Lost Soul - Richard Stanley's Doomed Journey...

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Lost Soul - Richard Stanley's Doomed Journey...

Post by sherbetbizarre »

After his Dust Devil experience left him penniless, Richard Stanley teamed up with Frightfest illustrator Graham Humphreys to storyboard a new version of H.G. Wells' The Island of Dr.Moreau, a project eventually green-lit by New Line Cinema.

The budget swells once actors like Bruce Willis & James Woods come and go - and Val Kilmer/Marlon Brando staying the course - but the film is derailed by a perfect storm of Kilmer's being a dick, producers deciding Stanley is out of his depth, and an actual storm trashing the set, creating one of those "what if" lost movies.

This excellent documentary charts its rise and fall, with many of the people in front and behind the camera recounting their experiences, including the sacked Stanley infiltrating the set as a masked extra!

The Dr.Moreau film was finished veteran John Frankenheimer - and there's a lengthy segment in this doc detailing Marlon Brando's "creative input" which is a laugh-riot, leading to actress Fairuza Bulk deducing he was "just fucking with the production".

Great stuff, and my film of the fest so far...
Lost Highway
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Lost Soul - Richard Stanley's Doomed Journey...

Post by Lost Highway »

I wasn't able to make the screening, but I really want to see this. I hope this gets at least a DVD release at some point.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

It will next year apparently.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Amazon Prime, FreeVee and plex.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey