The Final Straight

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

The Final Straight

Post by iomega »

I'm moving into the FrightFest hotel tomorrow lunchtime. This is a day earlier than last year and it reflects how serious we are in our efforts to make everything the best that it can possibly be this year.

My house is like a warehouse. It's packed with T-shirts, DVDs, cameras and lights already to be loaded up for the trip into town tomorrow. This is just a fraction of what will be getting delivered over the next couple of days.

I have to be frank, it's been a bit of a bumpy road to FrightFest this year. It's almost been like we were starting from the very beginning again with the new location. For a start we have more cinemas and we have to get used to the way the people who run The VUE West End do things, which is quite different from how they were done at the Empire.

It all started off so well. The Sleepy Queue was longer than ever, but the staff at our new home, the VUE West End cleared it in record time. So quick in fact, we had to bring the start of Alien Abduction, this year's free film forward by 30 minutes. We all know what happened after that. The online sales were a disaster. There is no other way to put it. After all these years we should know better. We go through this almost every year. I think it's time to look at the way that we sell tickets.

Anyway, as I type this it's just a little over four days before everything kicks off, and even though it's a Sunday, I've been putting all the finishing touches to the artwork that is required for the giant canopy outside of the cinema, the signs above doors and even signs to put at the entrance of each of the cinemas to make sure you get to your right seat. It will be interesting to see what the hordes of bank holiday tourists make of our 20ft monster leering down at them.

At this time just before the festival starts its all the millions of little things that need to be done that generally get done. I was off in Kingston today buying pens, Sellotape, sticky labels, Bluetak, we mustn't forget the Bluetak. The festival would grind to a halt if we didn't have Bluetak and Paul was unable to stick his posters up. How glamorous. And that's just the tip of the iceberg of the little things that need to be done.

More later

Ian.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: The Final Straight

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Thanks for all the effort, Ian!
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

Can not wait!! Thank you doing this every year.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Is there one last Discovery Screen to announce or have I missed it being confirmed?
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

that screen will be for very popular re-screenings (if they get sold out)
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
dfletcher88
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by dfletcher88 »

I have no doubt that the event will wipe clear the memories of ticketing fiasco. No point crying over spilt milk, the most you can do is capture the learning's. Excited!
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

zappa fan wrote:that screen will be for very popular re-screenings (if they get sold out)
Ahhh that would make sense
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com