Coffee question

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
Sue77
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Coffee question

Post by Sue77 »

I'm curious - how many of you who are attending Frightfest this year are lactose intolerant and would like to be able to buy coffee made with soya milk from the Vue?

At the moment, they are prepared to stock soya milk which I purchase and supply, but they then want to charge me for it once it's mixed into a drink, as their tills are unable to break a drink down into it's components. This means I'd be paying for my soya milk twice. However, if there are enough people to make the Vue supplying the soya a sensible option, I will argue the case.
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Coffee question

Post by scoutthehorizon »

That is INSANE!? I too am lactose intolerant but mainly drink black / be naughty & endure the stomach cramps later. Could you bring the soy in a cooled flask & refrigerate it in your hotel? Or just buy black coffee & then add it yourself if they're willing to store it. However I am MORE than willing to support you at the Vue in getting them to stock a vegan/LI alternative as I think it's quite ridiculous that they don't.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
Sue77
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Sue77 »

Thanks for the support - appreciated :)

I think buying black coffee and personally adding the soya milk I've paid for is the best suggestion I've heard, but if you add cold soya to hot black coffee it often curdles which is just horrid. If I could persuade them to heat it up for me for free so I can add it hot - hey presto perfect coffee! I'll give that a shot, but might wait until I'm there in person. I don't know what equipment they've got yet, plus it may be harder to ignore my points if I make 'em face to face. Sadly, I can't drink it black, that really upsets my stomach.

I am disappointed with the Vue's response so far, but perhaps I've been spoilt by how fantastic the Empire was in this department.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I would have thought that if there was enough demand (from their general customer base, not just Frightfesters) that they would have brought in a dairy-free alternative. If they don't have one by now, then it might suggest they're not interested in catering for those who can't have milk which is a bit sad.

I hope you get somewhere with it, you may even strike a victory for the lactose intolerant!

EDIT: I forgot to add, what do you normally drink? If you usually have a coffee with milk, then I can't see why they can't just charge you for black and let you add your own. If you normally have a latte or cappuccino, then I can understand their position (even if it's a bit mean) because there's a manpower element to prepping the milk which they'll lose out on if they're just charging you for black coffee.
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

Not a perfect solution but there is a Pret a Manger 3 min from the Vue which is open to 11pm and I believe they offer soy milk in all hot drinks.
Sue77
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Sue77 »

@ Malky: That's worth checking out - thank you. A lot depends on how the films I want to see fit together time-wise, but I can check to see what Pret a Manger offer and if it would work as an option for big enough time gaps. I am not quick on my feet!

@ DJBanz: I agree with your point re. manpower which is why I'd check to see what equipment they have before raising the question. The problem lies in the fact that adding cold soya to a hot black coffee often causes curdling. The soya milk needs to be at least warm for the mixing to work. At the Empire, they used to warm the soya up then add a couple of shots of expresso - it was yummy. :D

I started a dialogue with the Vue a few days back and have suggested they consider stocking the soya milk as they can't differentiate between coffee shots and milk on their till system, but if there are others who would be interested in having soya milk available for coffee, I can argue the case for us all.
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

Well I personally find that soy milk tastes like thrush, so I won't be requesting it myself. Plus Pret coffee (as said, nary a hop skip & a jump from view) is much much nicer. But like I said I'm willing to be part of a front to Vue if you believe it will help; let's go all Rosa Parks on it.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

I've always found that the queues in the cinema tend to be so long that it's quicker to get food atba shop or wherever, so Pret may not be a bad alternative.
Eddie Krueger
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Eddie Krueger »

I'm vegan, so happy to support you with this in anyway I can.
Sue77
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Sue77 »

Thanks Eddie - I appreciate the support.

I've heard from the Vue and they have taken my comments on board and will be giving them further consideration nearer the start of Frightfest itself. This is good news for those of us with lactose intolerance who would like to be able to purchase a coffee we can drink at the Vue during the event. On that basis, I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who would be interested in having soya milk available as an option at the Vue. Alternatively, people could email Customer Services at the Vue as there is a good chance this will be a numbers game.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I too would support this.

I drink neither tea, coffee or am lactose intolerant.

What I'm hoping for is tolerant door staff that will let us in with our own drinks and snacks.
Sue77
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Sue77 »

Well I have an email that tells me I can bring coffee and cold food from other sources into the Vue, so you should be fine.

It states:

However, customers are welcome to bring their own food and drink in to the cinema. Hot food and alcohol is not permitted, but if you would like to bring your own coffee that's not a problem.

I'll bring the email with me jic anyone does have a problem. :)
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Theres several good coffee shops in Soho too - Bar Italia is always popular
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Bigcat »

I tend to save up my Café Nero loyalty cards to so I can get a few free massive super-duper coffees over FF weekend.

I never tried the coffee at the Empire, but I usually fancy a comforting hot chocolate for the late film. I'm sure I'll probably do the same at the Vue.

I just spotted on the Vue's website that they have free Wi-Fi. That's a good bonus, although no surfing during the films! :roll:
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Bigcat wrote:I just spotted on the Vue's website that they have free Wi-Fi. That's a good bonus, although no surfing during the films! :roll:
Pretty sure the Empire had WiFi too, but it was turned off during the festival to discourage phone use during films.