checks upon entry to the screens like at the Halloween 2013 event?

Thank you for reminding me of this. I'd forgotten about it and how it pissed people off. I'll bring this up at our next meeting and get an answer for you. I agree with you while I understand the need for some security, checking bags etc all of the time apart from getting tiresome will cause flow problems.
This is an interesting one. There's never been any security checks at the Empire as far as I'm aware (nor any trouble), so other than individual venue policy is there anything that really necessitates security checking festival goers at any point?
Heaven forbid Vue should lose money on the confectionery stall.

Vue need to be reassured that whereas some (me included) will bring in their own food and drinks (oh heavens, water), there will be increased foot-fall which will still facilitate a profit at the bar and sweets and ice-creams and popcorn and bollock-&-bone-in-a-bun counters.

Actually is there alcohol and is it allowed in all the screens?
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

We have no limit on tickets. If someone comes in and asks for 20, then we will look at it, but never been a problem.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

Vue will be offering deals similar to the Empire. I will talk this trough with them. Booze is allowed in the cinema, but in plastic glasses and bottles
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

I'm fairly sure alcohol is allowed in the screenings as I distinctly remember Pascal Laugier chugging a red wine during his Q&A for THE TALL MAN. If it's good enough for the ingenue behind MARTYRS, it's good enough for me
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

That's it from me for tonight. Thanks for joining in. If you have any more questions please leave them here and I will answer them as and when posted. This is going to be a really good year. Our films and guests are stacking up in fine style and we are off to Cannes next week to trawl the film market for the last few gems.

This year is going to the same, but it's going to be different.

Looking forward to August

On behalf of Team Frightfest

Ian.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

All these questions are extremely valid and very well thought of, but the TWO most important questions have YET to be asked?

1. Where are we going for PRE-opening night drinks?

and

2. Is the PHOENIX going to be on board a lot earlier than last year when it got a bit 'all Pete Tong' and the closing night was a mad house.

I would ask questions about the festival but i know the boys always pull it out the bag and it pretty much goes to plan. And besides, i want to make sure i get my drink on BEFORE and AFTER the festival. ;) :D

Reply -

Here's a thought. As it is been confirmed that Phoenix is our official late night drinking location for the Festival and the official closing night bash through to breakfast on Tuesday morning nice and early, perhaps the Pre-Opening Night Drinks can be there. It is the same distance from the cinema as the Captains cabin was, which BTW in now a building site. Just a thought.

Ian
GrimEffigy
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by GrimEffigy »

In terms of ticketing, will the Discovery Screens work the same as previous years for pass holders (a limited number of tickets per film to be distributed each day) or is there allocated seating for those too?
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Thanks to Ian & Co for all the answers (and questions) which seemed to resolve most of my queries.

Probably won't be at the sleepy queue this year, which will be the first time I've not attended that since 2005 ... *sniff* :(
So after all the horror stories about the Vue booking line (and the slightly reduced pass numbers), I hope to be straight in there at the appointed hour, and I'll still bag a weekend pass ... even if it isn't my favourite near-the-front-aisle-seat positioning. Somebody please pat my head and assure me that I will get a pass as long as I'm prompt on the release day ... :s

I know it's stupid, and it won't affect me, but I'm totally intrigued as to which way the sleepy queue will snake outside the Vue. Past the Haagen Daz and the Prince Charles, or the side-alley into Chinatown? It's the little details...

Barring all that, looking forward to the chaotic treats in store ... :D
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I've split off the Sleepy Queue discussion into a new thread here: http://www.frightfest.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =61&t=6652

As this is an emotive issue that gets debated every year with no resolution I think it's going to veer this thread off topic, so if we could keep the SQ debate over in the other thread that would be super. :)
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Any chance of cheap car-parking again this year?

I know it used to be an Empire offer - so does this mean we've lost it?

:s
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

iomega wrote:Technically that queue jumping. We will have to see about that. But that nice of you to bring her breakfast. I'll have a bacon roll please.
I've taken food orders in the morning before, not just for her but for other Frightfesters. She already HAS the money for both tickets, I join her in the morning, I'd rather she didn't spend the whole time standing, she has a break when I show up.
If we're looking at 'queue jumping' someone should talk to Scotty, he lets 'those who deserve ticket in first' which is ridiculous, I've attended longer than he has, yet he had the gall to tell me last year he was security for the festival and helped, and as he didn't know who I was I couldn't question him letting a lot of people in front of him.

Reply -

I've been giving this thorny problem a great deal of thought in the last day or so and we will work a better system out, but it is my intention to publish a Sleepy Queue etiquette so at least people know what is acceptable and what is not. Perhaps you can help me on this. I will start a thread which I would hope FrightFesters will contribute to.

Ian.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

Sorry, no cheap parking this year. Parking place belonged to the same company that owned Empire.
Garbord
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Garbord »

Hi,

I just wondered how it'll work if there's a Total Icon or Variety Award this year? Will pass holders be temporarily allowed into the one screen?

Its definitely a shame only a third of the qna's will be available in person this year, though its totally understood that there is the need to adapt to the cinemas downsizing their screens.

That said, whatever form it takes, I still cant wait!

Reply-

There will be no Total Icon this year, but the Variety Award will continue. We are giving a great deal of thought as how to run the award and sit down interview across three screens at the moment. Once we have cracked it we will let you know.

Ian
benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj »

There will be no Total Icon this year, but the Variety Award will continue. We are giving a great deal of thought as how to run the award and sit down interview across three screens at the moment. Once we have cracked it we will let you know.

Ian
Shame you couldn't hold the interview outside in LS itself (I'm reminded of the time Alan interviewed Alan Ford and Michelle Ryan there). I'm sure we'd all appreciate a break from sitting in a dark cinema on a doubtless sunny day plus it'd be great publicity for the festival itself.

Probably a bugger to arrange with the council and all but thought I'd suggest it anyway...