Lineup announced - discussion/thoughts

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Lineup announced - discussion/thoughts

Post by morralex »

Yeah I'm fine with Sin City 2. Well up for it. Line up change is a little annoying cos now I have to chose between housebound and the canal but whatevs. Also get to watch VHS viral now so it's all peaches.
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

It totally is all peaches! Thanks for not moaning dude. Totally down for SIN CITY. However would not want to make the call on CANAL V. HOUSEBOUND. I've a similar dilemma.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bounce08 »

Hmm seeing as I'm not looking likely to get festival or day passes I'm going to buy individual tickets and have chosen..

Thurs
The Guest

Friday
Preservation (or R100?)
The Green Inferno
The Forgotten (or Exists?)
The Den

Sunday
Open Windows
Faults

Monday
Deadly Virtues
Alleluia
Truth or Dare
VHS:Viral

I don't know whether to choose R100 or Preservation though. :?:
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

bounce08 wrote: I don't know whether to choose R100 or Preservation though. :?:
Preservation is on at 1pm in Discovery 1 and R100 is at 3.30pm in Discovery 2. They don't clash?
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bounce08 »

FranksWildYears wrote:
bounce08 wrote: I don't know whether to choose R100 or Preservation though. :?:
Preservation is on at 1pm in Discovery 1 and R100 is at 3.30pm in Discovery 2. They don't clash?
Not with each other but I really want to see The Green Inferno and as Im buying individual tickets I can either watch The Green Inferno earlier or later - and the different screening times means I will have to miss either Preservation or R100. I cant make the first TGI screening either in case you were wondering.

So...I dont know. Im leaning towards R100.
crystalake84
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by crystalake84 »

So...I dont know. Im leaning towards R100.[/quote]

If it helps with your decision at all, according to Amazon R100 is out on dvd on 15th September.
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bounce08 »

I'm finding that quite a few of the films being shown are already on Netflix USA (which is easily viewable in the UK with a bit of know how) so I'm changing what I'm going to watch at FrightFest around this and watch all the ones already available beforehand.

So I'm going to have a mini FF marathon tomorrow with Bad Milo, The Den, All Cheerleaders Die. Wolf Creek 2 is also on Netflix USA.

So I now plan on seeing Honeymoon, Preservation, Green Inferno, Exists and The Canal on the Friday so much happier that I'm going to catch a few films that haven't had much of a wide release anywhere yet.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

bounce08 wrote:I'm finding that quite a few of the films being shown are already on Netflix USA (which is easily viewable in the UK with a bit of know how) so I'm changing what I'm going to watch at FrightFest around this and watch all the ones already available beforehand.

So I'm going to have a mini FF marathon tomorrow with Bad Milo, The Den, All Cheerleaders Die. Wolf Creek 2 is also on Netflix USA.
Doc of the Dead is already on Netflix USA too.
benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj »

crystalake84 wrote:So...I dont know. Im leaning towards R100.
If it helps with your decision at all, according to Amazon R100 is out on dvd on 15th September.
Apparently, it's on Film4 on the 24th of August (23:15) too :o

http://www.film4.com/whats-on/frightfest-season-2014
IndianaM
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by IndianaM »

Is this going to affect FF at all? Or will you still screen it?

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/eli-roth- ... -postponed
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

IndianaM wrote:Is this going to affect FF at all? Or will you still screen it?

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/eli-roth- ... -postponed
Probably have no effect, the rights are with Entertainment One in the UK so it's up to them what happens with it. There was a similar situation with a film last year and when I checked with the PR at the UK distributor he didn't even know about any problems as they were just steaming ahead with the UK release.
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bounce08 »

Stage Fright is also on Netflix USA ;) :roll:
stshaw
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by stshaw »

After visits to various other festivals I have already seen around 1/3 (22) of the titles to be screened at Frightfest. There are no spoilers below which limits what I can write. Here are my views on those films. I won't be coming this year :(. Perhaps I'll see you all again next year.

Bad Milo has been available on blu-ray in Germany. This dark comedy has its moments, but at best it is just above average

Among the Living I caught this at Fantasia. It's being sold as Friday 13th meets Stand by me and that description works for me, although the theme of friendship is abandoned after the first half and it becomes as standard slasher. I was slightly disappointed BUT it is still very much worth your time.

Babadook Shown at Amsterdam's Imagine film festival this is a very effective psychological thriller. Recommended.

Creep I managed around 60 films at Fantasia. This is among by top 3. For me it is a must see at FrightFest.

Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead I watched this for a second time with the Fantasia crowd. Its a sequel that improves on the humour of the first. Again this is a must see at FrightFest - particularly when in the company of the FrightFest audience.

Deadly virtues This very small British Home Invasion movie screened at Imagine. I liked it. Recommended.

Drownsman This was my final film at Fantasia. The buzz in the audience was amazing - although perhaps because half of them were cast and crew. An above average slasher.

Faults Another film I saw at Fantasia, I really liked this. Its a bit of a slow burner with a dense intelligent script. THis one is difficult to recommend as its going to be a marmite film.

Green Inferno This one played Fantasy Film Nights in Germany back in March and also Fantasia. Recommended.

Harvest, The Another screening from Fantasia with a really interesting director Q&A. The Harvest is another of my picks of the films I saw at Fantasia. It has a super script and is well acted, particularly by the child actors. Recommended.

House at the end of time I bought a ticket to see this at Fantasia purely as a time filler, but I am glad I did. Very atmospheric and it plays with time in an interesting way. Recommended.

Housebound The best horror comedy for some time I saw this at Dead by Dawn. Its a very easy Must See.

Late Phases Another from Fantasia. I really like the lead character in this film, but its a film I could easily skip to see something else in the lineup.

Life After Beth Brilliant Q&A at Fantasia. Great film. Must see.

Nightmare on Elm Street With Freddy himself in attendance this must be a must see. I still recall the screening he attended at Dead by Dawn many years ago where he was running up and down the aisles scaring people with his Freddy gloves :)

Open Windows The stars didn't make Fantasia :(. An interesting attempt to use social media to tell a story (although Cybernatural which also screened at Fantasia pulled this off more convincingly). It could be missed, but overall I would recommend it.

Shining, The No comment required.

Signal, The This was on general release here in Germany last month (July). I found it very tedious.

Visitor I'm so jealous as I will miss the chance to see this on the big screen.

Wolf Creek 2 This played the Glasgow event. I would recommend it.

Wolfcop Not the worst film I saw at Fantasia, but it came close.

Zombeavers Another film that was transformed by seeing it with a Fantasia audience (it was pulled at the last minute from the Imagine allnighter). I think with a Frightfest crowd behind it this is a must see.

Based upon the films I have seen I would say that the line-up is very solid, I would have no problem watching almost all of the above for a second time, without any obvious great films.
Last edited by stshaw on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
stshaw
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by stshaw »

Wulfster wrote:Most esteemed fellow Fright-festers, could I please trouble you for some advice and/or recommendations? :?:
There's a few annoying clashes in my pre-planned viewing schedule, but by far my most hair-tearing decision is that for the last film on Friday night (22nd).
I'm in screen 7 (Horror channel) and all of the late-night films are ones that I was most desperate to see at the fest!! (*shakes fist at Ian, Greg, Paul, and Alan*).

Namely "Wolfcop" / "Dead Snow 2" / "The Drownsman"
I'm erring towards "Wolfcop", just for the fact that it seems like the perfect Friday Midnight film. But a recommendation from trusted sources would swing it towards either of the other two.
There's no region 2 releases imminent as far as I can see, but I would imagine (if I stopped being lazy) that "Dead Snow 2" is easy enough to get or stream.
Anybody got any views? Would be much appreciated.
Cheers peeps.
Wolfcop was extremely poorly received at the Fantasia screening I attended. I didn't like it. Of the three you list (I have seen them all at other festivals) Dead Snow 2 is the jewel (Drownsman is good but watch that at home when the DVD arrives - Dead Snow 2 is the one to see with a FrightFest crowd).
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

stshaw wrote:Wolfcop was extremely poorly received at the Fantasia screening I attended. I didn't like it. Of the three you list (I have seen them all at other festivals) Dead Snow 2 is the jewel (Drownsman is good but watch that at home when the DVD arrives - Dead Snow 2 is the one to see with a FrightFest crowd).
I've seen a press screener of Wolfcop and it wasn't as bad as I expected. I kinda hate the current trend for attempts at making modern b-movies (which is why I'm ambivalent to the presence of Zombeavers at FF), but its production values were much higher than its premise would give it credit for. Maybe I enjoyed it because my expectations were so low. I'm definitely looking forward to Dead Snow 2 though, even though I found the original lacking. Should be a blast with the FF crowd.

And damn, you attend a lot of festivals! :o