Among the Living

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Among the Living

Post by jonbly »

6/10 - generally OK, but the pacing was off throughout - no time for tension to build. How did Klarence dive through catflaps at first, but not fit through later?
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Among the Living

Post by Stephen with ph »

:| Sporadically scarey, occasionally nasty but ultimately pointless.
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scarebear »

Really liked this film, ive not seen the directors other two movies, but based on this im definitely gonna check them out. Some Good scares and tension in many places.
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

Best Kill - by bare foot
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Massive, massive disappointment given the directors' previous work. Yes, it was reasonably stylish but that's not enough.

I can't for the life of me understand how they came up with such a feeble, lazy, urbanised Hills Have Eyes ripoff of a plot... and then actually thought it was worth making a film out of it.
Last edited by The Soapmaker on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I didn't really like it. A shame as I thought that Bustillo and Maury's Inside was a modern classic of intense terror and Livid was good. The setup of why the kids are targeted doesn't make sense: the bearded guy insists that the police will eventually take the kids seriously, but surely the police would be more inclined to believe the kids' story if they and their families are brutally murdered overnight? Then again, this is a police force that seems to have the response time of a sedated snail.
There are some good spooky moments and tension towards the end, and the film is pleasantly unsentimental, but it really doesn't feel particularly satisfying or memorable.
4/10
jerichodark
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by jerichodark »

I can almost forgive them anything given the fact that I think A L'IInterieur is the best horror film of the last 20 years. It's always good to see Beatrice Dalle cutting loose. That said, why shoot a bloodless film for 50 minutes then throw in some horrific images in the last 20? It was OK but uneven.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

8/10 for me. Really enjoyed it. Full of genre tropes and plot holes, but I found it exciting and engaging. Livid and Inside are on my wall of shame, but I'll certainly be checking them out if this is the directors' worst work to some.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

I loved Inside so had high hopes. But I just felt that the tone was not right. Started off quite well. One or two moments of gore, but the majority off screen - an I thought the death by foot was pretty silly. Once Klarence was revealed he did not look particularly freaky or such like. A damp squib. How did Klarence know where to go, he only had the address of the final kid.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Had high hopes too.

Was let down.

No scares, average gore, but well acted, just oddly paced and ends up being rather a non-entity.

Plus the main kid looked too much like Rowan Atkinson.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Really dissapointing. Not really enough substance in there. Wishy-washy and all over the place. Also, naked man with weird bits was not scary just added a bit of absurdity that didn't help. was far better when he had a hood and mask on. wouldn't watch again or recommend.
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

Great Horror film, and my favorite film of the Festival. I just love the way their movies always look so cinematic.

Kind of Stand By Me meets Switchblade Romance, With a suitable amount of Top Violence, the opening baseball beating, and the shock of putting a baby in the washing machine. A proper Frightfest shocker.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A coming of age cum modern day fairytale. At times it felt a little horror-lite (e.g. the off-screen kills) but at other times there was plenty of gore on show. Both sides of the story were a tragedy too, which add to the drama. Overall I enjoyed this, but if it had been a little better still it could have been a contender for one of the best films of the fest. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.