Solo Frightfesters

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
digitalsoul
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Solo Frightfesters

Post by digitalsoul »

Hi

It will be my first experience of Frightfest this year and am dipping my toes in with just a Saturday day pass. Coming up from Sussex on my own (none of my other friends really share my love of horror) and just wondered how many other lone festival goers are out there this year. How's it been as a lone experience for people in previous years and maybe it could even be worth finding a suitable forum for loners like me to get talking and meet up on the day for a bit of pre/post film chat and drinks?

Stewart
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Solo Frightfesters

Post by ArghZombies »

I went on my own a few years back for the whole festival. Didn't mind that at all really. Everyone is good and friendly there and hopefully you'll meet some kind folks who'll happily go with you for lunch or something like that, as happened to me. Still mates with those people now, so it was a good way of meeting new friends.

If you're not already, start chatting to fellow frightfesters on this forum and on twitter and see if anyone is in a similar position to you, then you'll have some good contacts and drinking buddies for when you're at the festival.
Twitter: @ArghZombies
Sue77
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Sue77 »

I've been going solo for a few years now and it's never been a problem. Everyone is so friendly. You'll find people in the seats around you will chat and be company. Also I've never felt ill at ease or troubled walking around London at night. Even at 1-2am there's a lot of traffic and people in the streets, plus often people from Frightfest are walking the same way back to accommodation as yourself.

The Frightfest crowd are a very sociable lot and they've made my past festivals fantastic fun. I hope (and expect) you'll have a blast. :D
Johnfri
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Johnfri »

Hi,

As a veteran from the Prince Charles days, rest assured that by the end of your visit, you will have made a lot of new friends. The weekend pass must be a consideration for you for the future, simply because it is great value for money.

Chat to your seat neighbours, hang out between films in the Square and talk about what you have seen - good, bad, indifferent opinions welcome and please do try and take in a drink or two if you are invited when there is a long gap between the evening movies.

Aside from that, welcome to the FF family :D
Love Machine
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Love Machine »

I've been going on my own, on and off, for years...actually enjoy some time away on my own, and the folk at FF are all friendly. I'd recommend a good book if you are travelling in from outside central London every day (ironically FF is a time when I don't read horror).

Plus once you factor in loo breaks, getting breakfest/lunch/dinner and that most precious of all things at FF, sleep, you don't have much time between films to worry.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

You won't have a problem making friends or starting conversations.
The Frightfest community is easily one of the friendliest and most good-natured gang of reprobates you'll ever likely to meet!

I'm in the same situation with most of my friends (and previous girlfriends) not being interested in the genre, and I have been attending the fest by myself for the past ten years or so. But I've soon sparked up conversations and friendships, with seating neighbours and groups of like-minded individuals.

Personally, I try and cram as many films in as possible, so I'm normally zipping between the showings and food outlets, with not much in-between. But plenty of people will hook up for drinking sessions and meals.

You'll have a great time. We can't all be wrong... :p
Pantera
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Pantera »

Hello everyone,

i'm in the same situation than Stewart. it will be my 1st time at the frighfest festival and i'll be on my own as I come from Belgium. i guess that i'll meet some of you there. :)

see you soon.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

I've met some lovely people over the years at FF - it's very welcoming to new people. Just say hello, talk about the films and what you thought.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

Never fret about going alone, I too did my first year and was lucky enough to meet an ever expanding group of people who are now my best friends both in and outside the festival.

Maybe I just speak for myself, but never be afraid to say hi, I'll chat film shit for days to a vegetarian quiche so it's sometimes nice for talks back
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

scoutthehorizon wrote:I'll chat film shit for days to a vegetarian quiche
I'll bring you an onion bhaji to keep you company over the weekend. :lol:
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

We are a friendly bunch and i did my first 2 years solo...its great and always a good buzz....then you start seeing the familiar faces so it's all good anyway. I'll be the only Indian guy wearing a turban at the festival won't be hard to spot...come say hello..i'll be there for the five days based in the Horror Channel screen.
Pantera
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Pantera »

Reading those last answers, i feel less afraid of coming on my own. Thanx ;)
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

There's nothing to be concerned by. You may find groups of people who all seem to stand round talking to each other but chances are they started off going on their own and it really is a nice and non judgemental environment and a nice way to get to know people - even someone such as myself who is sh*t at social situations and talking to people find FF an event where getting to know people is pretty easy.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
PodOfHorrorsBoz
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by PodOfHorrorsBoz »

Hey everyone.

My first post on the forums and this will be my first frightfest.
Sadly I shall be flying solo this time but I look forward to making the acquaintances of some of the festival goers that give this event such a good reputation.

I shall be wearing a shameless t-shirt promoting our podcast whilst there so should be easy to spot, especially as the ticket I landed is 2 rows back :s

Looking forward to this very much indeed.
See you there.

Boz
The Little Pod of Horrors
PodOfHorrorsBoz
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by PodOfHorrorsBoz »

Pantera wrote:Reading those last answers, i feel less afraid of coming on my own. Thanx ;)
Picking a username like that has put you straight in my good books