The Shining

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
hingethunder
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

The Shining

Post by hingethunder »

So for some reason (possibly that reason being the booklet giving the running time as 146 minutes and the big poster at the VUE saying "rare screening of the extended US cut") I thought we were getting a rare screening of the extended US cut.

Oh well, great film anyway and at least the non-rare screening of the shortened UK cut meant I got out in time to see the excellent "House at the End of Time".

Q&A with Jan Harlan was very interesting. Amused by the woman who realised she was in the wrong screen when Jan Harlan was introduced as Stanley Kubrick's collaborator by Kim Newman at the start.
Lunny68
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

The Shining

Post by Lunny68 »

The screening of The Shining tonight was great, but it certainly wasn't the extended US version as advertised - as I know both versions very well. (The longer cut used to be the version that ITV would show, and I've had a region 1 DVD of it for some time) The fantastic Jan Harlan Q&A certainly made up for this, but does anyone know what occurred, and why we just got the version that most people have seen umpteen times without explanation?
Lunny68
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: The Shining

Post by Lunny68 »

Ah great minds, posted at the same time!!
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

Agreed! Jan Harlan Q&A was great
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Donut
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Donut »

Suppose i've now seen both versions on the big screen. Was worth it for the excellent and very funny Q+A.
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

Quick question - what did people think of the shorter version?

I realised I've not seen the 119 minute cut since the mid-90s. All my DVDs/bu-rays have been the longer cut.

Think the longer cut is superior, but be interested to read what the opinion is on pacing / character, etc.
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
Scrofulous Peasant
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Scrofulous Peasant »

One of the very few examples of where I prefer the shorter cut of a film. The longer cut gives too much away in advance. e.g. the first sight of the girls in the corridor has less impact in the longer cut. The pacing is not nearly as good in the longer cut.