How Film4 FrightFest will work in 2014

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

How Film4 FrightFest will work in 2014

Post by iomega »

The move away from the Empire has required us to rethink how FrightFest will work in 2014. The issue was how to apply this to an event previously built round one large cinema, not losing what made the festival so unique, while adapting it too and taking advantage of the new location. To be frank much hair was pulled out and candles burnt late into the night as we edged towards a solution.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the FILM4 FrightFest in 2014 is located at the nine screen VUE West End Cinema, Leicester Square, London.  We will be using five of the cinemas nine screens.  They will be 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8.  5, 6, and 7 will be our Main Screens. Think big Empire cinema from previous years.  3 and 8 will be our Discovery auditoriums.

Initially, our thinking was that we would play the films that we would have been running in the big Empire over screens 5, 6 and 7 all at the same time.  However, the more we thought about it the more we began to realise that that wouldn't work. There were many reasons, but the main one was we felt we'd be shortchanging you, our audience, the people who turn up year after year allowing us to stage the event.  Where would we host our guests and surprises etc? These can only be in one screen at the one time.  We could always have a camera in any screen so that people in the other cinemas could see what was going on, but that didn't sit right with us.

Before I get down to the real detail, there are a couple of things to explain.  The three main screens this year are sponsored, so will be referred to by name rather than number.  Also, because of the way that the VUE West End is laid out, the screens will start in a certain order.  Screen 6, The Arrow Video Screen will generally always start first, followed by 5, The Film 4 Screen which is followed in turn by 7, The Horror Channel Screen.  This is to aid the flow of bodies around the cinema and to help avoid congestion.

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get down to the real detail of what you all want to know. It may seam a bit complicated at first, but stick with it.

Other than Thursday’s festival opener, The Guest, that will play over the three main screens at the same time, films will screen on a rotating schedule.

Each day will have six movies scheduled to screen and they will be separated into two groups of three.  One group will play before the late afternoon break and the final group in the evening.

For example, film A will start in the Arrow Video Screen at 10:30 am followed by film B in the Film4 Screen at 10.45 am.  Film C will get under way in the Horror Channel Screen at 11.00 am.  The process will repeat at 12:45 pm. This time with film C in the Arrow Screen, film A in the Film 4 and film B in the Horror Channel screens starting at 15 minute intervals.  Finally, the process will repeat for a third time at 3:15 pm with film B in the Arrow Screen, film C in the Film 4 Cinema and film A in the Horror Channel screen. Again the films will be starting at 15 minute intervals. The whole process will be repeated again in the evening with three new films along similar lines.

I want to stress that EVERYONE will see all of the films, surprises and guests. The way that films are scheduled a director, producer or star will follow the film. It means that they will have to do their introductions, Q&A sessions three times, but this is the way it works at other festivals. If you just want to sit in your seat in the main screen of your choice, all the Main Screen films will come your way with guests over the weekend. It’s going to be different. There is no other way round this. We may not get it 100% right this year, but goodness we’ve given it a good go.

The Discovery screens will operate from Friday 22nd, with much increased capacities, and be timed as normal. If you choose to see a Discovery Screen film, only one Main Screen film will be missed.  How the ticketing will work for the Discovery Screens this year I will get to later, but we have devised a system which will do away with the early morning queuing of previous years. Discovery screen films this year will only screen once.

Ian.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: How Film4 FrightFest will work in 2014

Post by DJBenz »

Congrats, I think you've come up with a proposal that will work and keep the majority happy.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

Wow... they'll definitely be a pint/ drink of choice for all five of you at the phoenix this year at some point. :)

You boys really do pull out all the stops for the good of Frightfest and its followers.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Sound logic, especially with the sponsoring rather than numbering of the main screens.

Now just have to hope we don't have over zealous door staff causing queuing chaos with unnecessary bag checks.
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

Absolutely fantastic. Congratulations Ian, this is really really wonderful plan.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
Eddie Krueger
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Eddie Krueger »

Sounds like a lot of thought has gone into how to make the enforced changes work. I doubt there's a perfect solution, but this should be the best way forward. Can't wait to see how it all pans out.

Now, off to sort some childcare for 5 days in August... :D
Love Machine
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Love Machine »

Seems a very sensible way of doing things...pretty much what I was expecting.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

This all seems clear to me. Thought this was how it'll work to cover the three main screens and two smaller screens. Everyone should be happy with this layout. Now I'm more keen than ever to know what is playing.

There is going to be plenty to talk about come 2pm this Friday....48hrs to go.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Sounds like a plan to me. Didn't really fancy watching half the Q+A's on a video link anyway so this is infinitely more preferable. Sure, we'll get to hear some people's views of films before we've got to see them ourselves but this could well add to the overall sense of anticipation (going to have to cover my ears if I start picking up on any spoilers though... let's just hope there's no Sixth Sense type movies this year. The last thing you'd want to hear as you walk into the foyer is someone from another screen saying "I knew he was dead all along" !). And yes, there's bound to be some hiccups along the way. But I can't see any better way of doing things so I think you guys have really done us proud with this set-up. Just got to decide which screen to go for now!
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

Out of interest & clarification (it helped me atleast) this is how the lineup could look, using last years Friday mainscreen offerings as a template.
photo.JPG
Hope it helps
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Does this mean we will have four films playing on the Thursday?

Arrow Video Screen Film4 Screen Horror Channel Screen
The Guest..............The Guest.......The Guest
Film A...................Film B............Film C
Film B...................Film C............Film A
Film C...................Film A............Film B

What time do we start on the Thursday?
Last edited by zappa fan on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
pauluspink
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by pauluspink »

zappa fan wrote:Does this mean we will have four films playing on the Thursday?

Arrow Video Screen Film4 Screen Horror Channel Screen
The Guest The Guest The Guest
Film A Film B Film C
Film B Film C Film A
Film C film A Film B

Watch time would it start on the Thursday?

This is what I was thinking too.

I think the general plan is the best outcome we can get with using multiple main screens.

I am going to miss those crazy midnight gory popcorn movies..
I do Special Make-Up Effects & Prosthetics (SFX): Graphic Delusions: Facebook Page
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bounce08 »

I have to admit I wasn't looking forward to major changes but have to say that team FrightFest have certainly found an interesting solution that should work well, the staggered starts to allow cast/crew to attend each intro is a good idea.

I feel sorry for the FrightFest boys though as this mean 3 times the work introducing guests!!

Can't wait, especially as The Guest is the opening film which I can't wait to see.
DeanoG
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by DeanoG »

Sounds cool, thanks for all the hard work in organizing this beast.

Wonder if some kind of friendly rivalry will occur, I am thinking The Quiz from Hell, with the screens competing as seperate teams.

...Although that would probably be very difficult to make work.

Fun idea tho.
Atari
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Atari »

This all sounds great. My only question is some films have always felt like good midnight movies. Will one of the screens have this in mind with its schedule?