Coherence

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
Post Reply
User avatar
TheDukeAbides
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 pm
Location: North West of England
Contact:

Coherence

Post by TheDukeAbides » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:24 pm

With the greatest respect to Evrim Ersoy, I feel the thread he started should be for the party and Coherence, behind a stand alone film should have its own thread.

Mainly because it was a tie for me with the best film of the festival.

Nice to be able to have a phone call with the director before hand (him being in North America) and then being able to contact him on twitter afterwards for Q&A.

Loved this film, be interesting to see how it plays on a second viewing, but a very effective sci-fi puzzle movie.

Well acted - which the director said was 98% unscripted, shot over 5 nights and the cast didn't really know what was going on so they felt as confused as the characters the portrayed.

Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:55 pm
Location: London

Re: Coherence

Post by Bigcat » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:40 pm

TheDukeAbides wrote:Well acted - which the director said was 98% unscripted, shot over 5 nights and the cast didn't really know what was going on so they felt as confused as the characters the portrayed.
I did wonder if that was the case.

This one safely made my top three of the festival. A superb concept, executed brilliantly. Given what it was about, it could easily have been a confusing mess, over complex, silly or unconvincing, but it fell into none of those traps. One I will watch again and recommend.

User avatar
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 am
Contact:

Re: Coherence

Post by morralex » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Bigcat wrote:
TheDukeAbides wrote:Well acted - which the director said was 98% unscripted, shot over 5 nights and the cast didn't really know what was going on so they felt as confused as the characters the portrayed.
I did wonder if that was the case.

This one safely made my top three of the festival. A superb concept, executed brilliantly. Given what it was about, it could easily have been a confusing mess, over complex, silly or unconvincing, but it fell into none of those traps. One I will watch again and recommend.

Completelty agree, one of the best of the fest. Not confusing or over-complicated but makes you think about it long after credits roll. :eek:
@necrobaker

User avatar
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 am
Contact:

Re: Coherence

Post by morralex » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Also, actually really scary. Not in a jumpy way or anything but in a 'what if' kinda way!
@necrobaker

Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:55 pm
Location: London

Re: Coherence

Post by Bigcat » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:44 pm

morralex wrote:Also, actually really scary. Not in a jumpy way or anything but in a 'what if' kinda way!
Yes, totally!

Alex J
Undead Horde
Undead Horde
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:30 pm
Location: The Back Of The Beyond

Re: Coherence

Post by Alex J » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:01 pm

Profound, thought provoking and mind-bending. An intriguing yarn with interesting characters. Perhaps not for those who prefer faster paced fare, while it will be interesting to see how well it stands up to repeat viewings. Still, I thought it was a fiendish puzzler that kept me thinking - and how many films can you say that about these days? 9 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

domdunc
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Coherence

Post by domdunc » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:34 am

reminded me of Primer, one of my all time favourite films.

Post Reply