Sleepy Queue 2014 Discussion (Split from Q&A Thread)

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Sleepy Queue 2014 Discussion (Split from Q&A Thread)

Post by Bearded Avenger »

If there was a one ticket per person policy queue jumping would an issue. As it is I can queue from 6 and buy 3 tickets, so it does not matter whether my mates don't turn up or join me later. The first year I joined the sleepy queue well ahead of my mates or dutifully queud further back..Once I got tonthe front of the queue I discovered that I could get all the tickets in one go and in neighbouring seats... so did.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: We are taking questions about FrightFest 2014

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Bearded Avenger wrote:If there was a one ticket per person policy queue jumping would an issue. As it is I can queue from 6 and buy 3 tickets, so it does not matter whether my mates don't turn up or join me later. The first year I joined the sleepy queue well ahead of my mates or dutifully queud further back..Once I got tonthe front of the queue I discovered that I could get all the tickets in one go and in neighbouring seats... so did.
There's a big difference between pre-planned group buying and stragglers taking the piss that some people fail to realise. Especially this year as its split over three screens, people are definitely going to want to be in the same screen as their mates they usually sit with.

If turning up later to join your girlfriend is now "pushing in", then I guess she'll have to buy two tickets while the bf stands on the sidelines with a whole bunch of other people, making the prospect of the queue less enjoyable.

If the queue is going to be "policed" then why not hand out numbered cards with the total party amount on. For instance if I know I'm joining 3 mates on the day and I get there first, then my card says 4 and someone can check our party doesn't go over that number and take the piss.

If not, then I can get a'll the money up front, stand alone, and buy four tickets.

Either way four tickets are being purchased, and it doesn't delay the queue one bit if there are four or one of us in the queue.

But I guess some people have a hang-up of seeing other people "pushing in".
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: Sleepy Queue 2014 Discussion

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Ah, this discussion again. I'd like to say from the start that any question I ask is an honest question that isn't met to rile.

Basically if I'm behind someone and they tell me some mates will join them later as they've always been sitting together for years, I have no problem with that.

It's the group further away that swells that I've not talked to that I don't know what the situation is.

It all boils down to communication and the queue policing itself.

I would still prefer some kind of roped off area when we go in to get our tickets.

People sit in a big circle when waiting over the night, but we'll file in in mostly single-file or by two.

I like the card idea, if that was an honest suggestion.

But I'm wondering about a cut-off time for joining the queue ahead of others.

I mean joining the queue at from say 6am seems all rather pointless. The closer to the ticket sales time, the more people's noses will be put out of joint with anyone 'pushing in' ahead.

Not that we can actually stop anyone doing this.

It isn't as bad as the queue for Discovery tickets, some really do take the piss.

It is up to everyone to query every entry into the queue for the sake of all those behind them.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Sleepy Queue 2014 Discussion

Post by sherbetbizarre »

TheDukeAbides wrote:I like the card idea, if that was an honest suggestion.
It was, yes. At least a week before the queue I'd know how many are in my group, and I would stick to that number. Basically I'm saying there's a difference between pre-planning something we do every year, and someone turning up and queue jumping on the day.
But I'm wondering about a cut-off time for joining the queue ahead of others.
That's a good idea, although I'd say 6am is a little early as some people traveling outside of the South East simply wouldn't get there before that time.
It isn't as bad as the queue for Discovery tickets, some really do take the piss.
Maybe that queue should be more strict, with people accepting they may have to sit alone for the odd movie.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Sleepy Queue 2014 Discussion (Split from Q&A Thread)

Post by Bearded Avenger »

In terms of the Discovery queue where it's one ticket per person, then pushing in is a very different matter.

In terms of the other comments above - what is the difference between get tickets for a group and stragglers, if we're talking about people sitting next to each other? One reason why my friends and I do it, is because the earliest train to London for one person arrives at 10ish.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

LoL at the idea of anything making this colossal waste of time, money and effort less enjoyable...
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Bearded Avenger wrote:In terms of the other comments above - what is the difference between get tickets for a group and stragglers, if we're talking about people sitting next to each other?
I guess it's whether you want to turn up and enjoy the sleepy queue experience.

If all types of "pushing in" are outlawed, then fine, I'll forward my money to one person and stay at home.
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

I have been going since The PCC days. Over the last few years my job has changed so I can't get to the queue as early as I used to. My girlfriend goes I join her when I can (with food)

She already HAS the money for both tickets, I join her in the morning, I'd rather she didn't spend the whole time standing, she has a break when I show up, off to the loo, etc.But I don't see that as queue jumping - she has the cash I just turn up later. a lot of people do that so they can sit with their friends.

If we're looking at 'queue jumping' someone should talk to Scotty, he lets 'those who deserve tickets in first' which is ridiculous, I've attended longer than he has, yet he had the gall to tell me last year he was security for the festival and part of the team (we know thats not true), and as he didn't know who I was I couldn't question him letting a lot of people in front of him.
TheUsualSuspect
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by TheUsualSuspect »

This is something that really does my head in, the fact that someone keeps moaning about the Sleepy Q. Queuing up is never fun and less so if people are forcing rules and policing on you.
It does not matter if people come in later or not and join in with their mates, the fact is, i always buy 7 tickets and the only person on the Q during the night is me and the girlfriend. So if we buy those tickets anyway, what’s the big deal with our mates joining in later in the day? It’s not pushing in at all; it is simply showing up for company and support.
The moaning of people smoking on the Q is totally ridiculous. Frightfest has no control over the Q and should refrain from intervention, remember that it is the public highway and therefore anyone is free to do whatever they like as long it is legal.
Now, regarding the map that was posted about the Sleepy Q direction could the person that posted that chill out, please.
It is a Q to get tickets, not a NASA project, stop overthinking and moaning when there is nothing to moan about. RELAX people.
Now, here is what people should really worry about:
Every year the sleepy Q is always hit by a bunch of tramps and random dudes, which can be fun at times,(but mostly not), what is not fun is the guy that keeps counting people on the Q and pretending that he is the Lord Guardian of the Secrets of the Fightfest Sleepy Q.
You know the guy keeps introducing himself to the Q virgins as someone that knows everyone and everything about the festival, the one that keeps going up and down pointing fingers and counting loud, you know the one....
Let’s all just relax, come in at whatever time you will, bring cookies and a good friendly attitude and please stop pretending that you are a victim of the sleepy Q snatchers.
Frightfest management shouldn’t and legally can't get too involved in policing people. They can suggest a code of conduct but i think that it is not required at all; this is only a bunch of less cool dudes causing a storm in a tea cup. Just be sensible, respect your neighbour and good luck.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Are we naming names about the beardy guy - he has been mentioned before.

In essence it appears at least everyone can moan about some aspect of the queue and then do nothing about it. How terribly British.

I would say that I do think which way the queue forms is important, from a safety aspect and, as so graciously pointed out, because we are on a public highway.

At least if the queue direction is sorted out prior then it will save a lot of butt-hurt should any self-appointed leader try to organise it on the day/night.
TheUsualSuspect
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by TheUsualSuspect »

TheDukeAbides wrote:Are we naming names about the beardy guy - he has been mentioned before.

In essence it appears at least everyone can moan about some aspect of the queue and then do nothing about it. How terribly British.

I would say that I do think which way the queue forms is important, from a safety aspect and, as so graciously pointed out, because we are on a public highway.

At least if the queue direction is sorted out prior then it will save a lot of butt-hurt should any self-appointed leader try to organise it on the day/night.
Yes the Lord Guardian of the Secrets of the Fightfest Sleepy Q is the self appointed "Security" and part of the team (NOT) and the chooser of deserving front Q is indeed Scotty.

It is embarrassing, but hey he seems to have fun doing it
bernal316
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bernal316 »

Why don't we just do away with the sleepy Queue altogether. This will be a new venue and it will give the fright festers that don't live in and around London the same opportunities as every one else to get prime/optimum seats. Ive been going for 10 years now and I'm no less of a fan than any of the sleepy queue members i just simply logistically can't get to London to queue up all night.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

bernal316 wrote:Why don't we just do away with the sleepy Queue altogether. This will be a new venue and it will give the fright festers that don't live in and around London the same opportunities as every one else to get prime/optimum seats. Ive been going for 10 years now and I'm no less of a fan than any of the sleepy queue members i just simply logistically can't get to London to queue up all night.
yeah would be good if this was just all on-line/over the phone at a specific time. i never really enjoy standing in a queue for hours and hours.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

bernal316 wrote:Why don't we just do away with the sleepy Queue altogether. This will be a new venue and it will give the fright festers that don't live in and around London the same opportunities as every one else to get prime/optimum seats. Ive been going for 10 years now and I'm no less of a fan than any of the sleepy queue members i just simply logistically can't get to London to queue up all night.
Just added to the site today: http://www.frightfest.co.uk/newsletters ... fest1.html
Tickets for 2014's event go on sale on 28 June, 2014. They will be available exclusively for a two-hour period from 10 AM to members of the world-famous Sleeply Queue that forms outside the cinema each year. FrightFesters who are unable to make it in person will be able to get their tickets from noon both online and by telephone. We will be publishing full details on how to do this as we get nearer to tickets going on sale.
I guess there will be a lot more discussion before the date...
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

DJBenz wrote:Just added to the site today: http://www.frightfest.co.uk/newsletters ... fest1.html
Tickets for 2014's event go on sale on 28 June, 2014. They will be available exclusively for a two-hour period from 10 AM to members of the world-famous Sleeply Queue that forms outside the cinema each year. FrightFesters who are unable to make it in person will be able to get their tickets from noon both online and by telephone. We will be publishing full details on how to do this as we get nearer to tickets going on sale.
I guess there will be a lot more discussion before the date...
Could be taken either way maybe - the other way being that the box office allows Sleepy Queue sales from 10am, then with telephone/internet from 12 onwards (so the same as previous years, I guess?) :)

Clarification - Ticket sales will be along the lines of past years. This works for FrightFesters who want to join the queue and those who are happy to wait and buy online or over the telephone. We see no reason to change this.

All the final sentence means is that details of how to get your tickets online or over the phone will be published nearer the 28th June. Vue will be giving us a dedicated team to assist on the day, so details are still being finalised.

Ian
Last edited by AndyJWS on Tue May 06, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."