Discovery tickets sold out for pass holders but single tickets still available

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
pat99
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Discovery tickets sold out for pass holders but single tickets still available

Post by pat99 »

Hi,

At the moment there are 3 movies on the SPLICE MEDIA DISCOVERY SCREEN that are sold out to pass holders but
there are still single tickets available. Wanted to see Blood sucking bastards.

What's the point of buying day passes?
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Discovery tickets sold out for pass holders but single tickets still available

Post by Commodore »

Hopefully Ian or one of the other organisers will be along in a moment to confirm, but usually the way the Disco screens work is that unsold seats will be released to pass holders either on the morning of that day's screenings, or right before the screening of the individual movie (so that if you go and queue by the screen, and there are unoccupied seats come start time, you can get in).

So it's not all over just yet.
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Discovery tickets sold out for pass holders but single tickets still available

Post by scarebear »

pat99 wrote:Hi,

At the moment there are 3 movies on the SPLICE MEDIA DISCOVERY SCREEN that are sold out to pass holders but
there are still single tickets available. Wanted to see Blood sucking bastards.

What's the point of buying day passes?
Hi totally agree. I wanted to see Howl but because the booking system went mad on Sunday morning and it took me 2 hours to get in, by the time i got there, all the tickets for pass holders had gone. And it was only due to some kind chap on the forum who told me that there were still tickets available to buy that i managed to get one.

It does seem strange but anyway, I hope the movies worth it now!
ian
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ian »

it does seem annoying but consider being someone who cannot attend/afford a whole day and finding out Howl/Bite/whatever has entirely sold out based on people who shelled out for full day passes. It would come across that the only way to see a popular frightfest film was to spend £50 (or whatever a day pass is) and that would cause as much grief on social media i am sure.

from what i can gather the only way to get in in previous years was to get in dead early and queue for these tickets so nothing has actually changed, you seem to still be as likely to get in to a smaller screening with a lot of hype around it.
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

I think it makes sense to have a proportion of tickets available for individual buyers in every screen - this allows people who want to watch one or two films a way to access the festival. Every year there are a few films that end up being in a screen with a mismatched capacity - either too big or too small - due to the various factors affecting the scheduling of the festival and the fact that the profile of and 'buzz' surrounding films changes in the run up to the opening night. If you listen to the film-makers and the organisers before, during and after the festival, you can often pick up on how and why decisions have been made - I'd love to read a book about the history and politics of the festival at some point in the future, but for now I'll just live it. Sometimes there just aren't enough seats for the films you want to see, so you enjoy something else! I hope that soon you can come to terms with your disappointment and that you one day complete your quest to watch Blood Sucking Bastards. I'm going to watch We Are Still Here at that time.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Someone on Facebook put it very well; it comes down to revenue. Pass holders are one revenue stream, individual ticket sales are another. Like it or not, Frightfest is a commercial operation and needs to be financially viable in order for it to happen each year, so the balance between what's available to pass holders and the general (paying) public has to be carefully managed.
Lunny68
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Lunny68 »

If it wasn't for individual tickets, I would have never had discovered Frightfest. I found out about a screening of a new print of An American Werewolf in London, which was showing at the Empire, with John Landis in attendance. When I arrived, I realised that it was part of this wonderful festival. The following year, I did a few single tickets just to get more of a taste of it, before doing day passes the next year and a full pass the year after.

Not everyone wants to commit to the whole hog the first time around!!