T-Shirts

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

T-Shirts

Post by benj »

I know it's hardly the most pressing of issues but I was curious if anyone else has been disappointed with the official Frightfest t-shirt in the last two years?

Don't get me wrong, Graham's artwork is still fantastic, it's just the way it's now reproduced with the garish punky colours on the t-shirts that irks me. I still wear the heck out of my FF 13 t-shirt with it's dirty subdued colours but not my FF 14 t-shirt with its solid in-your-face colours. I hoped that was just a bad year for the print process but FF 15 confirmed this print style seems to be what FF is sticking with. Needless to say I didn't buy one last year which made me sad but deep down I know I'd've never worn it in public anyway.

Anyone else longing for the days of the more subtle colours and shading? And is FF planning on sticking with this style?
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: T-Shirts

Post by MalJutley »

I see where you're coming from. Last years t shirt although was well designed wasn't as good as previous years and I was disappointed by not having the list of films for the festival on the back. That was always good too.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

I'm guessing there is too many films to add. Been a while since I've purchased one. Will do this year. Plus I need a new cap hint hint.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I've never bought one because the design/print has never been (to me) appealing enough, but given that it's Graham Humphreys' art it definitely should be.
benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj »

Shows how much I disliked last year's t-shirt that I didn't even turn it over to realise the films weren't listed! Yeah, I'd've thought that should be a requirement for a film festival t-shirt. Otherwise it's like having a band tour t-shirt with no venues and dates on the back. It's also like a badge of honour: "Look how many films I endured" (even though it's not actually possible to see them all).

I'm guessing Graham's detailed artwork isn't the easiest to transfer to fabric and even how it was a couple of years back may not be to everyone's taste, but at least it was something you could happily wear on the street without people running away clawing at their eyeballs. I find it hard to imagine what kind of a person would tolerate the day-glo solid colours from the last two years' prints aside from excitable kids and blind people.

But, hey, maybe that's just me?
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

benj wrote:I'm guessing Graham's detailed artwork isn't the easiest to transfer to fabric
I got these done for FF 2013:

This is via DTG (direct to garment) printing from an original artwork by Rick Melton who paints in a similarly detailed style to Graham. These came in at just over £11 a shirt if I remember rightly, for a run of 11 shirts with the backprint. In fairness, DTG is more suited to smaller runs, but gives a much more detailed print than screen printing which is suitable for larger runs.
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

To be fair i only realised films weren't listed when i got home. I printed my own t shirts year before last. A german VHS cover of Friday the 13th and the Amityville house both on black t shirts. I may do the same this year
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

For me the art designs have always been gorgeous. Can forgive last years slight drop in quality and range as they did have an entire venue shift to deal with! The only constructive criticism I'd add is the films roster on the back print is a big big thing for many people. I know the missing lineup did stop a few of my compadre's buying last years.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon